I want to document this mod, so i have some questions...

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
VectorM
MJ12

I want to document this mod, so i have some questions...

Post by VectorM »

So i've decided to try and archive what i like about this mod so much, admittedly, in a lame format (Let's Play), due to my inexperience with video editing and production. It feels like as time goes on, this mod will just be forgotten about, so i want to try and archive what i care about, in a format that I generally enjoy. I don't actually watch Let's Plays in general, but there are a few creators that i feel did a great job at showing of games that they really care about. So i want to do something similar to them.

However, there are a few things that still mystify me to this day, and i want to show off some of the more "whoa" elements of the mod (like eggs and the Narcissus ending).

1. What exactly is the "Big secret" about this game, that i've missed? i remember Jonas hinting about it years ago, allegedly it's not in Hassat Hunter's walkthrough. Best thing I could think off i summoning Jonas to talk to you in Swedish at the old forum ruins.

2. Where are the screenshots from Human Revolution? I haven't played in some time, but I have a vague memory of them being in the Easter Egg room at World Corp. If not, then where are they?

3. How many of the people involved actually moved on to doing anything gaming, or even software related? I know Jonas has his own studio now, but is there any info on what the rest are doing? I feel it is something worth learning about, it's interesting to see how a once really ambitious mod manged to affect the lives of people, be it negatively or positively.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: I want to document this mod, so i have some questions...

Post by Jonas »

VectorM wrote:1. What exactly is the "Big secret" about this game, that i've missed? i remember Jonas hinting about it years ago, allegedly it's not in Hassat Hunter's walkthrough. Best thing I could think off i summoning Jonas to talk to you in Swedish at the old forum ruins.
TNM has a lot of secrets, but I don't believe any of them have gone undiscovered. I also don't remember what was and wasn't in Hassat's playthrough. Other than the easter eggs, the major secret is the conspiracy between the Goats, the Llamas, Aunt Betty, and Yardbomb. And one other character I think, whom I have forgotten. Regrettably I have completely forgotten how to find that secret, if that's even the one you were thinking of. There are clues hidden in a couple of places in the mod, maybe somebody with a better memory than I will pop in and explain it.
2. Where are the screenshots from Human Revolution? I haven't played in some time, but I have a vague memory of them being in the Easter Egg room at World Corp. If not, then where are they?
Oh jeez... uhm one of them is in a secret room in the Corporate District, I think. I believe you have to blow up a wall or something to get in there, god damn it's been a long time.
3. How many of the people involved actually moved on to doing anything gaming, or even software related? I know Jonas has his own studio now, but is there any info on what the rest are doing? I feel it is something worth learning about, it's interesting to see how a once really ambitious mod manged to affect the lives of people, be it negatively or positively.
Both Leobad and That Guy have worked on Logic Artists projects. NVShacker worked at Telltale as a tools programmer for some years and is now working on Lumber Yard for Amazon. Those are the only examples I know of.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Jonas wrote:The major secret is the conspiracy between the Goats, the Llamas, Aunt Betty, and Yardbomb
Can you elaborate? I've always had a problem paying proper attention to the side stories (or the overall story in general at times, seems a lot of games i play i somehow miss key elements).
Both Leobad and That Guy have worked on Logic Artists projects. NVShacker worked at Telltale as a tools programmer for some years and is now working on Lumber Yard for Amazon.
Interesting. One guy that got stuck in my head is Beeblequix. I really liked his voice and acting in the game, something about his hideout and demeanor makes me feel really comfy for some reason. He made a thread some years ago, where he talked about his life. Learning that his wife died (i really hope i remember this correctly), only to then pull himself back up and find another partner and settle in a nice home with lots of furry animals. Was really heart warming. Makes me feel bad i won't be able to tell his story properly, but oh well.
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

VectorM wrote:1. What exactly is the "Big secret" about this game, that i've missed? i remember Jonas hinting about it years ago, allegedly it's not in Hassat Hunter's walkthrough. Best thing I could think off i summoning Jonas to talk to you in Swedish at the old forum ruins.
Jonas wrote:TNM has a lot of secrets, but I don't believe any of them have gone undiscovered. I also don't remember what was and wasn't in Hassat's playthrough. Other than the easter eggs, the major secret is the conspiracy between the Goats, the Llamas, Aunt Betty, and Yardbomb. And one other character I think, whom I have forgotten. Regrettably I have completely forgotten how to find that secret, if that's even the one you were thinking of. There are clues hidden in a couple of places in the mod, maybe somebody with a better memory than I will pop in and explain it.
You called?
;)

The connections between the Goats, Llamas, and Yardbomb (voodoo) can be found in the Goats Templae.
The leader of the Goats, Yardbomb, and the original leader of the Llamas, joined forces to set up a suite of religious belief structures to suit the Beliefs of the various Users in PDXFC.
The current leader of the Llamas murdered the original leader of the Llamas, and the plan was broken. His lack of knowledge of that agreement and his militancy against the Goats, is what has driven the conflict to its current state.
VectorM wrote:2. Where are the screenshots from Human Revolution? I haven't played in some time, but I have a vague memory of them being in the Easter Egg room at World Corp. If not, then where are they?
Jonas wrote:Oh jeez... uhm one of them is in a secret room in the Corporate District, I think. I believe you have to blow up a wall or something to get in there, god damn it's been a long time.
Pretty good memory on this one.
The pictures are content that Eidos made publicly available back when DXHR was still known as DeusEx 3
It's behind a breakable roller door in the Corporate District.
From outside the GITM building where PDX relocated to, look towards where WorldCorp is.
Behind the bus shelter to your left is where the breakable roller door is, with the Easter Egg and the DX3 pictures.

I didn't even need to launch TNM to remember this one.
Although if ZP does a redesign on the Corporate District things might change, I've read about his plans for Downtown.
Content Side of 1.0.5 thread here in the TNM Discussion section.

I'm back playing TNM, after needing to do a complete system upgrade after a major motherboard failure, and I found out that TNM v1.0.5 was available, so I've installed it.
Looking forwards to seeing the changes between this and 1.0.4+

edit: fix typos
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There are very few changes in the pseudo-105 packages I uploaded. It seems the only changes that made it in is that I improved the other apartments in Phasmatis' building, added a couple of enterable apartments in the slums, in that building you could only walk through the halls of originally, and replaced the overly primitive shanty-town-ish buildings in the plaza with a basketball court and playground. We were working on a bunch of other improvements back in the day, like adding modelled and animated vegetation to the grass all over the city and making the whole mod fully HDTP-compatible, but none of that ever made it to a working state.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

So there is this one security guard sitting in front of that tall building between World Corp and PDX. He actually has a lot of dialog, despite being unimportant. Remember what the story is with him?

Edit: His name is Gelo. It seems you put him there to give the player some lore and direction towards the club, yes? Sorry if these questions are annoying, but i find this stuff fascinating.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Gelo was our voice-over manager for a long time and helped out with writing and editing as well. Eventually he was doing all sorts of project management. That character is there because I wanted him to be in the game, but he joined too late to get a major role. He wrote and voiced his own conversations, and snippets of his novel are distributed throughout Forum City as well :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Jonas wrote:Gelo was our voice-over manager for a long time and helped out with writing and editing as well. Eventually he was doing all sorts of project management. That character is there because I wanted him to be in the game, but he joined too late to get a major role. He wrote and voiced his own conversations, and snippets of his novel are distributed throughout Forum City as well :)
Really, really interesting! I am basically doing a full playthrough on the WC side, trying to get familiar with things i've forgotten, and trying to also find the meta story behind certain places, characters, and design decisions. My intent is to try and tell those stories when i start recording, sort of a 3rd party developer commentary.

Thanks for for the help, Jonas!
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

1. The "Big secret" was that if you pressed a button in WC to enter the AI's room (I think) a hatch would open behind you with some loot. It made the walkthrough after being told in the 1.0.4+ edit.

2. There should be a shutter close to the PDX HQ that shows them upon being blown apart.

3 (sortish). Beeblequix is voiced by a rather famous "free" voice actor Edwyn Tiong (who also did a bunch of professional stuff as seen here http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3701984/ ), who you'll hear a lot around. I personally know him most as Leo from the VGCats animated clips, though he also plays a few roles in M4-78EP, a KOTOR2 mod I worked on. I don't really know much of his personal life but googling his name should help out there.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

VectorM wrote:find the meta story behind certain places, characters, and design decisions. My intent is to try and tell those stories when i start recording, sort of a 3rd party developer commentary.
As I recall, about everything in TNM has some connection to people in DX forums (usually Planet Deus Ex, but DX Editing gets a look-in too), threads in DX forums (for example, "Sol's Bar" was named after a rather longish popular thread in the Off Topic area of PDX), or other events. If you ask around here, you'll probably be able to get most all of them if anyone still hangs around that remembers.

I didn't get to be too involved in the layout of TNM (guess I came around too late), but I will tell you a story of a user I was involved with. I'm not sure though if this is the exact inspiration for the poster - you'd have to ask someone else for that. If you look at the poster inside of Sol's Bar that starts with "Wanted (Alive and Happy) for the murder of El Cid", this refers to a user that showed up on the old PDX forum. There was a "your favorite weapon" thread and we were making our post and all that and this guy named "El Cid" starts responding about the Dragon's Tooth Sword saying we were lying and how stupid we were being saying we could do certain things like taking out milbots with them.

I (and another guy) started posting videos of us doing all these things he said was stupid in response. I still have mine somewhere I think, but for that time they were pretty bad (even in comparison to my Youtube walkthrough sub). Mine was taking out a milbot, throwing TNT without getting hurt, taking out Gunther and Walton, and finally doing the first part of Vandenberg (releasing the base lockdown), all in response to what El Cid was writing, all with nothing but Low-Tech weapons, Environmental tools, and Augs. It was kinda funny, but the guy would just keep going and wouldn't ever admit he was wrong, even with video evidence in front of him.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

El Cid was around for a long time actually. I think it started with him announcing a mod project he was starting, and when people offered him advice and warnings he took it pretty badly. I believe he eventually managed to antagonise everyone. He even showed up here to post for a little bit, and I got into some flame wars with him. Not my finest hour :(
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nalle
Thug

Post by nalle »

Hassat Hunter wrote:1. The "Big secret" was that if you pressed a button in WC to enter the AI's room (I think) a hatch would open behind you with some loot. It made the walkthrough after being told in the 1.0.4+ edit.
Could you elaborate on this? I'm unable to find this secret and it's mention in the walkthrough.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

My memory isn't perfect, but I'll try and describe it the best I can.

You need to find the BLACK ICE terminal in the WorldCorp building, the part above the surface. If memory serves me right it should be on the 2nd floor, past the area with the retinal/hand scanner and the bot - the EMP Pistol/Corona project area.

After you get past the lasers, there'll be 3 doors with a switch for each, which should allow you to access the BLACK ICE terminal. This is the are where you shouldn't progress past for the secret.

Press the middle switch - it'll open the door AND SIMULTANEOUSLY open a hatch on the wall behind you, near the floor. It will close automatically after a second or two. You need to press the switch and turn around quickly to loot its contents.

And that is the hardest secret to find in TNM.
nalle
Thug

Post by nalle »

Made in China wrote:My memory isn't perfect, but I'll try and describe it the best I can.

You need to find the BLACK ICE terminal in the WorldCorp building, the part above the surface. If memory serves me right it should be on the 2nd floor, past the area with the retinal/hand scanner and the bot - the EMP Pistol/Corona project area.

After you get past the lasers, there'll be 3 doors with a switch for each, which should allow you to access the BLACK ICE terminal. This is the are where you shouldn't progress past for the secret.

Press the middle switch - it'll open the door AND SIMULTANEOUSLY open a hatch on the wall behind you, near the floor. It will close automatically after a second or two. You need to press the switch and turn around quickly to loot its contents.

And that is the hardest secret to find in TNM.
Wow, that's provokingly difficult to find unless you know it's there. Thanks buddy for helping me out.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:El Cid was around for a long time actually. I think it started with him announcing a mod project he was starting, and when people offered him advice and warnings he took it pretty badly. I believe he eventually managed to antagonise everyone. He even showed up here to post for a little bit, and I got into some flame wars with him. Not my finest hour :(
Good to know that wasn't the only thread he did that on. As I recalled, that was the first time I saw him. That was pretty much the reaction I got off of him in his responses to that thread I mentioned. Very annoying in making his assertions and couldn't admit when he was wrong, despite the videos that were being posted. Don't know what he was thinking, but it was like "Come on, really!".