Bizzaro World

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Perhaps a world (or simply a city) with the 10,000 former Forum City residents DDL scared away? Given the amount of people in one vs. the other one would think they'd have a much more impressive city.

The image in my head is a ghost world but DDL scared them away, not killed them. So alternate city seems a better idea than ghost world. I'm suddenly imagining Cid, before he was killed, arriving in the city and uniting them. From then on they were known as the Cidites and they valued the ability to stick with an idea no matter what evidence was leveled against it above all else. They would be a powerful faction in the world if they weren't 10,000 different factions all saying, "No, YOU are the arrogant one, I have provided proof now you must prove your claims," to each other.

He makes such a good fictional character.

-

No, I don't think that will appear, but I think about these things because ... well I'm me.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahah, well you know... text devices are really easy to implement :lol:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Jonas wrote:Hahah, well you know... text devices are really easy to implement :lol:
You should call is something like 'Don Cid-xote' [Sid-Ho-tay] and talk about how he battled giant talking forum-mills and had an aptitude for being abnormally stubborn.

I was referencing 'Don Quixote, the Man of La Mancha' if you hadn't already caught on :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uh yeah, I picked that one up ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:Hahah, well you know... text devices are really easy to implement :lol:
Of the enemies that Forum City has faced historians generally agree that El Cid was the most humorous yet little is known about El Cid's activities outside our borders. Some tracked him to the twin cities of ATS and BTS but his time there ended abruptly. When the first attempts were made to track him he appeared at the great metropolis of GS spewing a message of hate, but was soon forcibly removed.

Clearly there are large gaps in our understanding. Where did he come from? Where did he go between his infamous goodbye and his timely death at the hands of Pointman?

One theory, though not one widely accepted, is that he went to the mirror city. The fabled land of the banned, the disposed, the expulsed, the ostracized, the ousted, the shunned, the spurned and the snubbed. In short, the expatriates. The ten thousand that had been forgotten until El Cid reminded us. Most believe this city doesn't exist, but all agree that if a city with such an abundance of thes existed El Cid would fit right in.

After Cid was killed ... well there were celebrations, but after the celebrations ended some people wondered just where he had been and an expedition was sent to find the fabled mirror city. The expedition was largely uneventful, no one died and the psychological trauma was ironed out with just a few months of therapy. Were it not for the fact that they claimed to have found the 10,000 the expedition would have been forgotten.

It is said that they made their way into a great city that was a negative image of our own for all those that did not belong here wound up there, all ideas and practices that are not permitted here are encouraged there. It is said that they knew they were in the right place when they heard someone say, "You are being arrogant, I have provided proof that El Cid agreed with me. Have you provided proof?"

It is said the Cidites are diverse and numerous, ranging from, "Verily I say that it is you, not I, who is partaking in arrogance," to, "No! J00 R Arogent!!111!" and all united in a hatred for us. The explorers were horrified to learn that El Cid had united them all with his "proofs", turned what had been a mild distaste at being discouraged and a common fear of DDL into seething hatred and had been ready to lead the attack when something happened, and he disappeared.

The explorers learned that some legends say, "El Cid will one day return, and no we are not being arrogant," while other theories say, "Your behavior is arrogant." It is said that after spending a month in the city, the first ten days of which was spent proving that they didn't know the city's history and really did want to learn, they left having concluded various things including but not limited to:
1 It is impossible to convince a Cidite he or she is wrong.
2 These people's devotions to their own viewpoints and ability to ignore all other considerations (logic, reality, incoming missiles) combined with their numbers could make them a nigh unstoppable force if they were to work together.
3 These people's devotions to their own viewpoints and ability to ignore all other considerations makes it unlikely bordering on impossible for them to work together.
4 The time had come to get out of there.
5 They couldn't take much more of that.
6 They never wanted to go back.

One member of the expedition got fed up, killed several Cidites with a DTS and, while the other Cidites were explaining that no, the DTS could not possibly have prevailed against the heavy weapon armed Cidites, was dragged out of the city by his companions and has since stopped frothing at the mouth.

When the expedition returned they were not, in fact, committed. In spite of what Cid may have said we do not ill treat those with other viewpoints. We roll our eyes. Unfortunately this practice of eye rolling has made it so that the claims of the mirror city were never investigated. There is no evidence for or against the great fortress of the Cidites. It is regarded as a modern myth and nothing more.

Yet even those who maintain that there could not be such a city are at a loss to explain exactly where it was that El Cid went, or why his beliefs had been reaffirmed in the time he was gone.

-

[Edited to correct typographical errors, this post is now erer fre.]
Last edited by chris the cynic on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

This may very well be the most esoteric in-joke in the entire game... but it's in.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Actually, one thing about Cid is know beyond all possible doubt: his hobby is chivalry :lol:
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Xavier L.
Thug

Post by Xavier L. »

Umh... mirror cities, a Don Quijote wannabe, a weird "El Cid"... Wow, TNM is going to be a great mod! :D (serioulsy, I'm not being sarcastic)
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

El Cid was that guy that made the "Power & Love" mod right? :?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

warman wrote:El Cid was that guy that made the "Power & Love" mod right? :?
Well, he was the guy that *tried* to make it, yes.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

warman wrote:El Cid was that guy that made the "Power & Love" mod right? :?
That is such a small part of what El Cid was.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdeusex ... id=1981278
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

:lol:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Xavier L. wrote:Umh... mirror cities, a Don Quijote wannabe, a weird "El Cid"... Wow, TNM is going to be a great mod! :D (serioulsy, I'm not being sarcastic)
Hahah, I meant I implemented Chris' post as a book in the mod, we're not actually putting all that stuff in the game at this point, that'd be crazy ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

chris the cynic wrote:That is such a small part of what El Cid was.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdeusex ... id=1981278
Wow.

I thought fan girls were scary. :shock:
El_Cid
Thug

Waever

Post by El_Cid »

TBH, I never desired to reply to any posts written by any user of PDXF or OTPF. While I will continue to ignore the former forum, the insults and other abusive posts written by JW and his clique are messages to which I must reply because of how offensive they are.

Rarely have I read such insultive messages. I've been using different forums for 2 years and have never read such messages before.

JW, you enjoyed an opportunity to not only produce a good mod, but also create a forum which would be used by thousands of people, who would respect, not despise you.

Instead, you have founded a clique of longtime DX players who consider everyone not belonging to the clique (whether they are noobs or people who played DX for a long time) to be less wise/intelligent/respectable than them. You and your colleagues also spent much time writing rubbish (PDXF). You hardly ever worked to finish your mod, which you have failed to finish so far. You declared you began working 5 years ago, and you cannot even produce all the maps.

You and your colleagues are all marked by one skill, however - the ability to viciously insult/slander/defame other people. But you don't slander morons, but instead the community's loyal members. You prefer to make them waste time by debating with you, knowing that they will not allow the lies you write to be unanswered. If they do, you declare you have won.

Don't know about the others, but you and Trestkon are obviously afraid of me. When I declared that I needed staff to produce a mod you and Trestkon began to defame me to prevent me from succeeding. I was surprised by how arrogantly you behaved to make me resign and stop using PDXF. But you weren't satisfied when I did, you needed to further insult me, even when I wasn't using any of the forums you administrate/moderate, you needed to insult a man who couldn't even defend himself because he didn't know he was being offended. And a member of your clique, Sargasm, banned me so that I couldn't criticise you. So you are allowed to insult me, but I am not allowed to call you folks kids.

What you and your colleagues have written during the last 3 months are the most recent examples of who you folks really are. You aren't even satisfied after you have written dozens of offensive messages, you now need to use your mod to insult me.

You are an arrogant, frustrated, childish person, as are those of your TNM/OTP/PDXF colleagues who have slandered me like you did (I call them your colleagues). Your mod may never be finished, or finished by 2010, but nevertheless you ARE an arrogant person, you, because of whom I have wasted so much time.

Stop using the name El_Cid for any purposes. I asked you not to do so.
Last edited by El_Cid on Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.