Well that was a giggle

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
symuun
Mole Person

Well that was a giggle

Post by symuun »

Hey guys,

I finished my first playthrough last night and, well, what can I say? Hell of an achievement. =D>

I only got Deus Ex earlier this year- it might even have been a result of all the hype about you guys, in fact- but I loved it, and I'm saddened that no game since has really aimed that high and achieved that kind of depth. Except, apparently, for The Nameless Mod. The huge amounts of time and effort and pure love that you've put into this mod are plain to see, and I loved just wandering around the city discovering all these weird and wonderful characters and little details you've scattered all over the place. I also can't remember the last time a game had me screaming in frustration so violently and frequently as it crashed to desktop every five minutes (usually when I use quickload, for some reason), but I'd inevitably dive straight back in, because the game itself is that good.

I can't call it perfect- those enemies in the final mission had me really irritated, for instance, and by the end I was just switching on God mode every time I saw them- but when I got through and the credits started to roll, all I could do was sit back and grin. TNM's been an absolute hoot to play; it's the game of the year as far as I'm concerned, and I can't wait to see what your next project turns out like. Here's hoping it takes a little less time, eh? :)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Well that was a giggle

Post by bobby 55 »

Hi, welcome to the forums. I'm glad you enjoyed it but for the crashes. Which version are you playing?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey symuun, welcome to the forums and thanks for your kind words. I'm very sorry to hear about the crashes, did you remember to patch the game before playing? We fixed that quickload crash back in version 1.0.2, I believe :)

Remember to play the other storyline too ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, use the patch... they severly lower the amount of annoyingly mini-aliens as well! ;)

But I guess we can congratulate you as a 1.0.0 OSC survivor?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Yeah, use the patch... they severly lower the amount of annoyingly mini-aliens as well! ;)

But I guess we can congratulate you as a 1.0.0 OSC survivor?
You mean there were more of them? Not that they're ugly, it's just they're so cute you want to shoot them in the face. :P
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

1.0.1 slowed them down, and I think removed some (not sure, may be just the speed nerf).
1.0.3 reduced their amount.

And now we got the SDK; someone restore the OSC (well, minus gold-laser that is)! :P
symuun
Mole Person

Post by symuun »

Well, I thought I was on 1.04, but then I actually read the website and saw the note that says I have to run the patch even if I'm downloading the mod for the first time. I feel a bit stupid right now. :lol: Okay, right, that's made me a lot more eager for the second playthough, anyway. All serious concerns removed at a single stroke. Cheers, guys! I'm off to join WorldCorp...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Good move regarding the patch. As for playing World Corp, I'll only say prepare yourself for some hilarious lines (and lotsa other good stuff too).
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote: And now we got the SDK; someone restore the OSC (well, minus gold-laser that is)! :P
One of the devs ought to have a copy, other than that, shouldn't it be a simple procedure of just extracting the original and best version from the 1.00 install file on the server and replacing the new one?
Hassat Hunter wrote: And now we got the SDK; someone restore the OSC (well, minus gold-laser that is)! :P
You can't handle the awesomeness of the gold lazer!
Seriously, I can't remember the gold laser. One thing I especially dislike about the new version(not that it is bad, it's just a bit empty) is that ShadowCode's PM about Trest being railroaded is capable of being circumvented.Because it really is a brilliant comment.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jaedar wrote:One of the devs ought to have a copy, other than that, shouldn't it be a simple procedure of just extracting the original and best version from the 1.00 install file on the server and replacing the new one?
Probably, but then it will lack any fixes made in the progress. I can only recall one BSP hole for now, but there are likely more.
It all depends on the maps where the content was cut (map2 I think?) and what has been changed since then (barring additional goodies on the butchered map ;)).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The OSC maps hates everyone.

One of the changes from its original state was the fans. Once upon a time they used to pull you towards them making the threat of them seem a lot more immediate and the fans seem a lot less boring. Problem was, the map would break itself so that there was a force pulling you in that direction throughout almost the entire map. Naturally they fixed it. It broke itself again.

Based on this and other things, I conclude that the maps hate everyone.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

chris the cynic wrote:The OSC maps hates everyone.

One of the changes from its original state was the fans. Once upon a time they used to pull you towards them making the threat of them seem a lot more immediate and the fans seem a lot less boring. Problem was, the map would break itself so that there was a force pulling you in that direction throughout almost the entire map. Naturally they fixed it. It broke itself again.

Based on this and other things, I conclude that the maps hate everyone.
Didn't they have to change them because people found them too difficult? The maps I mean, not the fans. lol.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Yes. That was the reason for most of the changes I am aware of.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

chris the cynic wrote:Yes. That was the reason for most of the changes I am aware of.
Cheers Chris, when I came to the party TNM was already patched to 1.02. I thought I read that somewhere, thanks for the confirmation.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:
chris the cynic wrote:Yes. That was the reason for most of the changes I am aware of.
Cheers Chris, when I came to the party TNM was already patched to 1.02. I thought I read that somewhere, thanks for the confirmation.
Things you missed: (not spoiler tagged because it isn't in the game any more) A fiery inferno, the hall of the hail of bullets as well as a mediocre "broken equipment" trap and probably something I have forgotten. In my opinion the two first ones were the best set pieces in the OSC, and I miss them.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum