Jonas's (Very Late) Christmas Present

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Made in China
MJ12

Jonas's (Very Late) Christmas Present

Post by Made in China »

Well, I seem to recall that all Jonas wanted for Christmas was a Wikipedia entry. So in the last couple of days I started working on the Wikipedia draft, and have redone most of it. I believe those parts are at least semi-decent and pretty much Wikipedia-ready. However, there are a few things that are missing:

1. The development history section - most of the information can be found in published material.
2. The reception section - again, most of it can be found online without any particular effort, somebody just needs to do it.
3. The music section - the TNM OST track list is already there, but it needs information about the musical genres and artists. Also, each track's length should be added.
4. Images, both of the TNM logo and the TNM OST.

So, if anyone is willing to help and finally get TNM a Wikipedia entry, it will be very welcome.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Jonas's (Very Late) Christmas Present

Post by Jaedar »

Man you've improved a lot on the original draft(which was mainly done by me iirc).

Might see about helping out with the reception section -tomorrow- I gotta go sleep now.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Nice work, MiC!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Wrote some about the reception. I'm not really happy about the result but at least there's something.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

[citation needed]
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Boltersdriveer
UNATCO

Post by Boltersdriveer »

As of August 2010, it holds a 9.7/10 score in Mod DB's user rating.
It has always been that way. :D

This can already be on the TNM Wiki! I really like his article, and the way he wrote it was so professional, yet understandable.

EDIT: The part after this
Now that Trestkon has the news script, all he needs to do is to find the admin. This proves to be no easy task, as he must go into PDX headquarters in order to reach his office. Aided by one of WC special agents, he reaches it - only to find that the office is actually a cave. Travelling through it, Trestkon is haunted by hellish imagery and deadly traps, but eventually reaches the admin. Suprisingly, the admin refuses the bribe, which infuriates Scara.
, you said he goes to DXI. However, Scara first sends Trestkon to Phasmatis' apartment in the Downtown district to kill him.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Boltersdriveer wrote:
As of August 2010, it holds a 9.7/10 score in Mod DB's user rating.
It has always been that way. :D
Actually it started out at 9.9, then dropped to 9.8, and now it's down to 9.7, but it's been that way for a while - hopefully it'll stay there.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Boltersdriveer wrote:you said he goes to DXI. However, Scara first sends Trestkon to Phasmatis' apartment in the Downtown district to kill him.
I know, but although this mission gives the player a lot of background info about Trestkon, it can also be totally absent from the game and the plot would still be intact. Besides, if it were included, I also had to mention that it was Phasmatis's choice to recruit Trestkon and that Phasmatis was the first person Trestkon met, and all of that is redundant for someone who simply wants to know TNM's plot summary.

But I do agree that it is cool, both the conversation with Scara that leads up to it and the mission itself. It's a shame I can't think of any way to include it in the article.

Edit: Also,
<ref name='Jonas's wishes'>{{cite web|url=viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2312 |title=All I want for Christmas is a Wikipedia Entry |date=2009-04-27 |work=Jonas Waever }}</ref>

Edit #2: Alright, two TNM OST questions: Was there a producer or any musical supervisor, and between which dates was the OST recorded?
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Well, the Wikipedia draft is now complete. I wanted to add the links to ModDB's developer commentary, but ModDB has been down for more than an hour, so fuck it.

Anyway, the only things left to do are to add images - mainly the cover for TNM and the OST, and to somehow use the helpful things section. That's about it.

So whenever someone fills it's ready, just submit it to Wikipedia and a happy new year!

Edit: ModDB's back online.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Excellent Article :mrgreen:
Loved it :)

What mission were you referring too when you mentioned 'an entire mission spoken with popular movie quotes'?
It's been a while since I have played TNM but the only one I can think of is the ShadowCode Mission where he is randomly (?) sends a few movie quotes..? Is that what you ment?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Okay, I'm going to be a little critical here, because I want this article to survive on Wikipedia, but I'd like to apologise in advance because I think it's really great that you guys've written all this and I'm very grateful for it. However...

First of all, I'd edit down the Plot section - it's really long and I don't think it needs that much detail. The Setting part is a good length, but the Synopsis is too long - I'd edit it down to one paragraph leading up to the faction choice, one paragraph for the entire rest of the PDX plot, and one paragraph for the entire rest of the WC plot. Perhaps leave the space station paragraph alone and separate, since that one is a bit more complicated. If you agree but don't want to do it yourself, I can try to take care of it.

Development History also seems excessively long, I would cut that down to at most two thirds of its current length.

Most importantly, the whole thing seems to be in drastic need of more references - most of it is woefully unsourced, which is definitely something the Wikipedia fanatics will pick on. Especially Reception seems like an obvious place to add a ton of references, everything you should need is at the bottom of the draft, under Helpful Things.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I don't mind the criticism. This is my first time writing a Wikipedia article, so I don't really know what I'm doing anyway.

And please, if you can help with the plot section, please do. I understand that it's long, and I tried to cut down on unnecessary details.

I edited the development history section to 2/3 of the original length. This one was a problem because I based myself on only one article which I leafed through, but I think I touched all the important subjects.

And I know there aren't many references, but it simply breaks the flow when writing something and adding them afterwards is a chore. I tried doing that when I actually used them myself, such as the post-mortem, but I couldn't be bothered otherwise.
Also, other games (like The Ship) have far less references than what TNM has now, and some of them started out as mods. So I think we're doing fine.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

The development section currently states that the project was started by Jonas. I was under the impression it was Lawrence that got the initial idea, and Jonas joined the group a while after...

Or am I wrong here?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Made in China wrote:Also, other games (like The Ship) have far less references than what TNM has now, and some of them started out as mods. So I think we're doing fine.
Yeah but sadly I think The Ship gets more of a pass because it's an actual commercial product - even if the article is shit, nobody is going to delete it because nobody questions that it should exist. Not so with an article about TNM.
Hassat Hunter wrote:I was under the impression it was Lawrence that got the initial idea, and Jonas joined the group a while after...
That is correct.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Does anyone know what the magic wiki code is to add a reference? I would like to add some but have no clue how.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!