Some aspects of the mod are really bugging me

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
sgt0pimienta
Thug

Some aspects of the mod are really bugging me

Post by sgt0pimienta »

some aspects of the mod are really molesting me and kind of ruining the story for me:

It is too eavily based on a regular internet forum structure and make too many out of topic references wich are all cool but with time start bugging me and distracting me from having a serious story,because once im getting into this amazing universe,getting submerged in the story,someone talks about teletubbies,the original Deus ex game,and a moderator bans him for religious issues.

this distracts me a lot and i want to know if it will decrease as i go through the story.
does it?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Some aspects of the mod are really bugging me

Post by that guy »

My recollection is that that mostly occurs in the hub areas but outside of that its less frequent
sgt0pimienta
Thug

Post by sgt0pimienta »

im just playing the first level...getting the 1000 credits...its ok that deus ex exists in game,BUT,the organization:
Deus
Ex
Planet

is a bit molest,there are so many quotations of deus ex and that is good...but they mixed deus ex as a game and deus ex as a reality si you can talk about the deus ex game,but also threaten the person using the avatar of Walton Simons...the person is called walton simons btw (great joke,lol'd hard,still distracting from the plot though) [spoiler issn't that big,just a small joke]

but for the look of the trailers the mod is deeper than that!
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

yeah there's a lot there even if you ignore the jokes. If the jokes irritate you though it might be a hard slog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Once you get into the story a bit more the jokes, while amusing, won't seem as prominent. It was the humorous aspect that helped me totally enjoy the whole experience.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
sgt0pimienta
Thug

Post by sgt0pimienta »

yeah,the humor s very good,i lol really hard sometimes,but if you are submerging into an awesome univere,and then a blink of reality and something rather stupid happens,while funny,it prevets you from getting in,for example...

I LOVED when i killed Scara B. King. and the...thing showed up and started saying a lot of stuff that made me lol har but it took me out of one reality to bring me to another :P
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahaha! Yeah, fair enough. The more you play the more the story drags you in. I do understand your point of view, and in the end, it's what we want from a game that keeps us coming back for more. :)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

sgt0pimienta wrote:some aspects of the mod are really molesting me
That sounds like a Mexican accent, Mr. Pepper :-)

TNM does not take itself seriously. It is epic in size and scale, but is casual or lighthearted. Some jokes can confuse and alienate, but as you continue playing it becomes submerging.
Kaiza Killa
Thug

Post by Kaiza Killa »

The things in The Nameless Mod that sgt0pimienta said are detracting from his overall experience are the exact reasons why I enjoyed this game so much. In regard to what Justanotherfan said about The Nameless Mod not taking itself seriously, this was extremely refreshing for me when I noticed this during my first run. It is getting a little tiresome when protagonists in particular, especially in mods, are taken far too seriously.

I know that these are two completely different scenarios but how JC Denton compares to Gordon Freeman (particularly Gordon's portrayal in Half-Life 2) is one example of a protagonist being portrayed in a way relatable to the player. A character on human scale who has the potential to grow and develop throughout the story. Whereas Gordon Freeman, from the very start of Half-Life 2, is treated as “wow it’s Gordon! Let’s give him all the weapons he needs because our efforts and struggles against the Combine are insignificant compared to Freeman.” On the other hand as Trestkon you bypass a keypad and take an augmentation canister before it is issued to you and Jonas calls you a “jerk” and tells you not to be so damned impatient (if my memory serves). I know this is a poor example as Gordon Freeman is “just another guy” in the first instalment of the Half-Life series, but I just simply prefer it when the protagonist has many social hurdles to overcome and doesn’t simply sweep people off their feet with their perceived eminence.

To be perfectly honest, I can actually not think of too many examples off hand where I can remember this happening so I apologise if I am downright wrong, which is likely, but Redsun 2020 (however a very beautiful game) springs readily to mind when I think of protagonists with far too great a reputation preceding them.

JC Denton being told by a patron at The Lucky Money that he is “blocking the view”, then goes on to change the world forever. Now that is more like it.

Edit: Looking at my argument in retrospect I honestly cannot say how this idea entered my head. I will still leave my post here for criticisms but does anyone else relate to this argument?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Interesting, now you've forced me to actually think. :D

Two more of my favourite games have protaginists who start off with somewhat less than glowing reputations, and by games end are heroes. Boots in Anachronox and Trent in Freelancer. I think it's a more satisfying experience beating a game with characters you care about.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Games are serious business, because games are a business. Developers can't afford to make silly fun games. Players like being strong important gods. "Videogames as escapism" is not always true, but "Loser Simulator" is not fun either.

Some games are different. PuLiRuLa, MDK, Toonstruck, Postal, and others (can you think of more? Wikipedia's list isn't funny) are fun, but made less money. Mod devs make mods for their fun, not caring if the user understands.

TNM seemed strange and alien to me, with inside-jokes, and I have been here for a while. As I played, I learned the characters, relationships, and sense of humour. Games that do not make money can take chances. A challenging sense of humour is more valuable than another "Kill Everyone 3" game.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

People like the OP are the reason we can't have nice things. You try to do something different, something that doesn't take itself too seriously, and then you have some dude complaining about "molest", or something.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:Some games are different. PuLiRuLa, MDK, Toonstruck, Postal, and others (can you think of more? Wikipedia's list isn't funny) are fun, but made less money. Mod devs make mods for their fun, not caring if the user understands.
There used to be more of them. Most of the old LucasArts games and a lot of the Sierra adventures. 3D Realms' games were awfully puerile, but they sure didn't take themselves seriously. These days there's not a lot of comedy games, though Portal 2 and anything by Double Fine come to mind, but there's plenty of regular (action, puzzle, adventure...) games that contain strong elements of humour. Team Fortress 2 for example isn't really a comedy game, but it sure as fuck doesn't take itself or anything else in the world seriously. Even The Witcher 2 had some pretty solid jokes here and there.
VectorM wrote:People like the OP are the reason we can't have nice things. You try to do something different, something that doesn't take itself too seriously, and then you have some dude complaining about "molest", or something.
Let the man express his opinion, please ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I like games where you start out insignificant and kick total ass at the end of the game. Morrowind was a great example: I was a Nord, everybody looked down at me, I sucked at combat and in the end I was the Hortator and I had done all that awesome stuff and I was famous and powerful :king:
Thing is, I like that in RPGs (and it is precisely the reason why Oblivion was such a disappointment). Not sure whether it's any fun in a shooter though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sure it is. Nameless gunman arrives in game world, nobody gives a shit. At the end of the game everybody knows, respects, and ideally fears you. It's a tried and true narrative structure, I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine in a shooter :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine