Basic Intro

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Zackery17
Mole Person

Basic Intro

Post by Zackery17 »

I just downloaded TNM, could anyone give me a basic intro to the characters, plot and setting please?

Or link one or something?

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Basic Intro

Post by nerdenstein »

S'all explained in the game. As soon as you start the game, your first mission is to meet Phasmatis, whom, if prompted, will give you a run down of various story/setting related things. You should pick it up in no time.

I should probably add that I really joined the forums after TNM was released so I was just as in the dark as you are and I picked it up just fine. I really enjoyed the story actually. The first inital sections have loads of characters that will tell you about the story and setting. But once you've done it a few times, you tend to skip those bits. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Alternatively check out the PDF manual that came with your download, should be in your start menu (or at least in the TNM folder). It has a quick intro to the major characters, factions, and most interesting weapons :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Crowe
Thug

Post by Crowe »

TNM (or, the "Nameless Mod" for short) is the story of a nano-augmented secret agent that inherits a body modification for which there is no name (hence "Nameless Mod"). The entire story revolves around this agent, named Jack McAwesome, and his violent quest for revenge while struggling with his own inner demons (symbolized by the Nameless Modification). His girlfriend, Mandy Mack, is kidnapped several times throughout the story and he initially finds that by using the Nameless Mod, he can track her whereabouts.

The game takes place on the moon. Sometimes you go to Saturn. As the game takes place in the year 3011 and earth was destroyed by a nuclear holocaust in the year 2604, TNM is novel in that it features the use of pilotable spaceships and violent space-battles between Jack and his arch nemesis, The Organization of Satanists and Hippies and Illuminati and Democrats (TOSHID). Sometimes you have to venture out onto the surface of the moon and collect food with your laser-scythe, which involves going up to rows of Space Corn and cutting them down. Violently.

The story revolves around three characters: Jack McAwesome, his girlfriend Mandy, and the villanous duct-tape wielding Sticky Flies. There are many other characters but they only serve to illuminate the tension between Jack and Sticky, the blossoming romance between Jack and Mandy, or the increasingly obsessive behavior that Sticky shows when Mandy is around.

Game Informer gave the game a 9.5 out of 10. Squaresoft decided to piggy-back on TNM's success by putting together DX:HR. With HR's deep, thought-provoking plot and quirky, well-developed characters, you can tell that they were trying to copy TNM.

I hope this helps.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

God damnit, who leaked the design document for TNM 2 ?! :o
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking