TNM 1.0.5 test help

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: TNM 1.0.5 test help

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas said: It has new inventory and quickbelt icons to match.
Oooh, nice! Thanks for changing the icon too, I dunno how many times I've had to check that I was dropping the correct pistol from my inventory.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think this is a marked improvement.
SD, HDTP-ified
SD, HDTP-ified
Despot, HDTP-ified
Despot, HDTP-ified
And here's a little bonus:
The red greasel, now high-res and red/orange instead of red/purple
The red greasel, now high-res and red/orange instead of red/purple
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Holy shit! They were scary coz of their damage potential. Now they look awesomely scary as well. I can hardly wait for the finished product. :)
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

That looks incredible! Holy Shit! I'm in love with SD! :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

For example, I've added another ladder out of the Downtown canals, so you don't have to swim so long to get out if you jump into the water in the wrong place. Of course that created some BSP issues, because the Downtown sector is straining the engine as it is, but I think I've fixed them. Emphasis on think, that's where the testing comes in
I could never figure how to get out of the water once you were in it, another ladder would be nice. BTW, where can you get out of the water?
And a way to buy rocketboots(they should stack too).
Do you mean lollerskates? (if not, forgive me) I don't see why they should stack, they are not that useful anyway, bit of fun, but often annoying. Thats like saying hazmat suits, thermoptic camo, gas masks and ballastic armour should stack too
bobby 55 wrote:Holy shit! They were scary coz of their damage potential. Now they look awesomely scary as well. I can hardly wait for the finished product. :)
One word comes to mind, Suicidal. Pretty hard to avoid dying when it comes to red greasels. Looks great though!

To be honest, I'd rather see HDTP released first then this..unless that is what is happening?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's two pier areas in the canal with those Chinese boats, the one on the right when facing the Llama temple has a ladder.

The rocket boots are indeed called Lollerskates. I have no plans to change those in 1.0.5.

Whether TNM 1.0.5 or HDTP comes out first depends on the HDTP team. We're getting so much content from them for 1.0.5 that we're going to leave it up to them whether we should wait with 1.0.5 until they're done. Assuming they don't just finish their mod before we finish our patch, that is - who's to say?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Morpheus wrote: Do you mean lollerskates? (if not, forgive me) I don't see why they should stack, they are not that useful anyway, bit of fun, but often annoying. Thats like saying hazmat suits, thermoptic camo, gas masks and ballastic armour should stack too
Because lollerskates are useful for quickly getting from one end of the map to the opposite end. Since many of the maps in TNM are a bit too big(or rather, it takes a bit to long to run through them the 10th time when you're on a sidequest) more ways to speed through them would be cool.

Especially when it is potentially lethal :)
Jonas wrote: The rocket boots are indeed called Lollerskates. I have no plans to change those in 1.0.5.
:( Why yu no like going fast?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The lollerskates would need to be changed a lot more to make them properly useful for traversing the hub maps fast, and then I fear they would make the speed aug pointless. Yeah I know DX is all about having inconveniently big one-use items that replicate the effects of all the augs, but surely we don't want to nerf the speed augmentation?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:The lollerskates would need to be changed a lot more to make them properly useful for traversing the hub maps fast, and then I fear they would make the speed aug pointless. Yeah I know DX is all about having inconveniently big one-use items that replicate the effects of all the augs, but surely we don't want to nerf the speed augmentation?
Tbh, they're fine the way they are. Being able to turn them off is the only needed change imo, and maybe not even that. I mean yeah, they are potentially lethal, but that's what makes the speed aug useful :). Not to mention that you can actually turn with speed aug, and jump higher.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Making them turnoffable is a pretty huge change. Anyway, they're a joke, and they were never meant to be used to fix the hub scale problem. I don't like halfassed solutions.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Making them turnoffable is a pretty huge change. Anyway, they're a joke, and they were never meant to be used to fix the hub scale problem. I don't like halfassed solutions.
But it's an awesome halfassed solution :)

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Morpheus wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:Holy shit! They were scary coz of their damage potential. Now they look awesomely scary as well. I can hardly wait for the finished product. :)
One word comes to mind, Suicidal. Pretty hard to avoid dying when it comes to red greasels. Looks great though!

To be honest, I'd rather see HDTP released first then this..unless that is what is happening?
Well I did mean HDTP, I can see I wasn't that clear about that...now.

Anyway, both DX and TNM HDTP-ified and NV'd will be something to behold. :)
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Whether TNM 1.0.5 or HDTP comes out first depends on the HDTP team. We're getting so much content from them for 1.0.5 that we're going to leave it up to them whether we should wait with 1.0.5 until they're done. Assuming they don't just finish their mod before we finish our patch, that is - who's to say?
Either way, just as long as HDTP gets done thats fine. I wouldn't mind too much if 1.0.5 was done before then if it was awesome.
Because lollerskates are useful for quickly getting from one end of the map to the opposite end. Since many of the maps in TNM are a bit too big(or rather, it takes a bit to long to run through them the 10th time when you're on a sidequest) more ways to speed through them would be cool.
Well more than half the time I have used lollerskates to get from one side of a map to another, I have end up dying because of them, either hitting something fast or flying of a ledge, funny though. As they are not meant for anything serious, doesn't matter, messing around in them is fine. An extra map or two to use the lollerskates in, in different ways, would be nice though, maybe an add on to training maps?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Ooooh, a small ramp aimed in the direction of the canal, for non lethal landings. :lol:
Pocketbeetle
Mole Person

Post by Pocketbeetle »

Just first posting to say that it's great you're still polishing this mod, kudos all round. =D>

My speshialiteh is spelling and grammar. I've been noticing some niggles here and there in the conversations, will start writing them down now.
Jonas wrote:The ATMs next to the Corporate district subway were the ones I used. I've tried without hacking them, just taking the money and going to the Slums and back, they didn't refill. I also checked the same accounts on the Slum ATM, and they were still empty.
Wanted to weigh in on the ATM problem.
I've experienced it too on my most recent playthrough, 100% certain did not hack any ATMs whatsoever.
Just another anecdotal +1 for the problem being related to the Slums/West Residence ATM. I left visiting this area until very late, and up to that point I don't recall noting any problems. (Had emptied all three accounts Trestkon/Winquman/Pointer earlier on in Corporate sector)

A few suggestions to start off (1.04+ patch ofc):
  • Radioactive pool in the Slums:
    Seems to be a deathtrap in more ways than one - if the player doesn't have appropriate protection they will of course die, but even if they have Environmental Aug 3/4, they still end up stuck in an inescapable pool with no way of getting out (unless there's something I don't know?).
    Can I suggest either raising the fence around that area so the player can't get in, or adding a ladder on the other side?
  • Downtown Bookstore (day 2):
    It's possible to get stuck in the area to the left of ChristheCynic, if you use a crate to jump over the counter while having no Jump aug.
    One is then left with the unenviable choice of either quickloading, or providing Chris the proper motivation to move in the form of two bullets to the head.
    Suggest moving him a little to his left so that it's possible to crawl under the counter and around him.
  • ABI Exterior main gate:
    Can I suggest making it clearer that EvilInvasion will only open it once? It can lead to some confusion on the part of the player if they miss the opportunity and don't have the Jump aug to use the nearby crates. Even just a comment in the notes to the extent of saying "you only get one chance" would help.
  • Pimp-Jojo crashes:
    I get some pretty reproducible CTDs from the alley in Downtown where Pimp-Jojo waits to hand over the DXI reward.
    Has anyone else mentioned this at all?
    Critical: appError called:
    Critical: Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:D:\prj\Clean\Galaxy\Src\UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1876]
    Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
  • Llama tunnels laser tripwires: Do fire extinguishers work on these?
    I made several attempts, but the smoke simply set the alarms off every time. If it's just me, then maybe I had non TNM extinguisher at the time *shrugs*.
  • Question: What is the point of the power box to the side of the Goat Templae entrance, which when multi-tooled sets the alarms off?
    Is it a deliberate joke at the player's expense? In what situation would a player want to set the alarm off at the cost of a multitool?
  • Making zone endings clear: I realise this one is going to get shot down simply because of the amount of work, but did you ever consider adding a particular texture to the walls (say a striped yellow horizontal bar on either side) to make the player aware that continuing forward will lead to a new area?
    Sometimes you don't want to leave an area and are simply exploring to see how much further this particular tunnel/vent goes, a reused texture or signpost would aid that. Breaking immersion slightly admittedly, but with the benefit of improving player convenience.
Anyway, I'll stop there for the moment.
bobby 55 wrote:Ooooh, a small ramp aimed in the direction of the canal, for non lethal landings. :lol:
+1 :D
But then you get the "rocket boots running out while underwater" fun unfortunately.