Sequel?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Brad Denton
Thug

Sequel?

Post by Brad Denton »

To the Moderators, I wish to tell you that your mod is an absolute masterpiece. It's hilarious, intelligent, but it's also very thought provoking and disturbing at times. To think that the avatar profiles of Planet Deus Ex and Deus Ex.org users have a life of their own, and that the world which lies underneath th text of a Deus Ex forum is more frightfully complcated and intense than the human beings behind the profiles could ever have imagined. Think of it: a thousand terobyte AI construct exists in this digitial reality of the forums, while an online forum which houses it has consirderably less space. You've really gone far on the influence from Reboot as well as Tron. When I joined the PDX side, I was heartbroken when I had to fight the hero's ex-girlfriend, and couldn't knock her out with the stun gloves (she died by Staff and PHAT rifle). I especially love your choice of quotations at the end: much more variety, and just as thought-provoking as the quotes in DX1. I am also impressed by how the music sounds just like it was composed by the composer who did DX1/Unreal 1's music. Who is your composer, and how did you pull it off?! Last of all, your inclusion of the Space Station level proves Warren Spector was not quite right in his belief that a change from a game's familiar background is a bad thing.

Since you managed to pull this all off, and created a brilliant story in your own right, are there any intentions for a sequel? The proper answer would be no, considering the effort you made into this mod. Still, I have one satirical suggestion, which I assume will either horrify you or amuse you.

The Nameless Mod 2 would be a mod for Invisible War, even though it's unmoddable. If it were, however, you could destroy all the things you hated about Invisible War's interface and gameplay... No, wait. An even better horrifying idea. It'll remain a mod for DX1, but the look of the game feels more like Invisible War. Why? Because some omnipotent force has altered Forum City to feel more like Invisible War, and the last remnants of Deus Ex 1 styled architecture and mood are being altered on day at a time. All the forum residents comment about how much it sucks that the city no longer feels like DX1. New factions would arise too, such as the Editing Critics of Warren Spector, who embrace the city's new transformation as an improvement upon what they feel is a disasterous game. and a new cult: the Cows, who have pioneered a new meditation/martial arts style, and who have engineered a new form of Melk which the Goats and Lamas never dreamed of.

I propose to call it: TNM 2: GAMESPY STRIKES BACK!
Last edited by Brad Denton on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Re: Sequel?

Post by Grammatolatry »

Yes please!
wink wonk
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Okay, maybe mentioning Invisible War was a bad idea. I feel like one of the n00bs now. Still, The Nameless Mod is so well done, it feels like it deserves a sequel.

Will not thou answer, Oh Moderator?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey Brad. Thanks for the kind words. It's a fun idea, but a TNM sequel just isn't in the cards :-)

We barely exist as a team anymore, and I believe we'd rather mess around with our own individual projects than start another huge, many-year mod.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: We barely exist as a team anymore
This needs rectifying :(
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:We barely exist as a team anymore, and I believe we'd rather mess around with our own individual projects than start another huge, many-year mod.
Barring anyone being willing to pay us all a salary :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Trestkon wrote:Barring anyone being willing to pay us all a salary :p
This, definitely.

edit----

Oh shit...I didn't check the date. Almost necropost :shock:
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

[Reply is finally made after many months]

OH MY GOD! TESTKON! MY FAVORITE DX1 INSPIRED HERO IN THE FLESH! (well, virtual flesh, but still) JONAS! THE COOL SELF-SATISFIED AUGEMENTATIONS DOCTOR! YOU REPLIED TO MY TOPIC!!!! BY LLAMAR, I FEEL BLESSED!!!!

...Well, um, anyway, back on topic, I think that the TMN sequel I had in mind would be even harder, and maybe vaster, than the original TMN. I had the idea that Trestkon would wake up in apartment in the The Narcissus Entity's cyber dimension, being interviewed by sub AI in the service of TNE. The player would commence to tell the entity of all the actions he made during the first game, and they can be answered lengthily, or in quiz form (ala the character buildup in TESIII: MORROWIND). This means you could beging the game as either the good guy, bad guy, or good guy anarchist or bad guy in charge, with the game still keeping in mind all the minor little actions you performed previously. Sounds overwhelming and too ambitious? You're right. It sounds fun to write on paper form, and to keep it on paper form.

I visualize a hybrid environment, where the look of TMN is still maintained, but with sections of INVISIBLE WAR's textures and level design slowly infesting buildings of Forum City. There'll also be an epidemic of "universal ammo," which will cause many DEUS EX 1 fans screaming down the streets in horror, or driving them to kill themselves (their accounts anyway). The only ones who'll benefit from this are the hardcore mainstream editors who hate DEUS EX 1, since they believe that the ammo system and new layout of the city suits their tastes better. To make things freakier, they fight like the multiplayer bots from UNREAL 1, and enjoy bunny hopping (so that they may feel invincible in comparison to the other profiles).

I would write more, but the message elevator is refusing to allow me to go down even further so I can see my writing.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

You also need to keep in mind that a lot of the TNM team were students or lacked full time employment for a lot of its development. The time requirement for the same people to make another mod would be more than a lot of us could spare for free.
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

that guy wrote:You also need to keep in mind that a lot of the TNM team were students or lacked full time employment for a lot of its development. The time requirement for the same people to make another mod would be more than a lot of us could spare for free.
I was keeping in mind of that, that guy.... Wait a minute. THAT GUY!? THE SYSTEMS AND INFOLINK OPERATOR OF WORLDCORPS? I just want to say that I wish that we were allowed to talk, even though I broke into the company bunker without permission when I switched sides to Planet Deus Ex. I feel bad trying to knock your hollogrpahic image unconscious, and I know that you are actually a good guy, though the Scarab King (I intentionally arranged the letters back) was your boss, and a psychotic and impractical boss too.

I didn't want the team to spend time on my idea, because I know that they have lives, and that The Nameless Mod is an accomplishment to exhausting to replicate again. I just wanted to discuss the ideas for the sake of ideas. And you're right: it would require paying the team in order to create another mod like this.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I just though you might be interested in how the lives of the team had changed. I realize you did already acknowledge the infeasibility of another project ;).

And yes, that's me. You might also be interested to know that leo, who posted previously in this thread, was the primary music contributor (I'm not sure if there was a more correct title given).
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

I was just thinking: the Cow Cult idea of mine could have aspects similar to Shaolin priests and the Cabalists from BLOOD. They can fight with their hands and feet, like the Martial Arts priests do, and yet go crazy with Tommy Guns at their opponents (since they are illegally smuggling their special brand of Whole Melk). Their dress would resemble 1960s technicolor versions of Hindu robes, and when their high priests are angered, they transform into Demonic Calves (a la The Beasts from BLOOD: PLASMA PAK). So, entering their temple would be akin to watching an Indian martials film about '60s occultists. Just a small sign as to how crazy Forum City has become since the Gamespay Mothership has orbited over the Planet (a la INDEPENDENCE DAY).
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

I got another idea for the hypothetical sequel: After Ryan's scheme is thwarted, he creates an underwater city off the coast of Planet Deus Ex where Forum City rejects are free from the jurisdiction of Planet Deus Ex, and where he concocts even crazier experiments than the ones at Aunt Betty Industries. Ryan is planning something maniacal which is a threat to PDX or WorldCorps, so you must submerge down there to stop him. The city is an Ocean Lab-esque version of Rapture City, and your meants to get there is a miles tall transparent elevator or hijacked sub. The city itself is guarded by Scuba Dudes and Evil School Girls armed with poison dart crossbows and sniper rifle (a la Big Daddies and Little Sisters), and it is entirely populated with unbelievably irrating noobs and board guests, all of which are having annual flame wars over the stupidest topics to celebrate the freedom Ryan gave them. The bosses would include Ryan as a naked augmented cyborg (like Bob Page, except Ryan gets to run around and beat you up with his fists), and a giant squid ripped off from Michael Crichton or Peter Benchley swimming around the main building.

Keep in mind, I know that none of this can actually be done. It's just fun discussing hypothetical ideas for hypothetical sequels. :)
Xfing
Thug

Post by Xfing »

I agree that TNM is amazing. And it's quite a natural thing for people to want sequels to whatever they consider amazing. I used to completely love the movie "The Fifth Element" and I always wanted there to be a sequel, even though the story was completely told in the movie itself. The knowledge that something is over and done usually gives us pain, and after I complete an amazing game, the knowledge that there will be a sequel is a reward in itself. I'm a very plot-oriented gamer, I love compelling stories, lore and stuff like that. I'm also slowly working on a post-cyberpunk novel, but sadly I'm not a very motivated nor systematic person :(

However, there are games which are fantastic plot-wise and very expansive and interactive, such as for example Arcanum or The Nameless Mod, and while one would definitely like sequels, both of these products have very satisfying denouement epilogues. Actually, all we need in terms of gameplay has already been given to us in this mod. If we want a continuation of the story, the way to go is probably writing it in the form of a penned story!