Where are the TMN Spin-Offs!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Brad Denton
Thug

Where are the TMN Spin-Offs!

Post by Brad Denton »

I remember when Warren Spector was interviewed by PC Gamer back when DX2 was still in development, he said that he wished that there were a lot of games that tried to be like DX since no developer had attempted to replicate the DX formula since its release. Well, ever since TMN has been released, where are the other mods which want to be like TMN? Not exactly like it, gameplay and story wise, but concept-wise. Modders could amplify what they love of their favorite game while making the most of their forum community history as inspiration! It may not quite work, but here are some games I wish had epic TCs which are in the veing of TMN:

Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Half-Life 1
Sacrifice (Shiny Entertainment's RTS)
Unreal Gold
Quake
Doom
Blood

To name but a very few. Could you imagine the world of Planet Half-Life recreated as an HL1 science facility, and undergoing its own Resonance Cascade? Or the editing community for Jedi Knight recreated as an Internet-gaming oriented version of the SW galaxy, with Moderators serving as the forum's equivalent of Jedi Knights? I know that the Foum-based world worked primarily well for the atmosphere and interface of DX, but could the TMN forumla work to serve other games as well?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Where are the TMN Spin-Offs!

Post by Jonas »

*TNM

I think the problem is that most people didn't particularly like the concept of The Nameless Mod, a lot of people sort of played the mod despite the setting. It was more the insane scope of the project and the promise of more Deus Ex gameplay that attracted players :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Alginon
Mole Person

Post by Alginon »

I think this is what you're looking for for Doom. It's more of a joke than TNM but it's about the Doomworld Forums. You'll need ZDoom to play it. There are also several sequels.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11873
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Brad Denton wrote:Or the editing community for Jedi Knight recreated as an Internet-gaming oriented version of the SW galaxy, with Moderators serving as the forum's equivalent of Jedi Knights?
Didn't expect to read this sentence on this forum, quite frankly! :-k
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

FastGamerr wrote:
Brad Denton wrote:Or the editing community for Jedi Knight recreated as an Internet-gaming oriented version of the SW galaxy, with Moderators serving as the forum's equivalent of Jedi Knights?
Didn't expect to read this sentence on this forum, quite frankly! :-k
Did I structure the sentence all right ? Because I am rather awkward when it comes to sentence structure. Or is it the content of the sentence which is so unexpected for the TMN Forum City?

It's true, it is pretty random. The reason this came to my head was because the forums of Massassi Temple, the JK editing site, were discussing TMN at one point, and some thought it might be cool to do a TMN spin-off. Massassi Temple proved that it was capable of creating freeroaming levels with RPG elements in the Life of a Merchant levels, but that's it. I think the TRANSFUSION forums considered that idea, too. So far, no spin-offs of TMN for other games. It's probably just as well, since it was more befitting of DX1.

Yet, since Jonas said that it was the promise of more and better DX1 gameplay in TMN, spin-offs should promise the same for their respective games, right? A spin-off for HL would promise more classic HL1 gameplay, and... well, you get the idea. I nay want to explore the possibilties for such mods on my own, and see if they might be fun.