Thinking about shipping our 2013 Fiat 500e to the UK - am I nuts?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
AmosLewis
Thug

Thinking about shipping our 2013 Fiat 500e to the UK - am I nuts?

Post by AmosLewis »

I enjoy driving our little Fiat 500e over in California and feel one of these would make a perfect runabout when we are over in the UK. Most of the non EV parts are standard Fiat 500 so in theory it shouldn't be too expensive to maintain standard wear items, tyres, brakes, wipers etc. Some inexpensive reliable Fiat 500e 2013 models here in California can be found for less than $5000. Looking at the cost to ship from the US to the UK should be less than $1000 according to : How Much Does Shipping a Car Overseas Cost? - CostHelper

Once this pandemic has declined, I'm sorely tempted to buy another 500e then pack up our current 500e for the UK but not sure about the current UK car inspection requirements. Looking at the VAT impact it should be zero as it has been owned by us outside the EU (if that even matters anymore) for almost two years. Essentially everything except the drive train and some of the trim is standard Fiat 500 especially safety elements so I would think there would be no additional inspection items required?

Here's an example of a 2016 500e for $5991 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Any thoughts - or am I totally crazy?
Marksman
Thug

Re: Thinking about shipping our 2013 Fiat 500e to the UK - am I nuts?

Post by Marksman »

Shipping your 2013 Fiat 500e to the UK sounds like a cool idea, not crazy at all! As for the cost of shipping, it seems pretty reasonable, especially when you consider the potential savings on buying a new one in the UK. And that 2016 model you found for $5991 looks like a great deal! Ship Vehicles that specialize in overseas shipments could be a lifesaver in this process. They can guide you through the logistics and make sure everything goes smoothly. Just make sure to choose a reputable one! In the end, if it brings you joy and fits your plans, why not go for it?