Content Side of 1.0.5

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Content Side of 1.0.5

Post by ZeroPresence »

Hey everyone,

I've made some mention here and there in various parts of the community about my desire to move forward with some content for that 1.0.5 patch. I recently returned to the community, noticed that TNM is still strong in the hearts and minds of many so figured I might want to send some files out. So for anyone that still visits the forums, consider this my declaration of intent to work towards a level design update to be pushed out eventually. Some things to keep in mind before we get into my ideas are as follows: I'm a lot older, with more responsibilities and personal obligations so don't expect something in a very timely manner. I have made strides in certain maps, while others I've attempted many times and have ran into a creativity block. But like I said, I'm here, I have my tools, and I'm getting things done.

So far I've begun work in chronological order. I'm starting with Downtown, and have taken every single bit of feedback into consideration while working on a complete rework of it. No one is perfect, and I know I made a lot of mistakes with that map back then. I'm going to ensure a 1:1 remake of the balance and item placement, but the play area is going to be both shrunk AND have detail increased. No longer will it be a running simulator through a bland landscape of tick-tack-toe.

This is the largest undertaking thus far. I'm going to try to keep complete remakes down to a minimum, and just enhance and fix geometry in other cases. A prime example of this will be the Llama Temple and specifically the tunnel system. That map is a prime example of "oh my god we just need this done ASAP." types of frustration and it suffered incredibly for it. For now I'll keep on working in order of the story so once Downtown is 100% reworked I'll move on. Another note is I still practice a bit of artist integrity regarding maps, unless there is something extremely debilitating and ruining gameplay on a map someone else made I don't really plan on touching it out of respect for the previous team member's work.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Content Side of 1.0.5

Post by Jonas »

Sounds cool, man. Looking forward to seeing what you've got in you these days :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jonas wrote:Sounds cool, man. Looking forward to seeing what you've got in you these days :)
Is Discord PM still the best way to reach you? I have a whole new map remade, but since its this close to completion I don't want to spoil it for the community.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sure, Discord PM should work.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

lol

I think in this situation Jonas is just going to be sort of a guide. Think of him as my Alex Jacobson while I'm in the field.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

FUN FACT TIME:

In the old Downtown map, it takes exactly 1:05 to walk from the Llama Temple to Sol's Bar & Grille Entrance, including going down the stairs and touching the door while yelling "base!"

In the new Downtown map, it takes you a grand total of 0:14, FOURTEEN SECONDS, to do the same.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cue cries of "typical mainstream dumbing down / handholding / care-bear game design".
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Make TNM dumb again!

Nah, sounds great... though I'm really wondering how you managed to do that and not just put like half the shops inside Phasmatis appartment.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Make TNM dumb again!

Nah, sounds great... though I'm really wondering how you managed to do that and not just put like half the shops inside Phasmatis appartment.
Easy... return to the original concept of downtown by removing the roadway, and making it more like a "large plaza" area, sort of like historic town centers. Really small roads (converted to bike paths in this case) and eliminating extremely wide open areas that were far too big originally.
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

ZeroPresence wrote:Easy... return to the original concept of downtown by removing the roadway, and making it more like a "large plaza" area, sort of like historic town centers. Really small roads (converted to bike paths in this case) and eliminating extremely wide open areas that were far too big originally.
Don't forget that when you do this, the female Forumite looking across the river in Downtown, will either have to be deleted, or have her history of the plan layout of Downtown deleted, both in voice and in text.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The wheels are in motion once again.

Coolio.
Jonas wrote:Cue cries of "typical mainstream dumbing down / handholding / care-bear game design".
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum