All this time I never realized that Jonas was said with a y

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Re: All this time I never realized that Jonas was said with a y

Post by Fulgrymm »

Who doesn't eat Danes for breakfast? Seriously though, I think Viking meat in general would be rather tough and stringy, given their lifestyle of raiding and conquering.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

And you gotta remember they always come with a side order of blood feud. It gets pretty messy.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

r00tb33r wrote:I eat danish for breakfast. :twisted:
Jonas wrote:You eat... the language... for breakfast?

How is that even possible? Is that some clever euphemism for being really bad at a language?

Or perhaps you mean either danishes or Danes.
If I was eating a "Danish" (language) then it would be capitalized. If I am eating a berry cheesecake thing then its a danish. Or danishes in plural form.
And no I don't eat Danes. Koreans eat dogs... Americans only eat hotdogs.
I won't even pretend that I speak any Danish however... 3 languages are enough for me... For now anyway.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:I eat danish for breakfast. :twisted:
Jonas wrote:You eat... the language... for breakfast?
If I am eating a berry cheesecake thing then its a danish. Or danishes in plural form.
QFT, emphasized for extra hilarity.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

From Jonas being pronounced Yonas to talk of Breakfast food, Koreans eating dogs, and cannibalism... I can see why it is called Off Topic Productions. A bit hard to follow sometimes, is TNM going to be this erratic? If so that means a harder to follow plot than MGS2 the first time around...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Kee715 wrote:From Jonas being pronounced Yonas to talk of Breakfast food, Koreans eating dogs, and cannibalism... I can see why it is called Off Topic Productions.
Don't you love it?

On that subject I highly recommend the TV show Connections. I've only seen two episodes so far, but anything that can follow the flow of history from finding a rock in 700 BC to the use of the first nuclear bomb in less than 50 minutes (and do it right) has my endorsement.

Tangents are what has made the world what it is today.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

What is a Tangent? And it is cool that you can go off topic and not have the thread closed... Also what channel does Connections come on?I do not recall hearing of it, but then again I do not watch too much TV because it is mostly reruns...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Kee715 wrote:What is a Tangent?
A tangent is a line that touches the curve at a point and is in the same direction as the curve at the point it touches.

In conversation a tangent is when the conversation gets derailed by following up on a minor point instead of staying on topic. (It's like the conversation is the geometric curve, and the tangent line is the path we follow off topic.)

In general a tangent is a way off course, it is connected to the original thing (curve, conversation, trend, whatever) but diverges from it and goes its own way. We are on a tangent now.
And it is cool that you can go off topic and not have the thread closed...
Yes indeed.
Also what channel does Connections come on?I do not recall hearing of it, but then again I do not watch too much TV because it is mostly reruns...
Unfortunately it doesn't. The show was first aired seven years before I was born, which is probably why you have not heard of it. I only learned of it because for some reason my father felt like reminiscing about it to my mother in my presence.

Anyway, it is available to purchase on DVD but costs a lot. It is available on netflix, it may be available at a rental place.

Actually, it appears that none of that is necessary, turns out the guy who did Connections has a website, which has they first two episodes of Connections (I highly recommend episode 2) here. Those are hosted on Youtube, which seems to have the entire series.

-

If you want a recommendation for a current series, I would recommend two completely unrelated fiction series. Leverage on TNT and Battlestar Galatica on the Sci Fi Channel. Leverage is part way through its first season, Battlestar Galatica is coming to the end of a 4 year run.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

chris the cynic wrote:Battlestar Galatica is coming to the end of a 4 year run.
Thankfully for all us BSG fans, it looks like they're turning Star Trek into a BSG knock-off :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:they're turning Star Trek into a BSG knock-off :)
"Hey, didn't Kirk used to be a guy?"

...please tell me it's not like this.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No it's more in terms of general tone and aesthetic. And pace. And camera work.

But I'm judging all of that from like a 30 minute TV spot:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/01/31/sta ... more-19250

So I may be wrong.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I think it was the book Finding Serenity (a collection of essays) that had a story about Star Trek meeting Firefly. (Battlestar Galatica's aesthetic and camerawork was based on Firefly, they even went so far as specifically choosing their effects company because it was the one that worked on Firefly.)

Part of the point was that Star Trek lives in a world lacking in dirt and morally ambiguous situations. That is what makes Star Trek what it is, it is Gene Roddenberry's dream world where people have evolved past much of what is considered human nature today and as such they can step in and solve the problems of at least one planet in a mere 45 minutes without having to compromise their morals at all. Technology will solve all problems as well. Well, almost all problems.

It has been moving away from that ever since it started, but Star Trek’s charm has always been its simplicity. It was clean, not just in terms of the total lack of dirt, grime, and rust (the only grease in Star Trek was in the hair of the original series cast) but also in terms of story. Star Trek is black and white. The sets are immaculate. The camera work is steady and smooth. They use dolly shots instead of zoom. The camera doesn't shake.

If you take that away then it isn't Star Trek. You might as well make an original movie and leave Star Trek to those who like making Star Trek like things. Of course, by using the name Star Trek you're sure to have a financial success.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's funny, that's almost exactly what I said to a friend upon seeing that trailer yesterday.

Because it is the truth.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I noticed the pronunciation, but what caught my eye more was what appeared to be a very large mecha greasel.
Also some of that gameplay footage sucked. ;) The part in the church looked like a demonstration of sitting animation bugs and AI quirks, and there was one bit where the player runs after some dude shooting at him without aiming for like 30 seconds, the whole time being shot by a bot. I mean, c'mon! This is Deus Ex, not doom! :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah, I mean no offense to Larry but that was a pretty shoddy demonstration of the mod.

Our launch trailer will rectify this. It was shot by me, and I am full of awesome.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine