Standalone

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
xdiesp
Mole Person

Standalone

Post by xdiesp »

You guys should contact the developers and ask permission to release the mod as a standalone version of Deus Ex.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Standalone

Post by that guy »

knowing eidos I think we can safely say that will never happen.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Seconded.

Also Eidos have staunchly ignored us in the past.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Check the right lower corner.

EDIT: oh sorry, misunderstood the post ;)
Last edited by Trasher on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas and that guy are quite correct. It WOULD be awesome if we were able to do that, but sadly, it is not to be.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

considering how good this project and HDTP and the amount of time and effort they have put for them, you would think Eidos would want to recognise them. But evidently not. Eidos unlike other companies doesnt recognise mods to their own game. Their good like that
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Not entirely true, they have in fact planned the Deus Ex 3 hype so that it peaks JUST before TNM is released. In fact, I doubt DX3 is even real, it's probably a marketing stunt by Eidos for TNM.

Also, remember how that DX machinima was killed by Eidos? What crazy people do they have there?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Eidos are awesome.

But well, look at their line-up. Can you find a single game in there with a proper thriving modding community apart from DX and Thief? It's a miracle they even allowed Ion Storm to release an SDK for DX in the first place.

As I like to say, if we'd been modding Half-Life for 7 years, half of us would be working for Valve by now. I guess it's good for the progress of the mod that Eidos is largely apathetic towards their fans ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Jonas wrote:Eidos are awesome.

But well, look at their line-up. Can you find a single game in there with a proper thriving modding community apart from DX and Thief? It's a miracle they even allowed Ion Storm to release an SDK for DX in the first place.

As I like to say, if we'd been modding Half-Life for 7 years, half of us would be working for Valve by now. I guess it's good for the progress of the mod that Eidos is largely apathetic towards their fans ;)

Also It would probably have ended up like garry's mod, and we will all need to pay $10 to get it
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:
Jonas wrote:Eidos are awesome.

Also It would probably have ended up like garry's mod, and we will all need to pay $10 to get it
And we'd be richer than astronauts!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
xdiesp
Mole Person

Post by xdiesp »

Well, when the inevitable Kotaku article chimes in on the last WW2 japanese fighters of modding, pay attention that Deus Ex has enough seeders. :lol:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

"the last WW2 japanese fighters of modding"? Your metaphor confuses me :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Is it a reference to the fact that several japanese soldiers turned up (on assorted pacific islands) many years after the end of WW2, unaware that hostilities had long since ceased?

Dedication, that's what you need...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh, but of course! Hahah nice. Esoteric! But nice.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I agree, it'd be nice to have TNM bundled with Deus Ex. It would be good PR and marketing for Eidos, and it would make TNM more convenient to the average gamer. However, I think that it's far better to be ignored by Eidos. Being ignored implies a tacit acceptance of TNM. In many countries modding exists in a legal gray area. Modding usually is not illegal, but it's uncertain enough that there wouldn't be an easy summary judgment, so defending fair use rights would be costly. I'm not sure what TNM would do if a few members were given cease and desist letters in their respective countries at this point ;-). Official correspondence means that not only do the developers know about the mod, but marketing and legal would have to get involved officially. Perhaps they'd only want people playing one new Deus Ex game. The best situation would be where Eidos officially contacts TNM and offers a free Deus Ex copy for every TNM download with maybe some sort of DX3 marketing tie-in, but then they'd have to be cool and intelligent, and in the past they've been far too awesome for that.

I think that it's better to be ignored by Eidos entirely, and to install TNM with separate copies of Deus Ex. It isn't that much extra work for the end user.