TNM in the media

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Suislide
Mole Person

Re: TNM in the media

Post by Suislide »

EER wrote:It seems fairly certain that the reviewer is not a native speaker. Apparently, native speakers hardly ever use the word 'fuck' as it is very offensive in English. Over here though, it's just a word.

Lol what? Yes I am. And who told you that? Because it isn't true at all
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Suislide wrote:Lol what? Yes I am. And who told you that? Because it isn't true at all
Blame it on the boogie.
Chris the Cynic wrote:It depends on where you are at least as much as whether or not you are a native speaker.
I agree, in fact it may be even more important because language is picked up through your environment.
Chris the cynic wrote:Fuck isn't trivial. It isn't trivial because it is profanity.
As bananaSkill mentions, it is not profane over here. It's an adjective used to indicate that the speaker is in touch with popular culture. Also, it is English, so it has a certain worldly flair which reflects positively on the speaker (or so the speaker often thinks).
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

EER wrote:
Chris the cynic wrote:Fuck isn't trivial. It isn't trivial because it is profanity.
As bananaSkill mentions, it is not profane over here.
Indeed. I really didn't need to be told that three times since I caught on the first time.

My point was that while your people may become offended just because someone has encouraged syphilis to cross the blood brain barrier while cancer and Ebola are competing to kill you first*, or some other adorably quaint thing like that, that does not make someone else's profanity trivial. This is because because what makes profanity significant has nothing to do with the words themselves. Certainly nothing to do with what the word means. Using diseases might work for you, but if some other group used a word meaning kumquat it would be no more trivial.

What makes any profanity non-trivial is that it is profane to some (non-negligible) group.

*Is that the sort of thing you mean when you say that diseases are used as profanity? How does it work for interjections?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

chris the cynic wrote:What makes any profanity non-trivial is that it is profane to some (non-negligible) group.
I'll agree with you on that.
chris the cynic wrote:*Is that the sort of thing you mean when you say that diseases are used as profanity? How does it work for interjections?
Hahaha, no not really. If you would say the dutch equivalent of that you'd probably get some laughs (depending of the company you're in as always).

Diseases in profanity are usually used as nouns, although some people use them as a verb and interject it everywere, example:
"That cancering bitch is cancering crazy, cancer!" (this is widely considered VERY offensive and is not used in everyday conversations)

Also interesting about Dutch is that you are allowed to combine any two nouns to form a valid new word. This way it is valid to come up with new profanity by combining two existing profanities to adress someone, for example:
"typhus whore" (I heard this in a cinema last weekend when somebody just wouldn't shut up)
"cholera sufferer" (you can use this with almost any disease, notably referees during football matches will be called things like this)

Writing this, it seems so much more offensive in English than it is in Dutch :oops:
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
bananaSkill
Thug

Post by bananaSkill »

god cancer
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The good old Danish curse "kræftædemig" (also spelled krafted'me and a lot of other ways because it has no business being written down in the first place) literally means "cancer eat me". It's a fairly hefty curse, but not a lot of people would be offended by it anymore - probably because it's not really aimed at anybody - though it's generally used in a context similar to "Will you cancer-eat-me shut your face already!" in which case if nothing else it comes across pretty aggressive.

I like to distinguish between directional and general curses. General will be stuff like "FUCK!" or "GOD DAMMIT" and directional would be stuff like "you CUNT" or "Cocksucker!" General curses are quite fine on this board because they're not used against somebody, they're used to emphasize a point - at your own risk of what it might do to other people's opinion of you. Directional curses (aka. name-calling) is not allowed here and will be censored hilariously or angrily.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Jonas wrote:.... Directional curses (aka. name-calling) is not allowed here and will be censored hilariously or angrily.
Name! NAME!!! Where are you Name? ...has anyone seen Name ?!?

...couldn't resist :lol:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You suck.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Jonas wrote:You suck.
oh.. I was hoping for 'hilariously".
:cry:
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Guess EER is a dutchie too. Aside from "fuck" being english (and thus rarily used) I think the main difference is that, while fuck is both for dammit kind of stuff and cursing, we use seperate words for that. A seperate set of words for dammit and a seperate set to insult people. Hence less used than 1 word for both.

Long live diversity :-^.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bananaSkill
Thug

Post by bananaSkill »

Sens it does not make...

It's probably the due to amount of blood in my alcohol stream...
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

Hello everyone,
I picked up the latest issue of PC PowerPlay (for Australia :) ) and to my absolute surprise I found the the Nameless Mod is a front cover feature!!!!
Just scanned it in now for the viewing pleasure of anyone who wants to.

Front:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee81 ... eless1.jpg

Intro:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee81 ... eless2.jpg

Pg1:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee81 ... eless3.jpg

Pg2:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee81 ... eless4.jpg

Enjoy!

(And sorry about the poor quality scans, silly scanner's not bending to my will!)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

WHOA, and HOLY CRAP!

Thanks for the link! I thought they were just going to do a webpage feature :o This article is absolutely fantastic and makes me insanely happy.

Also, ROFL @ "The Passion of Jonas"! It is of course the complete truth, but now the entire universe shall be absorbed by his ego :(
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

Well they are absolutely mad fans of the original (they convinced me to buy it).
Grub
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Grub »

Wow!