First Impressions

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Duke Floss
UNATCO

First Impressions

Post by Duke Floss »

I will give a full review once I have finished my first full play through. However my first impressions are:

- Excellent Level Design that feels much more open than DX
- Voice Acting is very good and feels natural most of the time, sometimes you can pick out different mic setups that were used (I find this is more consistent with the setting of a forum city).
- Soundtrack fits well with the game
- Graphics and texture work are very good for DX (I am still using ENBseries - I will post screens when I am back on my PC).
- Quests so far have been enjoyable
- Love the absurdity behind it all (favorite moment so far - taking the zyme equivalent and getting my Deviant Behavior noted by a guard)
- Love the print buttons, tetris, and all the little objects and such around (Radiohead CDs and such).
- The voice actor for Trestkon kind of reminds me of the voice for the Postal Dude in Postal 2

Overall it has been excellent and consistent with DX as a game engine so far.

Looking forward to playing through it more than once!!!

Cheers & Congrats,
Floss
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
Exoskeletor
NSF

Re: First Impressions

Post by Exoskeletor »

Nice, i will post mine tommorow
Thanx again guys for all your effort. now let's see how hard this baby is against exoskeletor
Live And Let Die
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Duke Floss wrote:
- Excellent Level Design that feels much more open than DX
- Voice Acting is very good and feels natural most of the time, sometimes you can pick out different mic setups that were used (I find this is more consistent with the setting of a forum city).
- Soundtrack fits well with the game
- Graphics and texture work are very good for DX (I am still using ENBseries - I will post screens when I am back on my PC).
- Quests so far have been enjoyable
- Love the absurdity behind it all (favorite moment so far - taking the zyme equivalent and getting my Deviant Behavior noted by a guard)
- Love the print buttons, tetris, and all the little objects and such around (Radiohead CDs and such).
- The voice actor for Trestkon kind of reminds me of the voice for the Postal Dude in Postal 2

Overall it has been excellent and consistent with DX as a game engine so far.

Looking forward to playing through it more than once!!!
All that AND a double-Bacon Cheeseburger!! :D

So far the best mod I have EVER played.
Ishindri
NSF

Post by Ishindri »

First impressions? Well, the level design reminds me of Morrowind, as does the open gameplay. It's like Morrowind, but in Deus Ex. This is a Very Good Thing™.
Also: FUCK THE HOVERBOTS

Ahem. That is all. For now.
All is well. We are not like the others.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

You can find a copy of Morrowind in TNM somewhere (I found it)
Ishindri
NSF

Post by Ishindri »

Yeah, I believe it's in Andreus' office.
All is well. We are not like the others.
Thor
Mole Person

Post by Thor »

I keep getting some bizarre TNMNative error every time I try to run the mod. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz, 9600M GT 256MB, 2GB RAM. Deus Ex runs fine, as do other mods. Just not TNM. :cry:
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Thor wrote:I keep getting some bizarre TNMNative error every time I try to run the mod. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz, 9600M GT 256MB, 2GB RAM. Deus Ex runs fine, as do other mods. Just not TNM. :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1688
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Cermo
Thug

Post by Cermo »

Duke Floss wrote: - The voice actor for Trestkon kind of reminds me of the voice for the Postal Dude in Postal 2
I noticed this. I'm hoping the development team noticed it too, and that at some point in the game Trestkon will exclaim "buttsauce!"

Also loving this game so far. Great level design, great humour - some of the NPC conversations are hilarious, just great everything.

Thank you!
Thor
Mole Person

Post by Thor »

Trestkon wrote:
Thor wrote:I keep getting some bizarre TNMNative error every time I try to run the mod. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz, 9600M GT 256MB, 2GB RAM. Deus Ex runs fine, as do other mods. Just not TNM. :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1688
It worked! Thanks! The mod looks fantastic!!!
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Ishindri wrote:First impressions? Well, the level design reminds me of Morrowind, as does the open gameplay. It's like Morrowind, but in Deus Ex. This is a Very Good Thing™.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I have encountered my first few bugs and glitches though :)

And TNM is a bit dark...
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

First impressions after playing the training level and the first map - it's absolutely brilliant, as expected. To loosely quote some random review of DX, replacing 'DX' with 'TNM' - 'TNM is a game that not only lives up to the hype, it often exceeds it'. Here's some stuff that I particularly liked:

- the title screen; very Hotel Carone-esque, plus bloody nice music. Also the kneeling doctors, and the woman with her hand rested on the handrail of the balcony.
- the voice acting, especially Phasmatis. So far I haven't heard Trestkon speak much, but it's evident that Jeremiah is an accomplished actor.
- the sound of Trestkon jumping is funny
- the humourous text on the chemical bottles
- the new models, e.g. laptop, buckets, guns, brooms (plus the frobbing text), CDs etc
- on the PDX newspaper, the little article about TNM's release
- vending machines
- EVERYTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTERS - how the hell do you code stuff like tetris anyway?
- the stereo with DX music in Phasmatis' apartment
- the OTP symbol instead of the Windows symbol on the keyboards
- rain
- easter eggs

I guess I should also post some negative criticism as well:
- the training mission's level design got a little repetitive; almost all the rooms were the same in terms of geometry
- I was surprised that although the apartment map seems very small, it lacks in detail somewhat, e.g. what is the purpose of the 2nd and 3rd floors?
- a few minor glitches I'll post on the bugs forum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AgentSmithereens wrote:I was surprised that although the apartment map seems very small, it lacks in detail somewhat, e.g. what is the purpose of the 2nd and 3rd floors?
Visit them before talking to Phasmatis and you'll see ;)

Mostly they're there to make it seem like a proper apartment building rather than just one apartment.

WTB more posts like this :D
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Well I have been playing some more and it is still the best mod I have ever played, excellent job TNM team!
gamer0004 wrote:TNM is a bit dark...
Excellent observation! Shall we call you Sherlock Gamer0004? [/sarcasm] XD

Well TNM takes place entirely at night and it is constantly raining, so my guess is that it is supposed to be dark.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dark yes, but not unplayably so.

Unless you're crawling around in the vent shafts, but then you really should bring enough BE cells for your flashlight.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine