High Brow TNM Reviews

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
User avatar
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions
Posts: 14222
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Hafnia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Jonas »

Magnas wrote:Meh, you're always bound to get those kind of reviews. Unintelligent, yes. But worth getting up in arms about? Nah.
Which is why we're making fun of them here instead :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

You can buy my games on Steam if you like 'em.
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati
Posts: 3441
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:57 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I've finished Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny, they're great games when you don't get stuck :D Fighting Hitler at the end of the first game is one battle that I urge everyone to play, because its stupidly hard.

its hell fun when you don't get stuck. the problem with the game is the level design is horrendously bad because they rely on "Hidden" doors a lot and unpassable walls. It results in getting stuck a LOT.
User avatar
MrBlack
NSF
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:02 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by MrBlack »

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is also a worthy sequel and a very good game.

Very hard boss battles (except the final boss IMO) and the multiplayer (mostly Enemy Territory) was excellent
"It's all good!"
kyrieee
Thug
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 am

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by kyrieee »

Final boss not hard? Are you nuts?
He took me forever =/
User avatar
teknikal
UNATCO
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:46 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by teknikal »

Goddamn it... what idiots.
I pity these people. They will never know what it's like to have a brain capacity large enough that makes them more than just superficial gaming graphics bimbos.

It really doesn't set up much hope for the gaming industry to develop further... its like the horrible 'we're-not-going-to-learn-anything-from-Deus-Ex' cycle all over again, and we're left with the "revolutionary" Halo series *sigh*.
I hope DX3 tries to push games further though.

As for MY one-line review of TNM from the DXfanclub on dev art: *ahem*....
"Easily the best game I've played this year! Take that Resident Evil 5! Yeah, you heard me Capcom! Don't act like you didn't!!!"

And these are my words, even though I love Resident Evil games to death. LOL
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Majestic
Thug
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Melbourne, AUS

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Majestic »

Umm next gen to me is if it has anti-aliasing and supports widescreen, other than that. Every game I play feels like a new release!

This is easily the best game to come out this year, just like deus ex was the best game in it's year, system shock 2 in it's year and finally vamp bloodlines in it's year :D

I think I'm biased to FPS RPG's reading over that, mainly if there's a smidgen of cyberpunk!!!!!
User avatar
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions
Posts: 14222
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Hafnia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Jonas »

Majestic wrote:I think I'm biased to FPS RPG's reading over that, mainly if there's a smidgen of cyberpunk!!!!!
Just shows you have good taste tbh ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

You can buy my games on Steam if you like 'em.
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dr.Ghosts
Mole Person
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Dr.Ghosts »

This thread is pretty terrible, imo. Bunch of nerds feeling superior about... what? Grammar? Punctuation? Gamers today can't appreciate their high-art video games? Kids enjoy the video game, "Halo", that you don't enjoy? Holy shit, people dislike this game you made?

You fucking hypocrites.

If you're claiming people are judging this mod based on the cover and not the contents, it's pretty goddamn hypocritical to then judge them based on the review they make.

No, these people certainly aren't to blame for the degradation of gaming, if there is one. Blaming Halo for the lack of good games is certainly bullshit, regardless of whether or not it's a bad game.

It is also perfectly reasonable to dislike a game or a mod based on the theme or basis for the game, regardless of how well it's pulled off. That's not judging a book by it's cover, that's judging a book by what the book is about, something most people would agree is perfectly goddamn reasonable!

You pretentious fucks.

-dr.ghosts, double phd (Doctorates in dunking and double dunking)

P.S. I realize it may seem hypocritical to judge you all for judging someone else. Therefore, if you don't actually feel superior to the people who write these reviews that you all seem to despise or to make fun of, this isn't directed at you.

P.P.S.S. In b4 "You wrote one of those reviews, didn't you?"

P.P.P.S.S.S. "Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden" GOTY Every Year
Use the prod. Prod with the prod! Don't worry, we're police! -J.C.'s Brother, Paul Detnon
User avatar
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:55 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Phasmatis »

Harsh... but fair.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
User avatar
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions
Posts: 14222
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Hafnia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Jonas »

Phasmatis wrote:Harsh... but fair.
:lol:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

You can buy my games on Steam if you like 'em.
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by chris the cynic »

Dr.Ghosts wrote:P.S. I realize it may seem hypocritical to judge you all for judging someone else. Therefore, if you don't actually feel superior to the people who write these reviews that you all seem to despise or to make fun of, this isn't directed at you.
So it is directed at who exactly, Mr. Hypothetical Straw Man?

You're my favorite hypocrite today. Bonus points for admitting that you are the exact same type of pretentious fuck you claim to be railing against. That combines nicely with the points and a half you get for admitting you are a fucking hypocrite while at the same time decrying "fucking hypocrites."

Also, nice use of the world fuck. Gold star for that. I like it, it adds a certain spice.
It is also perfectly reasonable to dislike a game or a mod based on the theme or basis for the game, regardless of how well it's pulled off. That's not judging a book by it's cover, that's judging a book by what the book is about, something most people would agree is perfectly goddamn reasonable!
Actually, no it isn't. It is, at best, judging a book by its setting. Some books are about their settings, but others are not. In fact, most books are not about their settings. Even the vast majority of books with non-passive settings are not about the setting.

And, for the record, the cover is the part of the book with the description of what the book is about on it. Most covers have a Title, an Author, a publishing company, a description of what the book is about, a selection of "blurbs" about the book, and a picture. Premise, basis, theme, these are all on the cover. What the book is about is on the cover.

I, personally, would never judge a book by what it is about. If I did that I'd judge the Iliad and Odyssey as being equal to The Firebrand, but the fact is that ancient epic poetry and modern American feminist novels should be judged differently, even when they happen to be about the same thing.

If you judged a book by what it was about you would judge a great book as the same as its intimations which would, quite naturally, be about the same thing.

I would recommend anyone who judges books based on what they are about seek immediate psychiatric help because they are clearly being irrational. If they are only irrational when it comes to judging books they should seek help to make sure their irrationality does not spread. If they are already as irrational in other areas the reason they should seek help should be obvious.

[Added:]
I suppose I should add that I don't think anything Dr.Ghosts said was unfair.

It's just, judging a book by what its about ... what the fuck? What is this world coming to?
Dr.Ghosts
Mole Person
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Dr.Ghosts »

metche_steele wrote:
Luongo001 (GameTrailers.com) - "7 years in the making.............
and it still looks like shit.......... haha
but that isn't due to the people who made it, that engine is just too old. it looks worse than counterstrike."
Oh for fucks sake - HELLO?! Are all you trigger happy gamers out there that shallow that you'll take a game over it's graphics rather than its superb intelligent game-play?

Damn your eyes to hell man. HELL.

Pristine examples of gaming like the TNM mod are WASTED on these people.
Overyou wrote:Arami : I think those who make such comments without even really playing the game should go through Anigan at least once.

Arima : For once I agree with you, i mean how can you judge something only by its package and not by its contents ?

Arami : I guess a number of Earthlings feels that way, no ?

Arima : From what i could gather of their species, it's mostly those of the younger generations that places so much importance in the graphism.

Arami : Sad, I hope one day they will have as much wisdom and intelligence as we have.

Arima : Doubtful but who knows, maybe the Earthlings can surprise us once more.
Directed mostly at this and the things posted that were similar to this. And there are a lot of them! You can't say it's a straw man when I can just go back and look at the posts that exist.

I don't think raging at nerds for being terrible is hypocritical. At worst I think it's kind of a waste of time, because they'll never believe that they're terrible.

Also, when most people say cover, they mean the front of the book. I have never, ever seen a cover with a description of what is in the book. (Except when the title is the description. Like "The Cave of Time", which is a choose your own adventure that is about a cave of time. I haven't read it.) Generally they just have a title and an author. General it's the back or the inside cover of the book that has a blurb about it, or a sample of the writing on it. This is an important distinction, because those things are generally put there FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF JUDGING WHETHER OR NOT IT IS WORTHWHILE TO BUY THE BOOK. I don't think someone should be judged harshly for refusing to spend time playing a game that is "a game that is like deus ex but about an internet forum and internet forum drama and memes." I think it is a perfectly valid judgment to refuse to play a game based on such a stupid premise. It's a fun game, because it is deus ex, but come on, that is seriously the third or forth most terrible premise I've ever heard.

By the way, good job saying people who think and act differently than you need psychiatric help! This is the internet, though, you could probably get away with just saying that that's how hitler would act.

P.S. I read old books too, and am also capable of namedropping them. The brothers karamazov. The three musketeers. The great gatsby. "feminism".

P.P.S.S. You're going to claim I didn't understand your argument. Calling this right now.
Use the prod. Prod with the prod! Don't worry, we're police! -J.C.'s Brother, Paul Detnon
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by chris the cynic »

Dr.Ghosts wrote:P.P.S.S. You're going to claim I didn't understand your argument. Calling this right now.
No I am not. Please do not lie about me.
P.S. I read old books too, and am also capable of namedropping them. The brothers karamazov. The three musketeers. The great gatsby. "feminism".
Nice that you have namedropped them, but I fail to see the point. As you are aware, I named three works because they were about the same thing. The point being that if I were to judge the books by what they are about I would judge them equally even though they are, in fact, quite different.

And yes, I said that Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Firebrand is a feminist work. So what?
Directed mostly at this and the things posted that were similar to this. And there are a lot of them! You can't say it's a straw man when I can just go back and look at the posts that exist.
Actually I can and, in point of fact, I more or less did. Reality is a hard thing to fight against, but you seem determined to try. Just to make it explicit:
It's a straw man.

I have done that which you said I could not do. Perhaps you should reevaluate your statements considering something that you have stated as fact is clearly false.

More to the point, someone strongly implied that it was incorrect to judge people based upon reviews that they made. You have now attempted to support your judgment of people by citing two reviews people made (of reviews no less.) If it is improper to judge people based on reviews then it is improper to judge people on reviews. A=A. You yourself called attention to this fact in your first post.

After calling attention to it you said, "Therefore, if you don't actually feel superior to the people who write these reviews that you all seem to despise or to make fun of, this isn't directed at you." So who is it directed at. Can you cite a single person it is directed at without judging them based upon a review that person made?

If you can then I take it back.

If you can not then the conclusion I am left with is that the post is directed at a nonspecific person or group of people (who may or may not exist) whose description is, "Whoever my argument may apply to," which seems like a straw man to me.
I don't think raging at nerds for being terrible is hypocritical. At worst I think it's kind of a waste of time, because they'll never believe that they're terrible.
I think raging at peoples reviews because those reviews were raging at other reviews is hypocritical. But maybe that is just me.

Can you at least admit that you are being terrible?
Also, when most people say cover, they mean the front of the book. I have never, ever seen a cover with a description of what is in the book. (Except when the title is the description. Like "The Cave of Time", which is a choose your own adventure that is about a cave of time. I haven't read it.) Generally they just have a title and an author. General it's the back or the inside cover of the book that has a blurb about it, or a sample of the writing on it. This is an important distinction, because those things are generally put there FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF JUDGING WHETHER OR NOT IT IS WORTHWHILE TO BUY THE BOOK.
The express purpose of the picture on the front cover is to help people judge whether or not it is worthwhile to buy the book. What is your point? That is the express purpose of many titles as well.
I don't think someone should be judged harshly for refusing to spend time playing a game that is "a game that is like deus ex but about an internet forum and internet forum drama and memes."
Which is why no one has. Some have been reviewed harshly for giving harsh reviews without experiencing that which they reviewed. Also, I would be interested to know where you got that description of the game. Doesn't ring true.
I think it is a perfectly valid judgment to refuse to play a game based on such a stupid premise. It's a fun game, because it is deus ex, but come on, that is seriously the third or forth most terrible premise I've ever heard.
Which is why that isn't actually the premise.
By the way, good job saying people who think and act differently than you need psychiatric help!
Are you saying that they don't? People with untreated schizophrenia think differently than me. Are you saying none of them need help?

I didn't say everyone who thinks differently from me needs psychiatric help. I said people who think different from me in a certain pathological way should seek help. I said that people who make judgments via inherently irrational means should seek help and while I was not actually serious I do think that irrational decision making can be dangerous.
This is the internet, though, you could probably get away with just saying that that's how hitler would act.
Hitler would reward you with a gold watch for quitting smoking, that does not make me believe that quitting smoking is wrong. Appeal to Hitler is odd at best.

[Added]
Just for the hell of it:
Premise: The fundamental concept that drives the plot.

The plot of TNM is not driven by it being an internet forum, or internet memes or even internet drama. These things play an important role. Forum City is the setting after all. But think about it, leave these to drive the plot and the plot goes nowhere. There is no plot. Nothing happens.

The plot is driven by DD being kidnapped. The premise is (and we can quibble over phrasing) is that Trest was called in to investigate the kidnapping of a powerful and integral member of the community.
Dr.Ghosts
Mole Person
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Dr.Ghosts »

lol

oh my god, you person who disagrees with me

I seriously cannot stop laughing at this post

seriously? everyone who thinks differently than you is mentally ill? goddamn

also, yes that is the premise of this mod. the nile ain't just a river in egypt, buddy. I know that that's the premise because A. I have played the mod B. I have read parts of the website for the mod. just because no one else uses those exact words doesn't mean it wasn't a valid description of the premise.

So you admit that it is fair to judge a book, or a video game, based on it's cover, since they're using the cover to sell the book to you? thank you, i wouldn't be bold enough to assert that right away.

Rest of your post was kind of TL;DR, sorry buddy.

-Dr. Ghosts, a ghosts that is also a doctors
Use the prod. Prod with the prod! Don't worry, we're police! -J.C.'s Brother, Paul Detnon
User avatar
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions
Posts: 14222
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Hafnia
Contact:

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by Jonas »

Edited for personal attack that serves no purpose but to make you appear unintelligent. We don't like personal attacks or name-calling here.

Also you lose this debate by default for finding Chris's post too long to read. If you lack the patience or other mental resources to read Chris's post, then I don't see any reason to take anything you write seriously.

Oh and just to clear everything up: People around the Internet make fun of us based on a brief description of our project. We quote them here and make fun of them right back. Not really hypocrisy, just... retaliation, if you will. Also hilarious!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

You can buy my games on Steam if you like 'em.
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Post Reply