High Brow TNM Reviews

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: High Brow TNM Reviews

Post by chris the cynic »

Trestkon wrote:
chris the cynic wrote:Crap, I broke format. Fixed in my post, but where uniform format really matters is in the first one.
Just the bolding, right? I fixed it in my post :)
Also things were italic where they shouldn't have been.

Original ones are:

Bold name and origin - Italic quote.

The ones I made are italic everything.
Mastakilla
Mole Person

Post by Mastakilla »

My mate is like that, always whining about graphics.
Someone please shoot him?
yns88
Thug

Post by yns88 »

Zeitgeist wrote: I guarantee that each one of these people own copies of Halo, Call of Duty: World at War, Gears of War 2, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
Nah, those last two are from Codexers, who are largely just fuming idiots. They don't own those games because they despise anything that isn't a top-down WRPG.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The problem with Codexers is that a lot of the time they aren't idiots, unlike, say, many people on GameTrailers (where the quotes in the original post are from). Codexers are actually often intelligent, but rampantly elitist and arrogant - and proud of it to boot.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

well the saying goes don't judge a book by its cover, so dont judge a mod by its..... err... trailer?
.siht daer ot emit eht koot yllautca uoy eveileb tnac I
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

TheXGhost wrote:well the saying goes don't judge a book by its cover, so dont judge a mod by its..... err... trailer?
Although that's kind of the point...we can't win :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Deacon Lowdown
Mole Person

Post by Deacon Lowdown »

Jonas wrote:
Deacon Lowdown wrote:It's funny, because this mod is probably a more substantial achievement than anything Spector's done since 2003.
Let's not take cheap shots at Warren Spector, his work is the reason this mod exists in the first place ;)
Ah, I suppose that was kind of a low blow. Really, even if Spector had walked off of the face of the earth in '01, he would still have created both System Shocks, DX, and Thief, which is more than enough for any one man to accomplish.

Seriously, what I mean is that I think Spector would be proud of you guys: making something this epic over the internet, where forum game projects are notorious for failing horrendously (google "zybourne clock"), is an incredible achievement. Even if it doesn't have the same self serious, gritty attitude DX had, I think WS would be impressed by the quality of the map design, the interlacing story arcs, incredible freedom and open world, which was what Deus Ex was really about, not black helicopters and Illuminati.
LTKJAY
Thug

Post by LTKJAY »

I suppose they're complimenting your works.
Zeitgeist wrote:I guarantee that each one of these people own copies of Halo, Call of Duty: World at War, Gears of War 2, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
Thank God I don't own World at War.
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

And the story sounds just awful. And your writing sucks.
I have here an order of Flamebait here for a Jonas.. Jonas... is there a Jonas here... crap I have the wrong forum..
but that isn't due to the people who made it, that engine is just too old. it looks worse than counterstrike.
Well Counterstrike didn't have a non-linear story or voice acting.. so your argument is mute. I guess that means Deus Ex is a shit game going by what he said.
Pristine examples of gaming like the TNM mod are WASTED on these people.
I wouldn't call it an example of gaming lol-- that's a bit too gracious Metche, rather a Pristine example of Narrative Driven Non-linear Gameplay- the sum of its parts can't be assessed effectively and that's what these morons are doing- if they broke the game down they'll see where it does extremely well at and where it fails- I can already see that but that doesn't stop the game from being a damn fine effort at producing an incredibly non-linear game- it even puts Invisible War to shame in a lot of cases and that's my honest opinion.

What these morons seem to only care about is if it has a AAA status- but given how shit those games are honestly would you even give a crap what people thought about TNM in comparative to the majority of crappy AAA games there are? the fact is that if you look at TNM as an indie game, similar to the likes of Mount and Blade, and Introversion's games, you realize that TNM is an amazing effort especially given how few people worked on it compared to something like Mass Effect (they had over 100 QAs alone on that- watch the credits next time ;)).
Hazelnut
Mole Person

Post by Hazelnut »

yns88 wrote:
Nah, those last two are from Codexers, who are largely just fuming idiots. They don't own those games because they despise anything that isn't a top-down WRPG.
Opinionated, definitely. Elitist & arrogant, yep. Largely just fuming idiots - not really, although it sure can seem that way more and more these days. It's not like it used to be signal to noise wise, in fact I've not stopped by for a month or so, but the fact remains I've spent more time at the Codex over the last six years than any other forum - and had a some very intelligent and funny conversations. As for "they despise anything that isn't a top-down WRPG", you may not realise that Deus Ex made it into the Codex's top 10 list a few years back IIRC. (if not it was close)
Jonas wrote:The problem with Codexers is that a lot of the time they aren't idiots, unlike, say, many people on GameTrailers (where the quotes in the original post are from). Codexers are actually often intelligent, but rampantly elitist and arrogant - and proud of it to boot.
Pretty much, although I can't fathom why you think Codexers not being idiots is a problem.

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to getting into this mod when I have enough free time, and although the premise is a bit odd that's certainly not going to put me off trying something that's obviously had so much effort and love poured into it.

Cheers,

Hazelnut.

(Not your average Codexer I guess)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hazelnut wrote:Pretty much, although I can't fathom why you think Codexers not being idiots is a problem.
Because then we can't just dismiss them as "fuming idiots" and ignore what they have to say ;)

Seriously though, the RPG Codex crowd is my core audience, so I have nothing but love for you guys. Even when you're blatantly wrong (read: when you disagree with me!)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hazelnut
Mole Person

Post by Hazelnut »

Jonas wrote:
Hazelnut wrote:Pretty much, although I can't fathom why you think Codexers not being idiots is a problem.
Because then we can't just dismiss them as "fuming idiots" and ignore what they have to say ;)
Ah, k. Doesn't seem to stop most people... :roll:
Jonas wrote:Seriously though, the RPG Codex crowd is my core audience, so I have nothing but love for you guys. Even when you're blatantly wrong (read: when you disagree with me!)
Well as I said, I've not been there for weeks (went on holiday for 2 weeks and haven't had the block of time needed to 'catch up' - which is just making it worse I guess) but once I've spent some time with TNM I'll post my thoughts over there. Blatantly wrong, or not. ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Here's a guideline to help you:

Blatantly wrong: Anything negative.
Correct: Anything positive.

...okay I'll stop now. Sorry :P

I hope you'll enjoy the mod, bugs and all. But hey, it's not a truly player-driven immersive RPG if your first release is bugless, amirite? Look at Bloodlines! We'll get this thing patched up in no time, you'll see.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

You should not take that seriously. Jonas needs criticism so that his next project will be even better. Just make sure the criticism does not take the form of, "This sucks," but instead, "It would have been better if."

Of course you might still be wrong in his eyes, I know some of the criticism I've had has been judged as wrong by members of the team.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

chris the cynic wrote:Of course you might still be wrong in his eyes, I know some of the criticism I've had has been judged as wrong by members of the team.
That's because you're dumb. Dummie.

:p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis