A sales pitch

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
MrBlack
NSF

A sales pitch

Post by MrBlack »

Ok so, let's not make this a discussion of SP/MP, or personal opinions on how good/bad DX:MP is, regardless of how "good" DX:MP may be, it still has an active community, and 9 years of multiplayer activity, that's saying something.

I wanted to state that first to make it clear that outright non-constructive abuse isn't necessary.

Since 05 I have created and developed a multiplayer modification known as Deus Ex:Arx Genus, it's been pretty successful, except that it hasn't attracted enough coding dedication to get it developed further than a few versions.

What DX:AG is, is best described in my FAQ;

Code: Select all

DXAG stands for (D)eus (E)x: (A)rx (G)enus (Rough translation of Arx Genus - Team Fortress)

The mod is a team based class/character mod, where you choose your class/character from a different range

DXAG is heavily based off the works of Team Fortress for Quake 2, Halflife 1&2. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Battlefield 1942 or 2

The objective is to defeat the other team, not by just combat (such as DXMP) but also teamwork through utilising each classes unique attributes 
Here is a download link for the FAQ;

FAQ Download RAR

So my sales pitch, is essentially with TNM's lack of a unique multiplayer (not sure if MP even works in TNM), and with a substantial amount of current players for multiplayer, and also taking into consideration the amount of new DX/TNM players who might be thinking "wait, whats that multiplayer button do?". Would it be in your best interest to cater for these players by including a decent multiplayer experience?

By integrating TNM and AG, TNM would therefore have a unique and enjoyable multiplayer functionality, which would make use of some good features of TNM (especially the new weapons/items).

The source code for DX:AG has been made public anyway, so here is a download link for those willing to take a look;

DX:AG Source Code Download

And finally, in hopes to maybe persuade you a little, a DX:AG fan made a youtube video to demonstrate this mod;

DXAG Gameplay Video

I do know this is somewhat of a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to try, does it?

Thanks for hearing me out
"It's all good!"
Stefan
Thug

Re: A sales pitch

Post by Stefan »

Interesting idea. I've played DX:AG before and it is quite an amazing modification. The combination of TNM + AG would require a lot of hard work, but it would still be possible, no? I like the idea, so good luck with it ;)

I have been a part of the DXMP community, but still I prefer the game because of it's SP, although MP isn't bad either. As for TNM, it is amazing - even Warren commented on it :P. If TNM included MP and the DX:AG game mode (modified to suit TNM) then I would certainly consider playing it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Stefan wrote:As for TNM, it is amazing - even Warren commented on it :P
Though to be fair he commented before he'd actually played it. It'll be interesting to see what he thinks after he's actually given it a try ;)

Anyway! This is an interesting idea, but I don't think anybody on the TNM team much fancies working with Deus Ex anymore. We'll release our uncompiled work files at some point, and you should feel free to incorporate any of our stuff that you can use into your mod.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Stefan
Thug

Post by Stefan »

Jonas wrote:
Though to be fair he commented before he'd actually played it. It'll be interesting to see what he thinks after he's actually given it a try ;)
My point was that you made a mod which even got Warren Spector to comment on it, even if he played it or not, which still is somewhat of an achievement :oops:
Grub
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Grub »

Jonas wrote:

Anyway! This is an interesting idea, but I don't think anybody on the TNM team much fancies working with Deus Ex anymore. We'll release our uncompiled work files at some point, and you should feel free to incorporate any of our stuff that you can use into your mod.
Yeah. Jonas is just about right on the money here. We've spent a lifetime of a development cycle on this game and, while it hasn't killed our taste for Deus Ex, I think it's accurate to say we're more than ready to move on to our own things

After we're done maintaining, of course. We won't forget about you beautiful people :)
And the things we've learned as well as the principles of Deus Ex which have become burned into our minds...well, that's something we can never truly forget. We'll carry that with us forever.
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

Grub wrote:And the things we've learned as well as the principles of Deus Ex which have become burned into our minds...well, that's something we can never truly forget. We'll carry that with us forever.
awwwwwwwwwwww