Why do the Firewalls hate me? (PDX storyline)

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Pandarsenic
Thug

Why do the Firewalls hate me? (PDX storyline)

Post by Pandarsenic »

After taking multiple attempts to enter the PDX headquarters... to visit King Kashue... after completing a PDX mission... I've gotten rather frustrated with the Firewalls.

Namely because they abruptly all turned hostile out of absolutely NOWHERE and fragged me with the bots in a matter of seconds when I came close

Something is clearly wrong here. I've killed them all so they can't pull this bullshit any more, but I just felt this to be worthy of whining/questioning.
odawali
UNATCO

Re: Why do the Firewalls hate me? (PDX storyline)

Post by odawali »

Is this Day 2? I've had a couple of instances where they turned hostile during or after a shootout with charging WC troops. Also if you loot a dead Firewall for items, the ones who see you will turn hostile.
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

It's happening right now on Day 2 but it first happened to me Day 1, after the leaving the meeting with MIB.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

odawali wrote:Also if you loot a dead Firewall for items, the ones who see you will turn hostile.
Actually I think looting is fine, picking up the corpse is a no-no though, and will turn them instant-hostile (same with AO in his bar).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Nope, happened to me more than once.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

I've had random ones downtown turn on me. All of a sudden I'm getting shot and I turn and look and one's chasing me, shooting. I just figured their code was buggy because of DD's disappearance or something. (Buggy as in intentionally buggy as part of the story.)
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

i remember having firewalls in the downtown area turn on me after i lured that spiderbot out of it's alleyway hiding spot and out into the open; the firewalls started attacking it and then they began attacking me
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Myself, I had one firewall consistently go hostile on me in downtown on day 1, probably from breaking into a building, and I had another go hostile on me sometime on day 1 in the corporate district after I was attacked by a bot. The firewall in corporate came out of nowhere several minutes later and started shooting at me. Perhaps it saw the disabled bot and went "OMGZORS A BODY."

Faction members seem to go hostile if they see another hostile or dead faction member, so that's probably why you ended up with all of them hostile to you - just one had to go hostile in the right place.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, the firewall hatred is pretty deep. Got a lot of stories on that topic.

* 1 went crazy over getting shot while chasing n00bs, by other firewalls. And promptly blames it on me.
* 4 went crazy for breaking and entering (okay, that's a good excuse)
* 1 went crazy for me walking higher than him, trying to get to one of NARC's flags
* Apparently (in 1.0.1) talking to SymGeosis causes all hostile firewalls to zoom on your position. Gave me another target to kill, because I killed his buddies right there and then.
* And of course the 2 in the slums had to die in order to blow up the garage doors/open DXI doors.

Also; I sincerly hate them for continously killing Master_Kale when I try a peaceful n00b solution. And then Trestkon takes all the credit when he talks to his members :lol:.

Funny enough the FireWall in PDX HQ didn't mind me killing everyone during a WC run.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Apparently (in 1.0.1) talking to SymGeosis causes all hostile firewalls to zoom on your position.
Not really, I know you reported that, but I could never replicate it, and you're the only person ever to bring it up. I'm assuming you did something else to piss them off.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

Well, one in Downtown just went hostile on me because I jumped and made a pain grunt noise thing when I landed. Yeah...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You know, the Deus Ex AI is fairly quirky and unstable, and responses can be both illogical and severely delayed, so I'd be careful with attributing a reaction to any unlikely event. Far more likely than a firewall going hostile because you jumped in front of him is the possibility that something else had happened to tick him off that didn't actually have an effect until you did something to make him notice you.

And I will say this again. There are all of about two ways to solve these firewall issues: Either we make them not respond to anything, meaning you could blow up a firewall with a LAM, and the firewall next to him wouldn't even blink, or we remove firewalls entirely.

I'll admit the scenario we set up in the Downtown district puts too high demands on what the AI has to be able to handle, but there's nothing to do about it now save a full rewrite of the Deus Ex AI code, and I can't even begin to express how much that is not going to happen ](*,)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Think of it this way, the firewalls are not people (i.e. they are not controlled by users), they are artificial constructs ... artificial constructs that may well suck.

The Deus Ex AI may suck, and there isn't much the team can do about that, but at least in the case of the firewalls there is a plausible explanation for the resulting behavior: the firewall system simply isn't that good. Consider it a part of the fiction.
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

Problem solved:

Each day, the second a Firewall damages me, I put on God Mode, apply allhealth, Ghost, turn off God Mode, and fly around casting the "tantalus" cheat on any firewall I encounter.

Problem solved. :D
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I tried tantalus, but was disappointed to see that when I tantalus'd a firewall nearby firewalls would then become hostile to me as well. Not exactly a clean take down, maybe if I had also used Invisible 1....