Oversensitive LAMs?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
povuholo
Thug

Oversensitive LAMs?

Post by povuholo »

I know that LAMs explode if they collide with a living target, but I think they explode way too easily, even when you aim to the left or right of a character it'll explode. I blew myself up because there was a rat nearby several times. :oops:

I don't remember them being like that in the original Deus Ex game. What's up?

And on an unrelated note, are you supposed to be able to pick up portable lights? I found a few of those sticks while snooping around but I couldn't pick them up.

edit: They don't actually explode if you bounce them on the ground besides them, but if you aim at them or a bit above them (in this case a rat) from a distance it will almost instantly explode when thrown even if the rat is still quite far away from where the LAM exploded.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Oversensitive LAMs?

Post by DDL »

Does this happen with...not rats? Like if you throw it at a pigeon (admittedly tricky), or a board guest?

While the thrownprojectile code for DX is poorly written and annotated, and has inherited some equally poorly documented stuff from unreal, the correct behaviour for thrownprojectiles in DX is to bounce off everything they hit (including people), with the single exception of carcasses, because carcasses are decoration but not a deusexdecoration. If they hit a carcass they go BOOM (so make sure the rats you're testing on aren't dead).

I know TNM did include (at least at one point) additional collision actors around some animals (especially cats, Jonas is just THAT much of a cat person) to prevent you stamping them to death, but whether that's still in AND whether that'd cause premature LAM asplosion...I don't know.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We haven't changed the behaviour of LAMs to the best of my knowledge.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nopushbutton
Thug

Post by nopushbutton »

Just a thought, but who are you throwing the LAMs at? If you're throwing them at someone with the ADS aug, it'll detonate them at a pretty good distance.
povuholo
Thug

Post by povuholo »

nopushbutton wrote:Just a thought, but who are you throwing the LAMs at? If you're throwing them at someone with the ADS aug, it'll detonate them at a pretty good distance.
I think you're right, when I explored the building some more I ran into another augmented guy. I thought they were all dead already...
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Enemies with ADS can be pain, especially with Vortex Grenades...
And the fact they always have it active, so no catching them unaware.

@DDL: Yes, you cannot trample a rat/cat to dead. You can however jump the "rabid dog" in the Slums to dead (which I did my first game accidentily, never even noticed it being hostile).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...