The way characters talk about Despot reminds me a lot of...

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
deuxhero
UNATCO

The way characters talk about Despot reminds me a lot of...

Post by deuxhero »

What I have read about Planescape's Lady of Pain except the being a giant Karkian thing. Given that Jonas seems to like Torment (it's in his ingame lab) (and I likely would as well, if I could find a damn copy) and he is credited for text and dialogue, I have to ask if this intended.
Last edited by deuxhero on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: The way characters talk about Despot reminds me a lot of...

Post by Jaedar »

Now that you mention it, they do talk about Despot the same way they talk about the lovely lady.
However they are a lot different in all other respects, but at least they will always share their hermit approach to tyranny and dictatorship. and as for Planescape, download it, this is one of the few cases where it is your moral duty to do so.(if you feel bad about it just buy something else that interplay published or obsidian made.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Not intended, but very likely subconscious inspiration because Planescape: Torment is the holy grail of games writing and everybody must play it or get the hell off my Internets.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Not intended, but very likely subconscious inspiration because Planescape: Torment is the holy grail of games writing and everybody must play it or get the hell off my Internets.
Jonas, I woke up this morning and thought I could not possibly like you any more. I was wrong. :oops: 8)

Please note that If you are a nazi, looking unto the grail may cause facemelting.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Please note that If you are a nazi, looking unto the grail may cause facemelting.
If I were a nazi, I hope that you would like me a whole lot less...

(Incidentally, note what the monitor on Phasmatis's computer is displaying: It's an old screenshot of my desktop :P)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Thank you for reminding me Jonas, I need a new desktop background.

Edit: dang can't find a good picture of it. Oh well.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

In case you're interested:
Torment: PLAY IT
Torment: PLAY IT
Mmmmmm tiefling
Mmmmmm tiefling
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Thank you Jonas :) You know someday, you might just make me accept that the danish are not all horrible people (contrary to what swedish history teachers say :))
odio ergo sum
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:everybody must play it or get the hell off my Internets.
No. D&D is not the kind of game I play and anything even remotely related to it in any major (And some minor) ways I refuse to play.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:You know someday, you might just make me accept that the danish are not all horrible people
And that is when we'll strike! >:D
Kee715 wrote:D&D is not the kind of game I play and anything even remotely related to it in any major (And some minor) ways I refuse to play.
What the hell are you doing on a Deus Ex forum then?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I liked PS:T, but I got horrible issues when running it on my modern PC :(. Spells = Totally messed up screen.

Also; it has been a while ago, when I was a stupid teenager, so I played it as a fighter with mainly STR and CON instead of INT and WIS... *sigh*.
Would want to replay it, but I guess I would have to illegally download it then, and fix it up somehow :-k.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Do It Hassat, you will not regret it.
For fixing please see:
http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38180
odio ergo sum
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:
Kee715 wrote:D&D is not the kind of game I play and anything even remotely related to it in any major (And some minor) ways I refuse to play.
What the hell are you doing on a Deus Ex forum then?
Deus Ex is minorly related because it has RPG elements, that is why I said "D&D is not the kind of game I play and anything even remotely related to it in any major (And some minor) ways I refuse to play."

I dislike the main setting and whatnot of D&D, in addition I have looked up it's game mechanics and character building systems and I dislike it. Deus Ex just has a simple skill system and the ability to make choices as the main RPG elements, another reason I like it, but I also like Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, which seems much better to me compared to D&D's system. But sometimes I contradict myself without noticing and I forget to state exceptions, I just mainly dislike D&D and all that is directly related to it, other RPGs are fine so long as their setting matches my tastes, like Deus Ex, Fallout, and Mass Effect looks pretty cool but I have a very crappy computer. (Which I have made clear before.)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Kee715 wrote:I dislike the main setting and whatnot of D&D, in addition I have looked up it's game mechanics and character building systems and I dislike it.
Thank you for aptly demonstrating the complete lack of value in dismissing a game based exclusively on your experience with other, marginally related games. Torment's setting has little to nothing to do with traditional D&D settings - it's barely recognisable as fantasy. There are no orcs, no elves, the spells are generally fairly original, and there aren't even any swords for crying out loud (except Dak'kon's katana which is shaped from pure chaos by his own mind). As for the mechanics, Did you look up D&D 4's character systems, D&D 3's character systems, AD&D's character systems, or Torment's character systems? Each is radically different from the others. Torment's system is nominally based on AD&D, but since it completely cuts away your initial class choice, it's also entirely different.

In summary: My good man, you are narrow-minded, prejudiced, and foolish ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:
Kee715 wrote:I dislike the main setting and whatnot of D&D, in addition I have looked up it's game mechanics and character building systems and I dislike it.
Thank you for aptly demonstrating the complete lack of value in dismissing a game based exclusively on your experience with other, marginally related games. Torment's setting has little to nothing to do with traditional D&D settings - it's barely recognisable as fantasy. There are no orcs, no elves, the spells are generally fairly original, and there aren't even any swords for crying out loud (except Dak'kon's katana which is shaped from pure chaos by his own mind). As for the mechanics, Did you look up D&D 4's character systems, D&D 3's character systems, AD&D's character systems, or Torment's character systems? Each is radically different from the others. Torment's system is nominally based on AD&D, but since it completely cuts away your initial class choice, it's also entirely different.
There are different systems depending upon the game? I just assumed that it remained the same, but then again I just looked at enough to have some reasoning behind disliking it. As for Planescape: Torment I just saw "Related to D&D" and dismissed it as more D&D crap I dislike. And I just read some of the Wikipedia article on D&D (Series) and Planescape: Torment, I have not played any D&D style games as of yet as I have disliked what I have read.
Jonas wrote:In summary: My good man, you are narrow-minded, prejudiced, and foolish ;)
At first I wouldst have said that is completely untrue, but I decided to go the non-troll way and look those words up. Well apparently I am usually narrow-minded and prejudiced, but only occasionally foolish.