TNM Poster Art Project

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: TNM Poster Art Project

Post by Jonas »

chris the cynic wrote:I think it might be best if there are no characters above Scara, but that would leave a lot of empty space.
Seconded. That's part of the reason I would like to move Ryan and Evil down. I wouldn't mind the empty space personally, I think it would frame the characters nicely.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Truth be told I have nothing against empty space, I just figured someone might.

That said, I do think a black helicopter should be added somewhere, and above Scara is the most logical place. (Unless it's the crashed one, in that case it should be below the characters.)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If a black helicopter were added, it would be mostly as a reference to TNM as a Deus Ex mod. Unlike in Deus Ex, the black chopper doesn't play a sufficiently iconic role in TNM to merit an appearance on a poster for that reason. It would certainly be a good way to tie the mod to Deus Ex though, and I would support that :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:If a black helicopter were added, it would be mostly as a reference to TNM as a Deus Ex mod. Unlike in Deus Ex, the black chopper doesn't play a sufficiently iconic role in TNM to merit an appearance on a poster for that reason. It would certainly be a good way to tie the mod to Deus Ex though, and I would support that :)
Herasy! The black chopper is instrumental to Trestkons success! Though a space shuttle would be cooler :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

HOVER CAR!
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

JC_Helios wrote:HOVER CAR!
Oh yes! Hover car in awesome action shot. Explosions all around!
chris the cynic wrote:That said, I do think a black helicopter should be added somewhere, and above Scara is the most logical place. (Unless it's the crashed one, in that case it should be below the characters.)
A definite yes from me for the inclusion of the stealth helicopter! It was at the back of my mind the whole time. I'm liking the idea of the crashed helicopter. That was a memorable set piece in TNM, and Deus Ex itself has already taken dibs on a flying helicopter. Plus a flying one might be fighting for space with the ROFL.

Eh I shall try both.
The next update i'll have to post multiple versions of the composition based on all these ideas.

Many thanks again. This is all wonderfully helpful. :)
High five for team effort! *holds palm in the air*

*looks up at the wall above her computer* I so cannot wait till I've finished this. :mrgreen:
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

*high fives*

I was thinking about what Jonas said about iconic-ness. The firestaff is iconic, as are the sporks/foons. It would be cool if they could be featured but I am at a loss as to how to fit them in. Another image that I think captures TNM is that of a person in a menacing battle ready stance armed with a screwdriver, but as before I have no idea how to fit that in.

Obviously the hovercar sequence is iconic.

No idea if this post was helpful in any way.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

chris the cynic wrote:*high fives*

I was thinking about what Jonas said about iconic-ness. The firestaff is iconic, as are the sporks/foons. It would be cool if they could be featured but I am at a loss as to how to fit them in. Another image that I think captures TNM is that of a person in a menacing battle ready stance armed with a screwdriver, but as before I have no idea how to fit that in.

Obviously the hovercar sequence is iconic.

No idea if this post was helpful in any way.
No no this is really good!
*hands out notepaper and pens*

Ok people! Write down everything you can thing of that is iconic of TNM and we'll sift through the brainstorming results thereafter :D
We'll try not to let this poster become too cluttered, but it's better if we make sure we don't miss anything that really needs to be featured. I don't want to finish the thing and then you and me to be in this situation: "oh wait... we forgot... D'OH!"

The firestaff is a key catalyst for a lot of the plot.
The goats and llamas should be there in a subtle way at least.
The Firewalls are pretty iconic too; and important element of the fiction of Forum City .

As a note of reference: movie posters and comic covers are designed to sum up the key elements of their entire story/concept.
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

A lot of movie posters are quite cluttered but I think that the poster as it is, plus suggestions of chopper and hover car is probably reaching a critical clutter threshold of some kind.

My first thoughts on the cults would be either have their leaders glaring at each other across the poster or put generic low level cultists fighting each other somewhere on the poster. A more subtle alternative would be to feature the temples of the cults in the background (probably on opposite sides of the poster, about in the middle vertically.)

I go to sleep now, perhaps I shall think of more postery stuff in the morning.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I don't think that the cults should be in there. It's much like the Narcissus Entity - even though they are iconic and can have a large role in an extended play, they're still more of a bonus quest, though you have to interact with them at least once.
So aside from Ryan, which is in a somewhat odd pose, I don't think anything should be changed in the current poster setting - it's pretty much perfect.

(Oh, and the space shuttle would give out the whole last level OMIGOSH-ness, and the helicopter is only used once. I don't think they're worth noting, except for a Deus Ex homage.)
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I was thinking some barely discernible Cult billboards in the background would work... Sort of like the subliminal messages in the first trailer.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I do like the silhouette skyline, but adding the goat and llama logos to some of them might work. I don't think it's necessary though. And it definitely wouldn't help the clutter.

The firestaff... I would suggest that DD would be holding it, but he already has a personal weapon. Might still be an idea to replace his fireblade with the staff, since the staff is also tied strongly to his character and is considerably more important in the game.

Adding the hovercar to the poster, perhaps exploding out of a building to the left of Scara, would totally work IMO. It should at least be attempted.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jonas wrote:I do like the silhouette skyline, but adding the goat and llama logos to some of them might work. I don't think it's necessary though. And it definitely wouldn't help the clutter.
Well I was thinking kind of like barely visible. Maybe a "Goat own U!" and "Llamas rulz!" graffiti just a few shades different than the building they're plastered on. You know, something you'd have to strain in order to see, or have to be intentionally looking for.
For the fire staff Scara might be reaching for it(prolly too big of a change), or just staring at it lustfully.
spyhopping
Thug

Post by spyhopping »

I second the idea for a black helicopter, perhaps for more of a nod toward DX than anything else. The skyline is great, you could perhaps integrate a chopper with the city silhouette, in proper DX style. I'm defiantly getting a good vibe, the colour sets a great mood!

Scara is awesome, so is Trestkon. I really like how you've done DD at the bottom, his pose. ZeroPresence is in a perfect spot too.
teknikal wrote: Thanks spyhopping! How's your art going by the way?

Mmmmm tea. Yes I prefer tea over coffee definitely, especially something from the Twinings range. Hold the milk though. Two sugars. Make mine strong - leave the tea bag in :D
Noooooo, not sugar!! But you've got it right on the strength front so I'll let you off :P

I'm still improving with my digital stuff, starting to feel more natural with it. The thing I love most about drawing is that you're constantly learning, and it can be really rewarding when you pick something up quickly. The problem is that I never finish anything to show. I need to improve with making images look polished, as most of my pics hang around as rough starts, and then I get a bit of a block. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and start posting things that are rough, whilst I'm still experimenting! Going to pick up Alchemy again too.

One thing that I've enjoyed using is a little program called 3CH. I heard of it by looking around at what the guys from steambot were up to, and I saw some old threads from a concept art forum. You may have already seen it, but it basically generates a scenario for you to do a speedpainting of and is really good fun, a bit of a challenge.

Some results of 3CH- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63290
3CH zip file- http://3ch.redwhirlpool.com/3CH/3CHMODS.zip
Viag's blog-http://redwhirlpool.blogspot.com

Did you end up getting their book?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I'm continuing to think about what you might want to include, and I think we've covered most everything. DXI is important, but the firestaff could represent that. In fact, other than ghosty Gwog, it is the only thing I can think of that really represents DXI. Do you want to have something to represent DXO? For some reason ShadowCode keeps on popping into my head (and I only just realized how that sounds considering his role in the game) but I don't really think there's much call to include him. I kind of feel like the voodoo shop is iconic, but I can't fathom how you could put that on a poster.

So my brainstorming hasn't produced much. I did try though.

I wanted to illustrate what I meant about featuring the cult's temples, but I ran into a couple of problems. My primary computer is being repaired, and this one is ... well it's just wrong. No computer in existence today should be this slow unless it is a museum piece. I'm not even trying to put Deus Ex and TNM on it. The result is that I can't grab screenshots from TNM. I don't have a working scanner so I couldn't draw something. (On the plus side, it does save me the embarrassment of trying to draw something.) I did a quick search online but didn't find a head on view of the Llama temple.

So, in what has to be one of the most embarrassing examples of picture editing I have ever created, I give you kind of sort of what I mean. Imagine that the Goat Templae(TM) were a little more straight and colored to blend in with the rest of the picture. It should seem to be somewhere between the foreground of the characters and the background of the city skyline, with the impression that it's part of the skyline that just happens to be closer to the viewer ... or something. Opposite it, at the same hight, would be the Llama Temple (or rather, the left half of the Llama Temple) colored to not stand out from that side. Looking at it I think the most likely reason for this idea to fail is the coloration of where the Llama Temple would go.
Attachments
poster.JPG