Selling Items?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Selling Items?

Post by Jonas »

If I recall correctly, you'll pretty much know from the start whether you're going to like it or not. Except if you do like it and you end up quitting because of the bugs.

It does expand later on. You get to know the map and find new and interesting locations, like the Indian city which I remember as very picturesque. You get to know the gameplay and AI so you can actually start utilising stealth, but the stealth system isn't very well implemented so it often becomes an exercise in frustration. You get access to boats and helicopters and air planes, which is quite neat and they're fun to sail or fly, though some of the attack chopper missions can be pretty annoying because the SAM sites are so hard to spot. The plot also goes a bit bonkers, a bit Nicola Tesla conspiracy theory later on, but if you can get over how unexpected it all is, it should be interesting enough for a Deus Ex fan.

I remember it was mainly two things that made me stop playing: firstly, the more the game went on, the more driving you had to do, and way too many missions sent you from one end of the level to the other, with all it entailed of randomly spawned (but identical) ambushes and mind-numbing boredom. Secondly, even with the first, epic patch, the game was so buggy that it just didn't make sense a lot of the time. I got the flying jaguar bug, and worst of all I kept getting the bug where your car sunk into the ground and vanished if you moved too far away from it - when I'd lost one too many trunks full of equipment that way, I couldn't continue.

I did enjoy the free form exploration though, even if most of the map was just copy-pasted jungle tiles. Coming across a unique area like a military base or an Inca ruin in the middle of the otherwise wildly generic rain forest was really exciting. Owning a car that had a trunk to store stuff in and tires that could get shot out so you had to replace them with a spare tire was really cool, and that sense of ownership of something incredibly useful is something I'm missing in most games - Bloodlines had the same thing with your apartments, whereas Oblivion's houses kinda fell through because they were so useless. The best thing though was that it was one of only very very few games I've ever played that had no level transitions - home interiors were the same as exteriors, which opened a lot of tactical options.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:The best thing though was that it was one of only very very few games I've ever played that had no level transitions - home interiors were the same as exteriors, which opened a lot of tactical options.
Hahahah..god, the possibilities.
Sort of relevant: playing stalker again, I was struck by the fact that the major quest-giving traders, in addition to being in an area that magically takes weapons out of your hands, are also down long convoluted flights of stairs. I initially thought it was just a rendering thing, sort of 'zoning off' the trader to save rendering costs, but that didn't seem necessary, especially with the sheer number of turns in the stairs.

Until I figured it out: it's because otherwise it'd be theoretically possible to stand on the very cusp of the "NO GUNS HERE LOL" trigger, and fling grenades down inside until everything was dead.

I love that they either had a tester that did that, or realised someone might think to try it. And actually managed to fix it, rather than just adding a "YOU DICK" trigger and killing you or something.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:a "YOU DICK" trigger
Always the best kind of trigger.

Far Cry 2 was better at the whole "tactical options through streaming levels" thing though, in my opinion. I think because the AI was better and your arsenal more interesting, but also because the level design just utilised it better. It was like Deus Ex on a huge scale, where each mission was a camp or a building that - by virtue of being located in an open world - could be approached from any direction, but they also made sure that there were plenty of windows and back doors and such that you could go through. Or snipe through!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

Yep , indeed it was :) Iv'e found myself quite a lot of the time in far cry 2 wondering what weapons I'll take with me to my next mission , how im goona get there , and what faction I should work for . Never completed it yet , because its sooooo damn big :shock: Im on the third part of the main story , and boy is it frustrating :( im low on ammo , my sniper rifle broke on me , and whats worse My malaria tabs are finished :( and my character keeps getting worse with every half hour i play it !

that in addition , was also a good implementation of something you always need to keep tabs on something , so that you dont fell as if youre playing a linear game really .

damn malaria:( :lol:
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I cheated a lot in this Boiling Point, and patched it up. I had that thing where enemy bodies fell through the floor, and a couple other small similar bugs. With god mode I got in to see the Don, and learned to pilot the two boats. Just crashed on the plane test (with dvorak, it's hard to get the flight controls right). The patch added higher resolutions, but now it started seizing up worse, stalling every few seconds now, sometimes with the music stuttering. I think Boiling Point or its patch installed Windows Genuine Advantage, which I've been trying to avoid since it phones home. Time to test out Linux Mint on the desktop.

Anyway, I love the ideas in BP. It really does remind me of the old top-down RPGs. I won't be finishing the game, but I'll definitely try its successor.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I'm really looking forward to White Gold too (despite rumours of giant spiders). I was pretty disappointed when I heard that it was out in Russia, but had no release date for NA or EU yet.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

Hopefully both White Gold & Precursors turn out good - for all its faults Boiling Point could have been a good game with a little bit of polish and more thought put into mission design & story development. The only thing that worries me is that they have been developing White Gold & Precursors side-by-side and both games might suffer from this...

As for Boiling Point - if you install the 2nd patch it becomes slightly more polished but still suffers from stale mission design and the worst sound engine ever developed.
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
ecs
Thug

Post by ecs »

ECS delivers its customer the best and most high-quality shoulder bags for women online in Pakistan. ECS is a great place for shopping for women's handbags in Pakistan. So, purchase fashionable bags for women from ECS.
meerakofficial
Thug

Post by meerakofficial »

Are you looking for the latest embroidered dresses online in Pakistan? So, come to Meerak online and get the latest embroidered dress online in all over Pakistan at reasonable prices with quick delivery.
servis shoes
Thug

Post by servis shoes »

Shop the latest collection of Women Formal Shoes from Servis Shoes. Our range includes elegant and sophisticated styles for any formal occasion. Find the perfect pair to complement your outfit and step out in style and comfort.
ammarakhan
Thug

Post by ammarakhan »

Explore the variety of New Bridal Dress Design online at Ammara Khan. The brand's commitment to quality craftsmanship and attention to detail is evident in every piece, ensuring a sophisticated and luxurious look. Order your favorite bridal dress today.
Borjan
Thug

Post by Borjan »

Looking for the perfect pair of Peshawari Chappals? Explore our wide range of men Peshawari Chappals at Borjan. Discover comfortable and stylish designs crafted with quality materials. Shop now and step out in style with our authentic Peshawari Chappals.
Shahtaj_Qaiser
Thug

Post by Shahtaj_Qaiser »

Explore the beautiful Party wear dress in Pakistan by Shahtaj Qaiser. Elevate your style with our elegant designs, luxurious fabrics, and superior quality. Discover the perfect ensemble that will make you the center of attention on any event. Shop now!
chahyay
Thug

Post by chahyay »

Check out the latest lawn dress design from Chahyay. Our collection includes variety of law dresses that are best in quality and are comfortable to wear.
Mohagni
Thug

Post by Mohagni »

Upgrade your wardrobe with Mohagni simple trouser design. Made with high-quality materials, our trousers offer a comfortable and stylish fit for any occasion. Buy your favorite trouser online today.