Selling Items?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Selling Items?

Post by Jonas »

Frankly, Crysis is more Deus Ex than Project Snowblind is. Snowblind is just a corridor shooter, Crysis has levels even larger and often more open than DX's. I maintain that it's a considerably better game when you tweak the inis to give yourself a ridiculous amount of suit energy though :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

I really want to play IW :( Too bad it is buggy as hell.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:Invisible War still knocks the shit out of snowblind though. Snowblind is about as pure an "FPS + Augs" game can get (or at least, pre-crysis, I guess?), as it literally is a straightup largely corridor-based shooter...with augs. At least IW let you talk to people...
Crysis is pretty sweet though :d
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:I really want to play IW :( Too bad it is buggy as hell.
It is? :-k
Sure; crappy. But not as much buggy (unless you count the ridicilous physics as a bug).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

The game crashes constantly, the longest I have been able to play is 3 load points in a row before crashing :cry: I generally have to start the game 3 times just to load one of my save games.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

You're American? Then DL the patch (1.02). Us Europeans already got a fixed version.

And seeing your thread on the HDTP-forums, it might be your computer instead of DX:IW.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Whiplash
Thug

Post by Whiplash »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:Pretend you cant swim, dump the desired weapon into the waterway, and cheat to get the equivalent of 80% original cost
Huh?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

gamer0004 wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:because what you want to do in your own virtual world is pump gasoline.
I would actually like that.
Some people do want that. Simulations can be fun for me, but I find them initially frustrating and over time I get bored. Still, for me, games are to selectively escape. I like GTA for being a consequence-free sandbox, a real world with bad stuff removed. Some people want to wear TENS-unit vests that shock maybe 200 mA DC to the area that the playercharacter has been shot in. Different people like a different balance, and I like "reality -tedium -pain +awesomeness".
Jonas wrote:Frankly, Crysis is more Deus Ex than Project Snowblind is. Snowblind is just a corridor shooter, Crysis has levels even larger and often more open than DX's.
I used to think that Deus Ex was essentially the future of games, or at least for FPS. FPS games have far better stories and narrative now. That doesn't mean my original idea was vindicated though, not yet anyhow. Deus Ex for me was like a book that couldn't be put down.
Jonas wrote:I certainly wouldn't mind a mod that made Deus Ex more like an FPS, with more fluid movement, 100% accuracy, and a higher rate of fire on the pistol. Mostly because it'd be an interesting new way to experience the game. But I definitely don't think that's the way the game should have worked originally :)
Totally agreed. Often when I play, I allaugs allskills allcredits. It subtracts annoying complexities, but makes the game more shallow. It's not like JC is a white mage, so after a few playthroughs or when I have a specific goal, I can get tired of recreating a shallow RPG-ish character. Still, the game can be deeper than the FPS-like playthrough.
m3rc1l3ss wrote:The game crashes constantly, the longest I have been able to play is 3 load points in a row before crashing :cry: I generally have to start the game 3 times just to load one of my save games.
You mentioned HDTP's installer crashing 100% too in another thread. If reinstalling Windows doesn't help, download an ISO of the Windows version you own, use nlite to slipstream and customize it, and only run newly-downloaded executables. As Hassat Hunter suggested, all of the instability I had in DXIW was due to their stupid multiregion DVDs and multiregion patches combination.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:
Jonas wrote:Frankly, Crysis is more Deus Ex than Project Snowblind is. Snowblind is just a corridor shooter, Crysis has levels even larger and often more open than DX's.
I used to think that Deus Ex was essentially the future of games, or at least for FPS. FPS games have far better stories and narrative now. That doesn't mean my original idea was vindicated though, not yet anyhow. Deus Ex for me was like a book that couldn't be put down.
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but yeah, there are many reasons why Crysis is not a direct successor to Deus Ex, and one of those is that it's definitely lacking in the story department. Unfortunately Project Snowblind wasn't exactly written by Sheldon Pacotti either, you know?

I do think if you look at the good shooters on today's market, there are those that learned from Deus Ex (open levels with multiple paths and a nice broad toolset for the player to improvise with: STALKER, Crysis, even Far Cry 2) and those that learned from Half-Life (stronger focus on immersing the player with believable environments and narratives based on scripted sequences: Max Payne, Call of Duty). And of those that learned from Deus Ex, the ones that come closest to Deus Ex's specific gameplay are those that pitch themselves as first-person RPGs, for example Boiling Point or Bloodlines or even Fallout 3.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jonas wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but yeah, there are many reasons why Crysis is not a direct successor to Deus Ex, and one of those is that it's definitely lacking in the story department. Unfortunately Project Snowblind wasn't exactly written by Sheldon Pacotti either, you know?

I do think if you look at the good shooters on today's market, there are those that learned from Deus Ex (open levels with multiple paths and a nice broad toolset for the player to improvise with: STALKER, Crysis, even Far Cry 2) and those that learned from Half-Life (stronger focus on immersing the player with believable environments and narratives based on scripted sequences: Max Payne, Call of Duty). And of those that learned from Deus Ex, the ones that come closest to Deus Ex's specific gameplay are those that pitch themselves as first-person RPGs, for example Boiling Point or Bloodlines or even Fallout 3.
Oh, just rambling. I had thought that a detailed story would be like adding another dimension to games, that it would catch on since it made straightforward FPS "Aliens Are Attacking, Start Shooting" seem so obsolete. Pretty naive of me, I guess. I'm checking out Boiling Point.
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

is boiling point any good though ? I checked out a Review on gamespot , and it says it was kinda crap , but IDK TBH :-k someone fill me in if its good , i'll consider buying it .
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

I bought into Boiling Point back when it was still called Xenus - it is not worth it in my opinion. It is fun for a while and then just empty and boring. To bad Atari pushed them for release, it really needed at least another 1.5-2 years of polishing. Play Far Cry 2 instead - they are pretty much the same game, but FC2 is far more polished and fun (imo).
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

heliosentity101 wrote:is boiling point any good though ?
Not sure. I'll find out in a day or two.

edit: I'm still not sure. It's a bit clunky. There's no widescreen or high resolutions, so it feels disorienting. It keeps stalling for ~30 seconds. It throws the player into a town, where there's warring factions, where everything costs a lot of money, and nothing seems to further the story yet. I'm only on the first area, so I'm not sure what I'm doing. I just checked a walkthrough, and if you play Boiling Point, I highly recommend the walkthrough, since right at the start I screwed up enough that I couldn't move ahead in the game until I earned a few thousand dollars.
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

hmmm.... so in a way it sounds like farcry to me . its it kinda like a sandbox/rpg type game ?

Farcry 2 kicks ass btw :) got it for my 360 :) I Haz Teh Golden AK47 ! lawlz to badguyz !
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, 3D sandbox FPS. It has many elements of RPG, like sleeping/drinking/etc, and lots of controls that FPS games usually simplify. It is like FarCry 1 as an RPG. There's a lot of factions that can be friendly or not. The map is relatively large, though early in the game it's a vast unfriendly wilderness. It's made in 2005, but unless I have it misconfigured, it looks and feels like a much older game...older than Deus Ex, let alone a FarCry competitor (as a FPS). Everything is jagged and muddy even with advanced graphics filtering forced by the driver. The initial story is a bit trite, but it has a story, and a good atmosphere. Details that might explain the gameplay is that if you just get out of a vehicle and leave, it'll still be running, using up a limited supply of gasoline, stranding you; if you've been shot to near-death, eat some doughnuts or fruit to recover.

I've found the initial game overwhelming, and the control/graphics/audio/gameplay frustrating. I stopped playing. Searching the INI I found some cheats I can use to stop the frustration. Does it get better further in, Jonas? I love the concepts, and not the game so far, but the good news is that they're making a new game for 2009. White Gold: War in Paradise looks much better, it has the same concepts, and they should have learned a ton from Boiling Point.