Selling Items?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Bokaj
Mole Person

Selling Items?

Post by Bokaj »

I've just started playing TNM and I'm wondering if there is anywhere to sell off unwanted items for credits? I realise this wasn't in the original Deus Ex, but I thought I'd ask in case you have included it in TNM. I don't even know if such a thing is possible in the Deus Ex engine.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Selling Items?

Post by Jaedar »

There is no such thing in the game.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Pretend you cant swim, dump the desired weapon into the waterway, and cheat to get the equivalent of 80% original cost
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Selling items would lead to massive imbalance in credit gain, since every enemy has 1 or two weapons, and each weapon is worth atleast 500 credits (400 at 80% return), meaning you could buy anything in the game with the weapons you find in the first level.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Ah but wouldn't the Vendors claim the weapons are low quality?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
CommanderCain
Thug

Post by CommanderCain »

Xesum wrote:Ah but wouldn't the Vendors claim the weapons are low quality?
That the way a game works.
Or you go Metal Gear Soild way
"You mean this rag tag army as DNA tagged guns so only they can fire them???"
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

I always thought selling excess stuff from the inventory would have been a great addition to Deus Ex, and TNM... maybe someone will create a MOD for it... !? Or if my programming course goes well.. maybe I will?! :-k
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Selling stuff is such an RPG stereotype though, how many shops in real life will buy your random junk? Worse, it encourages filling your inventory with rubbish and walking back and forth between your mission area and the store to sell it (unlike Diablo, there is no Town Portal spell in Deus Ex). Finally, TNM's economy is already a little off centre, since some players struggle to make enough money to sustain their multitool and lockpick usage while other players end the game with a surplus of 10,000 credits they have no use for - letting players sell things would unbalance it even further.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote:Selling stuff is such an RPG stereotype though, how many shops in real life will buy your random junk? Worse, it encourages filling your inventory with rubbish and walking back and forth between your mission area and the store to sell it (unlike Diablo, there is no Town Portal spell in Deus Ex). Finally, TNM's economy is already a little off centre, since some players struggle to make enough money to sustain their multitool and lockpick usage while other players end the game with a surplus of 10,000 credits they have no use for - letting players sell things would unbalance it even further.
It depends... Smuggler is exactly the kind of guy that would buy your random junk...
However, my guess is that he wouldn't be interested in buying 10 or 20 used and probably badly maintained NSF assault rifles, and that JC isn't allowed to sell UNATCO arms.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

What we need is not just the ability to buy and sell weapons, but also a weapon degradation system as in System Shock 2 :shock: (I really need to figure out how to do this)
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:What we need is not just the ability to buy and sell weapons, but also a weapon degradation system as in System Shock 2 :shock: (I really need to figure out how to do this)
But most weapons don't degrade in three days...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:What we need is not just the ability to buy and sell weapons, but also a weapon degradation system as in System Shock 2 :shock: (I really need to figure out how to do this)
Yay! The pistol I've spent the entire fucking game sticking mods on...has now broken.

I don't think it's a terribly good idea, to be honest.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

DDL wrote:
Yay! The pistol I've spent the entire fucking game sticking mods on...has now broken.

I don't think it's a terribly good idea, to be honest.
I'll agree with ya there... that would piss me off... and I also agree with Jonas's point... it could really get carried away and change Deus Ex. When I mentioned before about selling items I was thinking of Smuggler and how I could use a couple of extra bucks and would have sold my knife and handgun since they are so replaceable.. just so I could get a couple of extra bucks right away and buy more of Smuggler's stuff at one go...like a one shot deal... what can a I say I like to shop in bulk...

I wouldn't want it to get crazy though... since I know myself I'd get too carried away collecting stuff instead of tossing it... and I would spend more time selling stuff then focusing on the missions... :-s
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
DDL

Post by DDL »

"LFG 2 FARM MJ12 @ 02_NYC_UNDERGROUND, PM ME! MUST HAEV ALLAUGS"

*shudders*
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Lol yeah that seems like a bad idea.