Selling Items?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Selling Items?

Post by justanotherfan »

I think it doesn't match the original game, and it doesn't fit well with the gameplay mechanics.

That said, I think it would be pretty cool. Maybe someone is looking to buy rare swords. Bring the pawnshop the stuff you find, and he'll say "that crap is everywhere. Don't waste my time. Here's no money. Leave the junk if you want to". Bring the daikatana, the DTS, or flamesword, and get some credits back. Sort of like a weapon locker, where you pay a lot to get weapons back.

TNM is done though, aside from fixing things. Won't happen. Neat idea though.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Like selling off uniques only? That could potentially would have worked.

Raven: "The DaiKatana? Oh well, hand it over to Sam there... so he can give it a testrun..."
unlike Diablo, there is no Town Portal spell in Deus Ex
"Hotlink (to keep in forum style) to Raving"? ;)
Yay! The pistol I've spent the entire fucking game sticking mods on...has now broken.
I am pretty sure that m3rc1l3ss means that repair tools can also be found to fix it up again, just like SS2. So state=10 is "normal", state=9 would get a penalty to damage of 1, state=8 further gives a 5% acc reduction etc. etc., unless you fix it up again...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote: I am pretty sure that m3rc1l3ss means that repair tools can also be found to fix it up again, just like SS2. So state=10 is "normal", state=9 would get a penalty to damage of 1, state=8 further gives a 5% acc reduction etc. etc., unless you fix it up again...
Those sound like pretty severe stat penalties imo... And really repair wouldn't work well in Deus Ex... it would just be pointless.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Just like they were in Diablo2, SS2 and similar games ;).
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I wouldn't want weapon damage. Deus Ex happens over a specific number of hours, not weeks. Personally, I think RPGs get too bogged down in annoying details like that; it's like the people who keep calling for cars in GTA to "run out of gas", because what you want to do in your own virtual world is pump gasoline.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

justanotherfan wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't want weapon damage. Deus Ex happens over a specific number of hours, not weeks. Personally, I think RPGs get too bogged down in annoying details like that; it's like the people who keep calling for cars in GTA to "run out of gas", because what you want to do in your own virtual world is pump gasoline.
I would actually like that.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's just a question of what aesthetics you want to achieve in your game. GTA has elements of simulationism and gamism (which has nothing to with racism, no) as well as an annoying amount of narrativism, and when people call for cars to run out of gas, it's because they prefer simulation over game, which is a perfectly valid approach to game design.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Let's be honest, realistic car damage should be a higher priority for simulation-crazies, surely?

Though thank god it's not, or I'd never be able to get further than ten feet without totalling the car.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thankfully Rockstar put gamism over simulationism :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, no gas for my GTA-cars.

And IMO GTA IV is a good example why added realism isn't necessarily better. GTA VC's carhandling is much better, and seeing the time you spend driving cars.
Yup; GTA III, VC and (although less already) SA interested me after the plot, having fun, GTA IV I just threw away immediately. And I already spended far less time between missions goofing around than the previous 3. :/
Deus Ex happens over a specific number of hours, not weeks.
SS2 covers even LESS time... but got it.
Does everyone here thinks DX targeting sucks too (having to wait for the crosshair to dimish), because it's far too complex and stuff and rather want a static crosshair? Let's throw universal ammo in while we're at it...
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well SS2 did let you carry multiple instances of a single weapon, whereas DX does not. This greatly helps with any game involving weapon degradation, because you can carry spares.

It works for SS2 because there AREN'T many weapons, so finding a spare is a great thing.

In DX, everyone and his fucking uncle carries an assault gun from about mission 4 onward, and the rest all have pistols and shotguns. You'd constantly be having to ditch them from your inventory, and it would get annoying.

(incidentally, this is exactly what you have to do in Stalker -pick up weapon, unload weapon to scavenge the ammo, drop weapon- and they added special functions just to make this somewhat less onerous..and it's still annoying)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I certainly wouldn't mind a mod that made Deus Ex more like an FPS, with more fluid movement, 100% accuracy, and a higher rate of fire on the pistol. Mostly because it'd be an interesting new way to experience the game. But I definitely don't think that's the way the game should have worked originally :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:I certainly wouldn't mind a mod that made Deus Ex more like an FPS, with more fluid movement, 100% accuracy, and a higher rate of fire on the pistol. Mostly because it'd be an interesting new way to experience the game. But I definitely don't think that's the way the game should have worked originally :)
I believe there is a game just like that... Its called war something... Shadow war? Invisible struggle? Something like that anyways.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes, and I thought that part of Invisible War worked great.

However, it is not "just like" Deus Ex with the change I've described.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Invisible War still knocks the shit out of snowblind though. Snowblind is about as pure an "FPS + Augs" game can get (or at least, pre-crysis, I guess?), as it literally is a straightup largely corridor-based shooter...with augs. At least IW let you talk to people...