Upgrading Light aug.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Zodiac
Thug

Upgrading Light aug.

Post by Zodiac »

I appreciate that it can be made unlimited, but could it be made so that the light can reach farther or cover a greater area? I mean, why use a canister on that if you can use it on something like Power Recirculator, which decreases BE use on every aug you have, or on Vision Enhancement, which gives you a way to see in darkness without alerting enemies?

and then I'm probably going to get told that I should just upgrade those augs instead. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Just throwing it out there...eheh...?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Upgrading Light aug.

Post by Jonas »

Zodiac wrote:I mean, why use a canister on that if you can use it on something like Power Recirculator, which decreases BE use on every aug you have, or on Vision Enhancement, which gives you a way to see in darkness without alerting enemies?
Because using no energy is psychologically infinitely better than using very very little energy, and because the vision enhancement aug doesn't let you see in darkness, it just increases the contrast and adds a green overlay, making it all around completely useless until you upgrade it enough that you can see through walls with it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote: Because using no energy is psychologically infinitely better than using very very little energy
Yes. Before I had the upgrade I used my light as little as possible, turning it on and off all the times, to save like 1 or 2 %. If you do not have such problems, then upgrade something else :)
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Yeah, it is really nice to upgrade it. And just leave it on forever.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote: Because using no energy is psychologically infinitely better than using very very little energy
And mathematically, is also infinitely better. ;) /pedant
Jonas wrote:because the vision enhancement aug doesn't let you see in darkness, it just increases the contrast and adds a green overlay, making it all around completely useless until you upgrade it enough that you can see through walls with it.
Technically it IS supposed to be low-light amplification, not actual 'see in total darkness' magic vision. And actually, as far as "low light" amplification goes, the STY_Modulated + green effect is actually quite good (try it in somewhere dim but not actually totally black)

But for gameplay purposes, yeah: it's shit.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Makes you wonder why they don't give you proper infrared like you can find in any consumer camcorder which actually lights things up properly, even in total darkness. I guess the answer is: Can't be done properly in Unreal.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Jonas wrote:I guess the answer is: Can't be done properly in Unreal.
Shouldn't rendering in a Wireframe-esque way give you the same result? I guess with some modification - i.e. limiting the depth of rendering, and presenting all textures as a blank red space - it could be done. But I don't really know if it wil let you see through walls, but that's because I lack the programming experience.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well, you could make everything unlit, or spawn lights and light everything up while tinting the screen to hide the fact that you've just lit everything up, but both of those would change the player's visibility too. And look butt-ugly.

I guess you could somehow overdraw the entire screen render again at a higher brightness and contrast, somehow (I believe the ENBseries renderers do something similar for bloom and the like), but it'd be messy and probably fairly horrible anyway. And might require new renderers, which is never something you want to do.

It's tricky, basically.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Considering the darkness of TNM I am happy with the aug upgrade, since I tend to keep my light on 24/7 from then onwards. First augupgrade always goes into the light.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Zodiac wrote:could it be made so that the light can reach farther or cover a greater area?
Neat idea. I'm not sure if TNM would bother now. In fact I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, but it would be cool to be able to either upgrade it for no energy or upgrade it for brightness/beam. If anyone is modding TNM, maybe they'll consider it.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Zodiac wrote:could it be made so that the light can reach farther or cover a greater area?
Shifter has this, though I forget how Shifter's upgradeable light aug interacts with TNM's.(ie: which overwrites, which)... Also Shifter's Light aug has 4 levels so you're 'wasting' even 2 more upgrades on the light aug.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

Is it ever explained what the light aug looks like to other people when being used?
Attachments
8ce1a678b728bcca.jpg
8ce1a678b728bcca.jpg (2.27 KiB) Viewed 10738 times
My name is not Jeff.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

JizzyJeff wrote:Is it ever explained what the light aug looks like to other people when being used?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWvGRTdA ... ted&fmt=18
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

that was pretty cool ! but nah , it definitely wouldnt look like that ( well I think that ) theres nothing special about the light aug really , try switching it on while in front of a mirror , nout special appears/ happens
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

heliosentity101 wrote:that was pretty cool ! but nah , it definitely wouldnt look like that ( well I think that ) theres nothing special about the light aug really , try switching it on while in front of a mirror , nout special appears/ happens
Man, read the in-game descriptions, it makes your eyes emit photons (light), how else would it look? The fact nothing happens when you look into a mirror is just a developer oversight (just like how if you point the light aug at a mirror sideways, the light won't shine somewhere else)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum