Warren Spector on Steam

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Warren Spector on Steam

Post by Moonbo »

Trestkon mentioned that OTP's next project might be on the souce engine...looks like great minds think alike :) . Warren Spector's new game is going to be based on the Source Engine and be distributed by Steam... any reactions?

"We are currently working with Valve on a new game using the Source Engine to be delivered via Steam, and are looking for top talent from within the industry to help us out."

www.halflife2.net

http://www.junctionpoint.com/jobs.htm

-GRF

EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I wanted to play the demo of HL2, and I wanted to play Codename:Gordon, so I needed steam.
I really dislike the 'feature' that allows you only to start games from the steam console. Even worse, steam starts with windows. I hate programs that start with windows.

Did I mention the sucky GUI?

Though I do understand a system like that is needed to prevent illegal copies. I just think Steam needs some serious improvement.

That said, Steam would not prevent me from buying the game if I like the concept.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

EER wrote:I wanted to play the demo of HL2, and I wanted to play Codename:Gordon, so I needed steam.
unfortunatly true :(
I really dislike the 'feature' that allows you only to start games from the steam console.
my word... total suckage
Even worse, steam starts with windows. I hate programs that start with windows.
that though you can deactivate and i have it deactivated... and i really need it as all my games are on an external usb hd not connected to my laptop on boot time ;)
Did I mention the sucky GUI?
please mention it more... it really sux. the only good thing is that the new version finally sorts by installed/not installed.
Though I do understand a system like that is needed to prevent illegal copies.
which it totally fails at. i know more people playing with cracked hl2 version than with legal ones. that entire shit you can smoke in a crack pipe.
I just think Steam needs some serious improvement.
will never happen. that warren chose source/steam for his new game i'll never forgive him.

;)
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
NiroZ, the same
Thug

Post by NiroZ, the same »

steam is a great step in the right direction, but the fact that the start offline fuction only works half the time means it sucks balls.

you can't blame warren spencer for chosing the HL2 engine and selling it over steam. the benefits are obvious.

1. assured way to sell the product, is alot cheaper than selling it boxed.
2. more secure ( not everybody can dload 3gb+ at their leasure over P2P).
3. HL2 offers great graphics, and warren has also allways had a soft spot for shadows, and the physics system is a great bonus.
5. no need to find a publisher
?6. easily intergrated multiplayer?
currently hiding in a cardboard box.
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

NiroZ, the same wrote: 2. more secure ( not everybody can dload 3gb+ at their leasure over P2P).
*gasps*
They can't?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Steam is a good idea. OTP is planning to use something similar for our next project. Not to prevent illegal distribution, but because it's the only way we'll ever get our products properly distributed without the backing of some serious venture capitalism (which won't happen).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

NiroZ, the same wrote:1. assured way to sell the product, is alot cheaper than selling it boxed.
assured for the seller but not for the buyer. the risk is at the buyer and that's crazy
2. more secure ( not everybody can dload 3gb+ at their leasure over P2P).
majority of people still do not have broadband. exactly this downloading is one of the major problems of the common people just wanting to play a game. even i with my fast line had to wait nearly an entire day as steam content servers are permanently overloaded!!! and may i throw in here the validation-mayhem we had? waiting days for getting your copy validated as the validation servers are all overloaded and down simply shows the system is immature and unusable.
3. HL2 offers great graphics, and warren has also allways had a soft spot for shadows, and the physics system is a great bonus.
graphics are mediocre. we have fixed lighting (radiosity) and nearly no dynamic lights. shadows are crappy blurred shadow maps (no, the shadow maps itself are a good thing but the implementation in hl2 is crappy). furthermore only ONE shadow direction for the entire map (which looks 90% of time out of place and wrong). even a shadow-blub would have been better :roll:. overall it looks unfinished, crappy. i don't like the graphics at all. and the physics system itself is also a mediocre implementation of havok. max payne 2 had a much better implementation of havok and is older. also trespasser (very old) had comparable physics which had been better integrated into the game than hl2 did.
5. no need to find a publisher
wrong. the publisher is valve/steam. just because the publisher is 'virtual' doesn't mean there is none.
?6. easily intergrated multiplayer?
you make me laugh don't you? steam is laggy and unreliable. compared to other games i have double the ping in steam and servers generally lag like hell. furthermore anti-cheat is a joke. like i said i see more people using speed-h4x or cracked hl2 versions than otherwise.

i don't know how you can like such a system, really not. WON outmuscled steam in any direction, hands down. i know i'm now hated for this but i simply don't accept bad systems simply because you have no other choice :evil:
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You sound a little condescending and categoric, Dragon. No, you're not hated for not liking Steam, but it sounds more like you hate us for liking it. Sure, the system may have some problems, but I've never had any real issues with it apart from the Friends servers being permanently down. I agree it's very bad if the play offline function doesn't work all the time, but as a distribution system, Steam works.

I really like the fact that the game fetches updates automatically and tells me about new releases. From the point of view of an independant developer, a system like Steam is the way to get your game out there when none of the shops will put it on their shelves.

And what's with your uncompromising critique of the Source engine? I don't know if it looked different to you, but to me - being the owner of a mediocre computer, not old but not state of the art either - Half-Life 2 looked excellent, it looked more realistic than Doom 3 and the physics were better than any implementation of Havok I'd ever seen before. And that is a comparison to Invisible War, Thief 3, and Max Payne 2 among others. Max Payne 2 had good physics, but I don't see how they were any better than that of Half-Life 2.

Sure, HL2 doesn't have very detailed shadows, but that's not the point. Source was designed to show some really pretty light. If you want to convert DX to a new engine, you're probably better off choosing Unreal 2, but Source works perfectly for daylight. And as for dynamic lighting... have you played The Lost Coast yet?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jonas wrote:No, you're not hated for not liking Steam, but it sounds more like you hate us for liking it.
which is not true. i don't hate people for liking steam, i feel more sorry for them, that's all ;)
I really like the fact that the game fetches updates automatically and tells me about new releases.
it never told me about new releases and downloaded more crap behind my back than usefull things. updating is ok but somebody else stated it once well: version conflicts. with steam you have no idea what version your game runs. now try matching people up in lans or other places where people don't have net access or do not allow automatic updates. i know a lot of people having bad times trying to run source games on lans through steam. furthermore i play mostly single player and only a few selected multiplayer gems. now to play single player beeing blocked anytime by the steam system is not something i like at all.
From the point of view of an independant developer, a system like Steam is the way to get your game out there when none of the shops will put it on their shelves.
that's true, but steam is not the only way to do this. i would never buy something off steam as i have not the slightest control of what gets on my machine. with downloads or cds i can examine that stuff before i run it through. i know i'm paranoic in such things but i do not trust steam one bit as i do not trust windows one bit.
being the owner of a mediocre computer, not old but not state of the art either - Half-Life 2 looked excellent, it looked more realistic than Doom 3 and the physics were better than any implementation of Havok I'd ever seen before.
i have also such a system, a laptop to be correct. the reason hl2 looks probably graphically better than doom3 is simply that hl2 uses pre-rendered radiosity, like quake does (who wonders, hl2 is modified quake code) and d3 uses full real time lighting. those are two different lighting schemes. radiosity always looks smoother but you have then restricted lighting, especially it's no more dynamic. real-time lighting gives more realistic (but harder) lighting and shadows. it's common knowledge in ray-tracing that radiosity gives soft images but ray-tracing gives correct shadows. what simply annoyed me the most on source is the crappy and inconsistent shadowing. it really destroys anything good on this engine. they should have better left it off at all instead of doing a half-baken version. but that conforms with the entire half-baked look of the engine. i do not say d3 is better or worse, as they both have different focus points and different aims (outdoor / indoor) and would perform bad in the opposite scenario. concerning physics i said what is to be said there: it feels artificial and out-of-place.
And that is a comparison to Invisible War, Thief 3, and Max Payne 2 among others. Max Payne 2 had good physics, but I don't see how they were any better than that of Half-Life 2.
IW has bad physics, hands down, and i never said it is better than hl2. people feel like rubber-dolls than people and in general physics have the feel of beeing half-done.
thief3 i can not compare, i never got the chance to play it
if mp2 has better physics than hl2 i guess in that case seems to be matter of taste. mp2 felt good to me and credible, hl2 felt somewhat artificial and 'squeezed-in' instead of beeing part of the gameplay (except ravenholm, which has though only been a testing playground for the grav-gun... boring). i still prefer the physics of trespasser, although beeing not that sophisticated like havok it had already nice rigid-body physics in times computers had not yet the processing power havok sucks up for the same today. i guess i'm an old-schooler in that sense but simply because it's new doesn't mean it's necessary feels better. maybe we leave it then to 'matter of taste' as except sugestive points there are no technical ones you can compare with.
Source was designed to show some really pretty light.
there is nothing new with that lighting. it's quake-style lighting mixed with projected shadow maps. i see really nothing special or pretty there. ok, yes, we have normal-maps and specular-maps but that's something you find today in all graphic-oriented games and had been already around.
If you want to convert DX to a new engine, you're probably better off choosing Unreal 2, but Source works perfectly for daylight. And as for dynamic lighting... have you played The Lost Coast yet?
source only works for daylight as indoors the shadows are totally off. concerning lost coast i can not judge as i did not play it.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Speaking as a graphically minded person, I very much prefer HL2 graphics over Doom3. Dynamic lights just don't do it for me, they are too hard and very ugly. It's very rare to get hard shadows on a surface like that in reallife, light bounces like crazy.

For example in the Quake4 demo you start out on a battle field (outside) and there is a huge chunk of metal to the left. This metal part causes a black shadow on the ground, it's so black you have to use your flashlight to see underneath the metal part. Since this is all outside the sun light would bounce off the building to the right and the ground so it would light that area up.

Ok so the HL2 shadows aren't fantastic but in my opinion they are still a million times better than the hard dynamic shadows of Doom3/Quake4 and I think HL2 is closer to realism.

As for Steam I've never had any problems with it, not to say it's not flawed but all systems will need improvment.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I don't really care about game graphics, gameplay rules (up to a certain point where there is pong).

Luckily I was able to stop Steam from starting with windows (thx Dragon for the tip, I never bothered to look ;))

I also agree with Jonas, Steam is an excellent distribution system, but (!) it just plain sucks as a program, why is it downloading automatic updates, if I wanted automatic updates, I would write a batch file that would check every week for updates, it's MY bandwidth, so I want to know what the hell the stupid program is doing with it, preferrably, it should do NOTHING with it unless I play online.

Really, I can get very wound up about such things ;)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

You can turn automatic updates off in the properties of the game.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

A game actually has properties? :shock:

<rambling mode>
Seriously, WTF! WHY am I forced to use this mediocre (at best!) program to START games, I mean WHAT is wrong with making an shortcut on my desktop that I can run without going through seemingly ENDLESS POINTLESS screens of blah, commercials and more blah, before I can just _START_ the game already!

Luckily, I don't like halflife 2 anyway, so I don't have to use it :)
</rambling mode>

sorry about that, I'm just very easily annoyed by badly designed programs.
*mocks steam some more

About the source engine (hl2 uses the engine?), I think the graphics it produces are pretty swell, especially the facial animations. Also it does a pretty good job in rendering big levels without too much lag.

Comparing it to Doom 3 is not really possible, since both game engines are designed with totally different environments in mind. I really like the claustrophobic atmosphere in Doom 3, while I enjoy looking around in HL2.

So yes, the engine is nice, and I would understand it if mr Spector decides to use it for Deus Ex 3 .. ehh .. his new game ;)

Steam totally sucks though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:Comparing it to Doom 3 is not really possible, since both game engines are designed with totally different environments in mind.
Sure it is. Both of them are first person shooters. Personally I prefer the nicely varying levels of Half-Life 2 (city, cliffs, sinister complex, alien headquarters) over the endless labs and corridors of Doom 3. Granted, the Hell levels were cool.

Actually I'm just being annoying, I haven't played Doom 3 enough to make a proper comparison, but I sure as Hell do think you can compare the two. All you gotta do is look at:

1) How well does Doom 3 do interiors?
2) How well does Half-Life 2 do interiors?
3) How well does Doom 3 do exteriors?
4) How well does Half-Life 2 do exteriors?

Then you know. Half-Life 2 has a few rather nice interiors, namely the Citadel at the end and Nova Prospect about half-way through. As far as I know, Doom 3 has one very very brief outdoor section which is difficult to make out because you're rushing through it so as to avoid choking to death on the surface of Mars. And then Phas said something clever about the shadows which I shall choose to respect because Phas is generally right.

Lastly, I bet Unreal 3 will kick both of the asses of the Doom 3 and the Source engines once it's released. But that shouldn't come as a surprise, considering it'll be like 1-2 years younger than Source (which in turn is half a year younger than Doom 3). Generally, I will put my money on Unreal engines over any competitors though, because

a) They're created with user accessibility in mind.
b) They're created with versatility in mind.
c) They're created with performance in mind (granted: As are most other engines, but still...)
d) SUBTRACTION!! W00T!!!

</silliness>
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

@jonas:
you can not really compare the two as they use different technics. d3 is better at interior and not good at exterior, hl2 is good at exterior but bad at interoir. why? lighting in hl2 is created to be statically radiosity lighting with pseudo-shadow-maps which are crappy. the reason is simply that shadow-maps use projected textures to do the shadowing and their weakness is pixelation. that is very well visible in hl2 where shadows are horribly pixelated and cast correctly on terrain but wrong on non-terrain. furthermore you have only one light direction which doesn't look well if you have a light to your left and your shadow casts to your left! shadow-volumes produce non-pixelated but shapr shadows. furthermore shadow-maps are not suited for self-shadowing which shadow-volumes can do without much trouble. shadow-volumes which are accurate though can be extended to be soft by using penumbra-wedges. shadow-maps though can not be de-pixelated as you would need incredible huge shadow-maps for large lights which is no problem for shadow-volumes.

hence in the end it's a matter of taste. there has been a nice txt of carmack showing the pro/cons of those shadowing/lighting algorithms and i do also prefer the shadow-volumes as they are expandable to support soft-shadows, which then are self-shadowing and pixel-accurate beeing a big plus over the shadow-maps, which though are in certain situations a bit cheaper.

hence you can not directly compare the engines as they are made for different setups.