Just called to say I love you

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Morti
UNATCO

Just called to say I love you

Post by Morti »

I cannot remember any instance since Duke Nukem 3D when I've liked a game so much that I've started posting on their forums. Even in the DN3D days I was much younger and more prone to taking part in all the forum business and I had a bunch of "IRL" friends who did the same. So I guess this can pretty much count as the first time ever when I've started posting on forums solely because a game is great.

So thanks. I might whack together a review of sorts one day and wax lyrical about the specifics of why it's great but I don't write for any websites and my blog isn't really video games based so I'm not sure where I'd put it.

One thing I will say though is that I would like to buy a beer for every musician who worked on the project as well as the guy who coded the Ogg stuff to make it possible. I'm a musician myself and a big fan of instrumentals and video game music and this is some of the best I've heard, particularly the guitar bits in the main menu theme and Sol's bar.

I too originally thought "it's forum fanfic, it might well suck" but after reading one of the early reviews I got pretty excited about giving it a go. I loved Deus Ex but didn't have the patience to go through the (rather dull, at this point) early missions again so the chance to play this was much appreciated. I've avoided Invisible War so far but obtained it because, although I've heard it's not as good as the original, I just wanted more Deus Ex. I haven't even installed it yet because TNM has more than satisfied my desire for DX goodness.

Well done, seems to me like you've taken Deus Ex gameplay and improved upon it, which is damn hard for one of the best games of all time. The last time I was this impressed was when I noticed Valve was somehow making Half-Life gameplay better with each episode release and have since been an avid follower and purchaser of anything Valve put out. Keep going, develop new stuff, and I'm sure I'll be a devoted follower of Off Topic Productions in exactly the same way.

You could easily be the next Valve, you're that good.

Kudos.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Just called to say I love you

Post by Trestkon »

Glad you enjoyed the mod, Morti! Your flattery is most appreciated, and has rather made my morning :-)

I'll have to poke some of the musicians (and Jim, the ogg programmer) over this way so they can receive their well deserved ego inflation. They really worked their asses off to get all the music finished and sounding fantastic and it's always nice to know it's being appreciated.

Keep your eyes out for the official sound track in the next week or two!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Morti wrote:I might whack together a review of sorts one day and wax lyrical about the specifics of why it's great but I don't write for any websites and my blog isn't really video games based so I'm not sure where I'd put it.
I suggest ModDB :)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless-mod/reviews
We enjoy collecting reviews there.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

Trestkon wrote:Keep your eyes out for the official sound track in the next week or two!
I shall...
Jonas wrote:I suggest ModDB :)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless-mod/reviews
We enjoy collecting reviews there.
...and I might. Probably have to wait until the 1.0.3 patch is out and I've been able to finish the game though. ;)

Thanks.
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

That was a pretty cool post Morti, I'm sure the other guys will be happy to read your impressions. I sure am.

About the OST, it sounds like the tale of Peter and the Wolf, but it's actually AMAZING ! Just a little more and it will be done.
There's so much talent in there, I really feel grateful to be in a CD with those cool guys.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I’m incredibly excited about the OST. The album art should be finished up this weekend!

Combine that with the TNM poster tek is doing and TNM finally has some awesome merch :D
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, thanks for the atmospheric music guys What's with music and the way it can change our moods?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

It's the backwards messaging.
My name is not Jeff.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

LeoBad wrote:About the OST, it sounds like the tale of Peter and the Wolf, but it's actually AMAZING ! Just a little more and it will be done.
There's so much talent in there, I really feel grateful to be in a CD with those cool guys.
I so cannot wait for this. :D The music is so damn good. Keeps me company on my 45min train rides to uni everyday. ^_^
One of my favorite things about the soundtrack is that you keep using the main theme music in many of the other tracks, which is truly epic!
Trestkon wrote:I’m incredibly excited about the OST. The album art should be finished up this weekend!

Combine that with the TNM poster tek is doing and TNM finally has some awesome merch :D
Exactly why I wanted to make the poster. TNM deserves more merch!

And just taking an inspirational hint from Valve's merch... I'd so slap a WorldCorp bumper sticker on my car (when I have my own car that is... -_-') just for the fun of it. XD he he he
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I'd buy Phas temporary face tattoos.
My name is not Jeff.
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Thanks Morti, my ego is now suitably inflated ;)
SF Sounds for your listening please
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Forgot to add - all hail the ogg-meister!! So much easier than been limited to Tracker software as previous!
SF Sounds for your listening please