Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey Azure, it's been a while. How are things?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Azure
Mole Person

Post by Azure »

Good, little busy on top of various projects trying to learn some modding skills. Have a loooooooooooooong way to go. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Awesome, what are you learning to mod?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Azure
Mole Person

Post by Azure »

Starting with Neverwinter Nights. Seems fairly straight forward, my pc isn't very high end so it's a case of finding stuff I can run.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh nice! I never liked NWN's official campaign, but its toolset is really impressive and user friendly, and people have made some incredible things with it. I actually took some time off from TNM once to make a little module for it myself, turned out pretty good.

The best thing about modding NWN is the scripting and area building is very easy, so you can focus on writing the story and the characters and making a really compelling setting :)

If you need any help, just ask.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
eternalightwithin
NSF

Re: Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Post by eternalightwithin »

OMG... i JUST WATCHED YOUR TRAILER!!!!11one!!

Epic.... just EPIC

Who's voice is that in the trailer. lol Is that a real person's voice or did you have to "Tweak" it? Cause that is one seriously "god" voice
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

eternalightwithin wrote:OMG... i JUST WATCHED YOUR TRAILER!!!!11one!!

Epic.... just EPIC

Who's voice is that in the trailer. lol Is that a real person's voice or did you have to "Tweak" it? Cause that is one seriously "god" voice
It's raw, uncut, 100 percent natural Jeremiah Costello!

Glad you liked the trailer, a lot of work went into it :) Now we just have to hope everyone likes the mod just as much!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Thug

Post by 970261 »

kind of dumb question, but how did u all manage to create the robotic voices? As in, did u use a program?

FYI, i long ago wanted to do a Daedulus voiceover for DX comedy reasons (mod), but never figured out how.

would be really great if u could tell me.
/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、 ゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ
Grub
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Grub »

970261 wrote:kind of dumb question, but how did u all manage to create the robotic voices? As in, did u use a program?

FYI, i long ago wanted to do a Daedulus voiceover for DX comedy reasons (mod), but never figured out how.

Well, for the Daedalus effect, you'll need to create a low version of the voice and a high version of the voice. Mix them together with the original while keeping the same length. Goldwave is good for this.
Then, in Goldwave, go to the mechanize effect and mess with the frequency until it sounds gritty. Or use a preset if that makes you happy.
Copy that gritty mixed voice version, then undo the mechanize effect, take the volume down to about 50-75 percent of the original(whatever makes you happy) and them mix in the gritty robot version. Probably at a lower volume than the unaffected mixed voice version.

That should get you somewhat close to what you're looking for.
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Grub wrote:
970261 wrote:kind of dumb question, but how did u all manage to create the robotic voices? As in, did u use a program?

Well, for the Daedalus effect, you'll need to create a low version of the voice and a high version of the voice. Mix them together with the original while keeping the same length. Goldwave is good for this.
Then, in Goldwave, go to the mechanize effect and mess with the frequency until it sounds gritty. Or use a preset if that makes you happy.
Copy that gritty mixed voice version, then undo the mechanize effect, take the volume down to about 50-75 percent of the original(whatever makes you happy) and them mix in the gritty robot version. Probably at a lower volume than the unaffected mixed voice version.

That should get you somewhat close to what you're looking for.
I thought you had used vocoders and/or ring modulators for this kind of treatment. Though I didn't try it myself so I'm not 100% sure that would yield the correct result.

In case you didn't notice: Grub rocks bigtime!
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Yardbomb's voice is seriously the worst in TNM. There's a whole lot of faked accents in TNM for some reason, but that cajun one takes the cake.
Thug

Post by 970261 »

oh wow. tried GoldWave and its preset (star wars droid) and am trying to get the voice done...

too bad there isn't a preset for the voice eh?

thx btw, am now happy.

P.S.-Voice acting in TNM's really good (only gripe i *probably* have is mic quality but thats EZ to ignore :P )

...and the accents. But hey, it follows DX tradition (anyone here still remember the HORRIBLE Chinese accents?)
/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、 ゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Yardbomb's voice is seriously the worst in TNM. There's a whole lot of faked accents in TNM for some reason, but that cajun one takes the cake.
Don't think there are that many actually. Off the top of my head... Yardbomb, Ricemanu, Breadfan, Raving Nutter, Hammer & Sickle, and Kunio (who was made to deliberately sound phoney as he is basically a parody of a stereotype and the original Kunio was Portuguese). What others are you thinking of?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I know for sure Nineball's accent is faked cause I know the voice actor personally. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ah that's possible.
Jonas Wæver