Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Post by Jonas »

This thread exists for the public discussion of voice acting. Anything you fancy talking about on this topic, do it here. Questions, comments, applications, anything is welcome. First, just to be clear:

How to apply

If you want to contribute your vast acting talent to The Nameless Mod, please send a sample to this address:

voicesubmissions (at) offtopicproductions (dot) com

Three things may then happen.
  1. We will ask you to get a new microphone or send you some tips for reducing noise and ask you to re-record the lines. If we ask you to get a new mike and you don't want to or you can't afford it, then I'm afraid we can't use you for the mod. Not to be a dick, but we need good audio quality.
  2. We will send you a few test lines for different parts and ask you to voice them all so we can see which part you'd fit best. This will happen if your recording quality is sufficient but we can't decide what to use you for yet.
  3. We will send you a set of lines for the first character we want you to voice. You just record the lines as represented by the text and send your recordings back to the voicesubs@ address.
If you don't hear from us, please don't hesitate to send your samples again. We may have lost your lines or maybe something happened to them on the way. To be honest, we have a lot of stuff to take care of on this mod, it's very difficult to mind the voice acting as well, so accidents happen. Way more often than they should.

And if we accept you and tell you we'll use you in the mod but then don't get back to you with some actual lines, we may actually have forgotten about you. Keep bugging us, that'll help us get you some lines faster. I'm really sorry, but that's how it works: We're all amateurs doing this in our free time and we're all busy as hell.

Lastly, it would probably be a good idea to add Gelo, Trestkon, or me to your MSN contacts. If you have MSN of course. It'll speed things up considerably.

Moonbo:
MSN: g_fleisher (at) hotmail (dot) com
E-mail: gfleisher (at) gmail (dot) com

Trestkon:
MSN: trestkon (at) hotmail (dot) com
E-mail: Trestkon (at) offtopicproductions (dot) com

Jonas:
MSN: jwaever (at) planetdeusex (dot) com
E-mail: jonas (at) offtopicproductions (dot) com

Your help is greatly appreciated. Nay, treasured like a precious pearl. NAY! LOVED LIKE A SMALL FURRY KITTEN! Yeah, like that.

On the topic of AI Barks

AI Barks are short one-liners triggered by the game whenever a certain situation occurs. In other words, they are a character's reactions to the actions of the player. Here's a brief description of each type of bark:

AllianceFriendly are triggered when your character has been fighting the player for a while, and now he calms down and decides to give the player another chance.
AllianceHostile are played when the player damages your character enough to make him fight back.
AreaSecure is played when your character has killed the player.
CriticalDamage is played when your character has sustained so much damage that he chooses to run away.
Futz is played either when the player steals an object that belongs to your character, or when he throws something at your character.
Gore is played when your character discovers a dead body.
Idle is played when your character is standing around and the player passes by.
OnFire is played when your character is set on fire.
OutOfAmmo is played when your character runs out of ammunition.
PostAttackSearching is played when the player has run away and your character is looking for him.
PreAttackSearching is played when the player makes a sound or otherwise calls brief attention to his presence.
PreAttackSighting is played when your character sees the player.
SearchGiveUp is played after PreAttackSearching if the player manages to hide fast enough and stay hidden.
Surprise is played when the player suddenly appears before your character or otherwise startles him.
TargetAcquired is played when your character is about to attack the player.
TargetLost is played when the player has run away and your character has failed to find him.
TearGas is played when your character is subjected to tear gas.

Since most of these are combat-oriented, character that start out friendly or neutral towards the player will lack a significant portion of them. There is also the limiting factor of the extra voice acting work to watch out for when writing barks for The Nameless Mod, so most general characters will only have the Alliance change barks along with Idle and Futz barks. Some characters, who can either be hostile or friendly depending on the player's alliances, will have a full set of barks.
Last edited by Jonas on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

Since ive been bugging you like crazy, you can probably guess im here to help

I can be of assistance for things like questions of basic quality/acting, and also maybe allocation for the actors and their various accents or voice types
"It's all good!"
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

I finally got a microphone in my room to use and test out the noise levels.
So, that step is finally done.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

About bloody time too, Vavrek :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

Yes.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Well, I sent in a voice sample a month or so ago and got accepted, but no one's ever gotten back to me :? . I even tried emailing you guys... anyways I'm still available.

-Moonbo

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Moonbo wrote:Well, I sent in a voice sample a month or so ago and got accepted, but no one's ever gotten back to me :? . I even tried emailing you guys... anyways I'm still available.

-Moonbo
Sorry about that. Which email address did you send it from?

Our voice acting department is teetering on the brink of being a shambles. Jonas and I are going to find a solution tomorrow.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Problem solved, Jonas got in contact w/ me 8) .

-Moonbo

MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

The big problem you guys are gonna have is variance. Male British English is pretty much covered with me and Mike, (hes a scot, im english, we can cover up Irish and welsh hopefully), i might be able to sort out a female england english (my gf), so yeah, u guys are at least gonna need american english, male and female, and then all the other accents also required, u get the jist of it
"It's all good!"
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually we got a pretty good coverage of American accents. We even have a German one. The only thing we really need is a Japanese accent - and possibly one or two more females depending on how many accents our current 3 female VA's can cover.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Speaking of voice acting, it looks like "Burden of 80 Proof" is just about finished with theirs....another DX mod that has an update :o .

http://www.planetdeusex.com/burdenof80proof

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

W00ters, I've been looking forward to that! I'm definitely giving it another playthrough when he's done with it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
VOK
Thug

Post by VOK »

So, what accents are needed (for females)? I can probably do a few-if I have something to reference! :D
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Hey VOK,

Do any accent you want. If it's good, we'll use it :-). Send us a voice sample with as many as you can think of.

-Moonbo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
VOK
Thug

Post by VOK »

Alrighty then! :lol:

I'll work on it this weekend. 8)

I lied. :twisted:

Already sent the sampler! :D

How many more characters need voicing anyways?
Voice of Konspiracy...