Combat Forced?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: Combat Forced?

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

damn it guys, you nailed exactly what I was trying to designed, now I'm going to have to come up with something cooler... Nah only joking.

But yeah you guys are getting the picture now.
Exactly, and don't forget that Sim City is an RPG because you can customise your city, and Civilisation is an RPG because you can customise your nation, and tons of racing games are RPGs because you can customise your cars.
Jonas you basically summarized what I was trying to say. But Imagine it team based RPG with citybuilder elements ala Syndicate and you've basically got what I'm trying very hard to develop right now. Only rather than have the player at high level, allow them to play it at low level (ie. as a single character facilitating a role.) and then allowing them to progress to a high command role as they level up in rank.

(Essentially merging RTS and RPG into the same game, in the same way Arma2 combines RTS and FPS together- or Mount and Blade with how it combines RPG,FPS AND RTS in the same game.- only this game isn't an FPS-- cause I'm not a crazy idiot to try something this big as my first commercial game. RTS + RPG should work.)

If it ever works I'm sure you'll be impressed and not think its an illogical game design :D.
RPG game: A game with meaningful choice(usually in the form of stats/skills)
This is pretty close only its missing "Class" which is essentially a global identification of what that particular role does- Though we're seeing class go away, in favor of the Deus Ex style where there is only 1 class. Multiple classes are very useful with RPGs, Singular Classes work only if you're either trying to avoid the RPG elements (Fallout 3 and Oblivion) OR you're focusing on creating a modular Class (Deus Ex) where the class can facilitate more than one role (though the trade offs make it so you can't be good at everything.. Unlike Fallout3 and Oblivion where there's no trade off.)

Deus Ex uses the Augmentation system to say "Pick X or X as you super power" and then you go "Fuck.. both are awesome!... god damn it.." this is great.. Unlike Fallout3 and Oblivion which is basically "Buff... Buff... Buff... Ok I'm 100 on everything now.. lets play the game."

And then you've got Neverwinter Nights which is just insanely complex- because its from a purist RPG background- it never tries to be anything other than a classic RPG- there's so many classes that you really do appreciate the uniqueness of your character more. (I especially love that INT makes you talk more Intelligently or Stupiderer....) Using it as a dump skill is the funniest thing ever and really brings your characters personality out.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uh I think I've lost track of your point, but I will say your game sounds interesting. Good luck :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I know it sounds confusing, I've never been good at explaining game designs.. rather just putting them in, prototyping and pulling a game out of my ass :D though the game usually never gets completed. Lets hope this doesn't die either.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

whoever had the "genius" idea to make the doors on the Gamespy space station kill you when they close must really hate good game play. You take the idea of a "fatal funnel" to a new level. :/

Ever play Battlezone 2 Cyberpunk? You'll see why I ask :P
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Wait, this coming from one of the finest mappers I know? Surely you jest! :P

They're like..four part movers, each triggering the next in sequence. Making them stopwhenencroach/returnwhenencroach would utterly fuck the sequence, and you'd end up with buttons hovering in mid air and stuff.

So crushwhenencroach it is! I guess ignore might also work, but it would look odd.

I think Jonas was planning on making them simply "not close ever again" once opened, but we shall see.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

if you wanna maintain that type of door yes, setting it to never close again is the optimum choice. I did that for a door in another scary map I was working on where two movers came out of the wall to push open a "slab of stone" door then move back, and this would create some... issues if they reclosed. But, for a map like the spacestation, that has combat in it (lots of forced combat btw, so its relevant here :P) having the doors open and close is useful to some people that utilize the doors as choke points, traps, etc.

Could just... remove the mover button. It seems like a lot of effort is put into a simple 128x64x4 door. lol
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I like the sliding stone doors e.g. the Paris catacombs. Are they any harder to create than regular doors?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

no its not that at all, the way my door was setup is its closed, a normal slab sitting in the frame, when you trigger it (via a pull down lever I made) two other movers come out of the frame on the right, they look like long rectangular supports with a smaller "pad" looking piece on the end and it simulates these supports are pushing the concrete slab out of the doorway towards the left, its just a prosthetic addition to the normal "slab door" concept. The setting of the map I was discussing with those doors is "ruins/haunted/traps" so mechanical giant bunker blast doors as seen in the catacombs wouldn't fit the scenario.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks. Not the first time this week i've not read a post correctly.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:whoever had the "genius" idea to make the doors on the Gamespy space station kill you when they close must really hate good game play. You take the idea of a "fatal funnel" to a new level. :/
Please pick your favourite answer out of the following:
  1. Please read the 1.0.3 patch notes.
  2. Has it crossed your mind that talking shit about your team mates' work in public may not be the most honourable behaviour?
  3. Do you realise exactly how much time I've put into TNM? And you think I hate good game play because I made a single poor decision about the behaviour of a mover?
  4. Go fuck yourself, ZeroPresence.
I would probably not pick option 4, personally.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Is it even possible to fuck one's self?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Xesum wrote:Is it even possible to fuck one's self?
Mathematically unlikely.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

gamer0004 wrote:
Mathematically unlikely.
Mathematically? How about physically?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Answer 1: Watch Clerks.
Answer 2: Ever heard of a portal gun?
Answer 3: Don't dwell on it.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:
Mathematically unlikely.
Mathematically? How about physically?
It is possible for some people, who have a genetic malfunction because of which they have both male and female genitals. Problem is that those are underdeveloped in most of the cases. But it might be possible for some to fuck themselves, though it is unlikely.