Just another post to say...

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
DrGloucester
Mole Person

Just another post to say...

Post by DrGloucester »

This game is utterly fantastic.

Having finished my third playthrough, I figured I should come and congratulate the team on a job brilliantly done. Seriously, however proud you guys are of this game, multiply that pride by about 4 billion, then sit back while I contact the Vatican and work on having you all canonized.

I'll stick with what stuck out for me as the best part of The Nameless Mod, and that was the characters. Considering that the setting is a Matrix-like forum in which cults called the Goats and the Llamas battle with blessed sporks and foons, I found most of the main characters strangely believable (I say "most of" because Scara is a fantastically exaggerated supervillain and all the better for it... also, he was yellow). Trestkon's reasons for working for PDX or WorldCorp were both equally plausible, with neither storyline seeming crowbarred in or unlikely, and I actually felt genuine guilt (yes, I am a pansy) at certain points over the WorldCorp arc (talking to Phas springs to mind). Guilt which was usually alleviated the second I returned to base and Scara had me laughing my arse off.

I'd go into more depth, but anything I could say has already been said a hundred times over by people who can put it in a much better way than I can. So I'll just stick with a hearty "thank you" for one of the best gaming experiences I've had all year, and I look forward to anything else you guys will be creating in the future.

-Witty sign-off.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Just another post to say...

Post by chris the cynic »

Welcome to the forums. I assure you that the team will appreciate what you said.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DrGloucester wrote: Having finished my third playthrough, I figured I should come and congratulate the team on a job brilliantly done. Seriously, however proud you guys are of this game, multiply that pride by about 4 billion, then sit back while I contact the Vatican and work on having you all canonized.
I think you are the person who managed to hold back the praise for longest, yet still post it so far.
Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay.
Have you seen the secret ending though? :P Now that, is brilliant.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DrGloucester
Mole Person

Post by DrGloucester »

chris the cynic wrote:Welcome to the forums. I assure you that the team will appreciate what you said.
Thanks for the welcome. I was hoping they'd be able to find something of value in my borderline-fanatical ramblings. :D
Jaedar wrote: I think you are the person who managed to hold back the praise for longest, yet still post it so far.
Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay.
Have you seen the secret ending though? :P Now that, is brilliant.
You know, I actually haven't. Well, I needed an excuse for a fourth playthrough anyway.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, they like to hear from people who are enjoying it. I've done seven but I've given it a break for a couple of weeks.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DrGloucester wrote:Seriously, however proud you guys are of this game, multiply that pride by about 4 billion, then sit back while I contact the Vatican and work on having you all canonized.
As compliments go, that is one of the better ones we've recieved :mrgreen:

I really appreciate your specific praise, especially considering I can take credit for most of the characters in the mod. I will have to share credit for Scara with Andreus though, as he wrote the first draft of Scara's Day 1 conversations :)

Really glad to hear you're enjoying the game!
bobby 55 wrote:Yeah, they like to hear from people who are enjoying it. I've done seven but I've given it a break for a couple of weeks.
Actually we do like to hear from people who aren't enjoying it either, but only if they're polite about it, and preferably if they're highly specific in their criticism (that goes for praise too though, the more specific the better). It's a little annoying when somebody publically dislikes our game without ever explaining why. We do our best to be open to constructive criticism and we even listen to negative opinions, though it's hard to really do anything useful with those :smile:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I Haven't seen too many negative criticisms from those who've played. Talk about bang for your buck. Can you use that phrase for something free?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I assume people who don't like the mod can't be arsed to sign up here just to say that, but there's been some negativity elsewhere. It's mostly people who don't like the setting and can't look past that, which is fair enough but not very useful. We've had a few more specific critics though, such as on the RPG Codex where somebody got so turned off by the ShadowCode mission (which he perceived to be a System Shock ripoff) that he stopped playing. And then there's Dead-Eye, who just doesn't think TNM lives up to the hype, as it's just more Deus Ex, so to speak.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

More humor , more choice, whole different storyline. Total Conversion indeed!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Dead-Eye, who just doesn't think TNM lives up to the hype, as it's just more Deus Ex, so to speak.
In what universe is that a criticism? 'Cuz it sure as hell ain't this one :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:In what universe is that a criticism? 'Cuz it sure as hell ain't this one :)
I guess he expected it to be more than that. I think he also considers ZODIAC to be a more worthy expansion to Deus Ex, since it takes place in the same setting as well. Can't argue with that, ZODIAC is brilliant!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

TBH, I treid ur mod, n apart form soem dude in teh sewer who was aw3som3 n suprubely vioce acted, teh hole tihng was shit.

Fanfic lol.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

An honest appraisal from an unbiased player. Though you get points deducted for the accent. :P
Accent in post not the game. lol
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The guy in the sewer didn't suffer from whatever anti-spelling affliction you are suffering from right now.

[Added] that was irt:
DDL wrote:TBH, I treid ur mod, n apart form soem dude in teh sewer who was aw3som3 n suprubely vioce acted, teh hole tihng was shit.

Fanfic lol.
DDL

Post by DDL »

To be perfectly frank, I'm eternally grateful to Jonas for letting me get away with a joke about fucking impact factors... :D