Thank You

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Thank You

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:I can't remember laughing too much when I played (what you just finished) that the first time. The last bit of it I mean.
Even if I do say so myself, it's worth it just once to stop playing and listen through all the ShadowCode lines. They get more and more deranged as they go on, and they're some of the most pitch-perfectly delivered lines in the game.
I wasn't talking about not laughing at the lines but not laughing at what happens after solving the puzzle !
I did add *the last bit* in my post.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Yes that bit was hilarious.

And the look on his face just blew me away. The good thing about it was that it was something totally unexpected as far as the gameplay itself in that portion as well. I was actually laughing out loud at 1AM in front of my comp during that part waking the wife up. The genius of it though was that although it was funny, it was also exhilarating running around in a totally panicked state. I was rather proud of myself that I got through the whole thing as quickly as I did, hence the satisfaction in completing it.

And to add to the humor, it was very reminiscent of another protagonist from another game made sometime around the end of the 90's.

Another part that had me in stitches was the droid in the downtown area, I think NV Hackers droid? To see what would happen I told him to kill NV.. And he did!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahaha! I don't know why I'm laughing as when I tried that the milbot went ballistic. Well that's sort of funny too . There's a phrase used here a bit , 'For shits and giggles', plenty of the latter in TNM.
bobince
Mole Person

Post by bobince »

TNM couldn't really enumerate your options. First off there were too many, second it would make no sense
This was a problem I had with DX:IW, it would lead me through the possible options by the nose, instead of letting me think I'd thought of a clever way around. ISTR the very first challenge had an NPC in the room in a mechanical and out-of-character way telling me I could use a nade, or a multitool, or sneak through a vent... wow, you're so smart you've worked out all the angles for me, leaving me with a Choose Your Own Adventure game. Why are you still sitting around here when you clearly know everything about the game?

So good for TNM for avoiding that.

I also really appreciated the Raving Nutter situation: TNM sets out a bunch of goodies and rooms which you'd never touch when acting naturally (well unless you're playing in Bastard Trestkon Mode). The gamer instinct, to go through and steal/destroy everything just because it's there, is rightly punished, hopefully encouraging less mechanical minimaxing and more actual role-playing. I want to see more RPGs do stuff like this instead of just taking "you can choose be a good, or a evils" as the limit of role-playing.

OK... so I still smashed all the lockers up with the DTS, which probably I shouldn't have got away with...
sleepy47
Thug

Post by sleepy47 »

Yes, IW was guilty of this. And TNM is a better game overall. By a rather large margin as well.

However I still think IW deserves more credit than it generally gets. I found the game a whole lot of fun in a hokey kind of way and I've played it several times. While there's not quite the same amount of freedom TNM gives you, it does allow you to do do pretty much what you want, and like DE and TNM gives you a good amount of options in the way you want to play your character. (eg; stealth, gung ho, etc). Not that it really matters in the end, but we as gamers get very few FPS/RPG's, which is a shame.

It's actually a more intelligent game than most of the crap that's come out in the last 10 years or so and I often wonder why it gets such a bad rap.

As far as TNM, I'm honestly surprised it hasn't gotten more recognition than it has. At least what I've found browsing the web. I think the premise, and the fact that it's a "mod" using fairly outdated graphics has got something to do with it, but anyone that enjoyed DE really needs to play this because it really is as good, if not better than the original.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Totally agree with the last bit. Any who loves DX should give it a go then make up their minds about it. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

It might have something to do with the fact that it is the mod of a ten year old game, and most websites focus on the new dipshit demographic that think halo is "totally like, the best game ever"
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobince
Mole Person

Post by bobince »

At the moment installation is a bit of a shag too, which has probably stopped a few people. The biggest problem for me (other than finding my old DX CD) was installing the official patch, which doesn't seem to like my version (it prompts to overwrite a bunch of files, and corrupts the game if I allow it to).

What was the story with running TNM against the DX demo? Is there a patched-enough demo? If that could be made to work might a batch installer for DX+HDTP+TNM-1.0.4 be possible, to get TNM to more potential players?
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Fred »

Hi, I finally played TNM and wow that was a lot of fun playing it, hell i need a lot of time to play it to the end and i didnt find all of the eggs even not the half of it. There are so much things I would do another way the next time i may play it haha. Thank you for this mod its really awesome. BSP holes haha.
I thougt I saw somebody. Maybe just a homeless guy.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Fred wrote:Hi, I finally played TNM and wow that was a lot of fun playing it, hell i need a lot of time to play it to the end and i didnt find all of the eggs even not the half of it. There are so much things I would do another way the next time i may play it haha. Thank you for this mod its really awesome. BSP holes haha.
Glad you enjoyed it, and the BSP holes :D
-Life does not snap to the x-axis