All hail the PHAT Rifle

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Delta2501
UNATCO

All hail the PHAT Rifle

Post by Delta2501 »

Did anyone else really like the inclusion of the PHAT rifle. IMO it does a number of things very well:
1. Extremely useful for non-lethal players given that it is the only source of long-range, instant incapacitation. Although it makes non-lethal/silent play significantly easier it still requires a bit of skill and relatively scarse ammo.

2. Unblockable - Enemies with ballistic protection and aggressive defence can be tricky to tackle but as far as I know there aren't any enemies immune to PHAT rays, making it useful for tricky enemies (admittedly there aren't many in TNM but an armour-piercing gun is a useful addition for the future). This is balanced by the fact that it takes a good number of hits to kill.

3. Can be used for sniping - I hear an enemy will not respond until they explode, giving the weapon another use. This is slightly balanced by the lack of a silencer.

On a side-note I was also surprised by the power of the Quad-Launcher's EMP rockets; it was amazing to see a Milbot taken out in one hit. This would seem overpowered were ammo and the weapon itself not harder to find.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: All hail the PHAT Rifle

Post by bobby 55 »

Kills everyone bar moderators as long as the target doesn't see you first. For absolute hilarity, try killing some mini aliens on Game Spy!
Edit: I'd better edit the top bit, ooops.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, I'm glad that somebody likes it. To be honest, utility was never the main point when we designed our weapons - more like awesomeness, hilarity, and originality - but I do think the PHAT rifle is generally underrated, especially considering how powerful the ricebag launcher is, if your aim is good enough to use it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I see what you mean, the Gibinator in particular seems fairly useless apart from the fun of smacking someone with a mini nuclear reactor. The firesword is definitely cooler than it is practical (given that you are paying an inventory space for the fire effect, which isn't always a good thing, making DT preferable). DR's Katana was nice though, if a little outshined by the DT.

The quad-launcher is a lot of fun though once you have the heavy weapon mastery to move and reload easily and fun to tear loose with once in a while (like on the annoying mini-aliens). While I only use the phat rifle as a utility weapon it is still a solid inclusion.

The modded weapons (Alpha's pistol, ZP's Rifle and Kylie's pistol) are all great and cool-looking, to the point where you wouldn't want to use the originals (unless you like the normal rifles secondary fire), but considering you have to go through trouble to get them they can be seen as cool rewards rather than unbalanced.

One of these days someone will have to do a weird weapon playthrough (sporks/foons, Phat rifle, gibinator only) just to embarass some conspirtors by taking them out with such ridiculous weapons. It is a shame we can't take out MJ12 with a PHAT rifle (I hear PHAT rays don't work in DX) and have stoic JC running around with plastic forks.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Somebody needs to do a handy-man playthrough of Deus Ex, where you only use the screwdriver, the hammer, and the wrench ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Somebody needs to do a handy-man playthrough of Deus Ex, where you only use the screwdriver, the hammer, and the wrench ;)
Hahaha! Not even in the service of a challenge or entertainment would I attempt that. lol
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Somebody needs to do a handy-man playthrough of Deus Ex, where you only use the screwdriver, the hammer, and the wrench ;)
I might try this at some point :)
Can I use augs?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't see why not.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:
Can I use augs?

Good luck with those snipers. It would be an interesting challenge though, mmmmmm.
PleegWat
NSF

Post by PleegWat »

Jaedar wrote:
Can I use augs?
Only those a handy-man would take. So microfibral muscle over combat strength, etc.

Hm, that's actually the only one I can think of on the spot.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Emp shield would be handimany, and so would environmental protection.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The speed aug for those difficult to get to repair jobs.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Radar transparency so you can sneak up on malfunctioning security bots to repair them.

Any aug is okay as long as you can come up with a good explanation for why a handyman would need it :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahahaha! The spy drone is out, even if I could think of a good reason, it's useless anyhow.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:Hahahaha! The spy drone is out, even if I could think of a good reason, it's useless anyhow.
Not if it is at level 3. Then you can use it as an impromptue EMP 'nade, although it is still a bit expensive on the bioenergy side.
odio ergo sum