Should I Wait?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
kNeej3rk
Mole Person

Should I Wait?

Post by kNeej3rk »

been on a retro games kick lately, as I have a laptop (nice Vaio, but still not up for intensive games), and at the moment no desktop for current games.

well, I was looking into playing DX again and I found out about the Nameless Mod, so here I am.

I installed it tonight, it seems to work well.. (although, for some reason in the training scenario, the medbot wouldn't let me use the upgrade canister???)

I am downloading the patch 1.03 now, and as I was browsing around I also found out about the New Vision and HDTP mods being nearly finished.
I also saw something about a critical error patch being common to 1.03?
and it seems there are plenty of conflicts occuring also with New Vision mod and HDTP ...
all that stuff working smoothly together on Vista seems to be asking a lot, or is it just me?

so, my basic question is, should I go ahead and dive in now, or wait a few weeks until hopefully the final versions of all these mods--TNM 1.04, full release of New Vision & HDTP--are (knock on wood) released and working together, with less fiddling required on my end??

I AM very excited and anxious to check out TNM, but I would also like the experience to be 'perfect' the first time, as I love DX, and TNM seems like something special..

I have some other new games I can get into in the meantime...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Should I Wait?

Post by Jaedar »

kNeej3rk wrote: so, my basic question is, should I go ahead and dive in now, or wait a few weeks until hopefully the final versions of all these mods--TNM 1.04, full release of New Vision & HDTP--are (knock on wood) released and working together, with less fiddling required on my end??
Well... HDTP and new vision seem to work well together, at least for me. As for waiting for TNM 1.0.4, it might be worth it, but the main problem people have is that it isn't compatible with previous saves, which is not a problem for you. If your lucky One of the devs will swing round and give some more precise info on the release of next patch.

Welcome to the forums.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
kNeej3rk
Mole Person

Post by kNeej3rk »

ic, well I was also wondering on the overall current stability of all these mods together... I have gotten the HDTP mod, and New Vision will be done in the morning (it's night here).

HDTP seems to need some tweaking to work.. but I see there are guides for that.. as long as I can get them all working and expect a stable game, I'll go ahead.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We're pretty much to release 1.0.4, we're just working on one last bug fix. Unfortunately it's the bug that necessitated that patch in the first place: the crash in the critical path. It can be circumvented in a few ways, but it kinda requires you to come back here once you reach it and look up or ask for the solution. I can't say when it'll be out, since none of the fixes we've tried so far have worked.

The only issue with HDTP I know of is that it turns the lab flasks invisible - this goes for Deus Ex as well as TNM. NV has no real issues - a few textures here and there that don't look quite right in the context TNM uses them in, but it's hardly anything that'll break your immersion.

You may want to wait for 1.0.4 to come out, I would be extremely upset if it's not out within a month, but I wouldn't wait for HDTP and NV if I were you. Just use the HDTP R1 and the NV beta build. You'll have to play through TNM twice to experience both storylines anyway ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
kNeej3rk
Mole Person

Post by kNeej3rk »

cheers, thanks for the fast response.

so... this one bug that has caused such a mess:
a. is it guaranteed to happen? if not, what's the likelihood?
b. if it happens, are the 'circumventions' guaranteed to work?
c. any downsides to just playing anyway and using a circumvention?

my tendency is to install NV and HDTP in the morning and give it a go, but I guess I am risking my save files for 1.03 being possibly unusable if 1.04 comes out and I upgrade?

-also, any idea why I couldn't use the upgrade canister in the Training Mode? this was in the unpatched version.. I attempted from both the inventory screen and the medbot... and couldn't figure out how to upgrade the flashlight.. I spent a good bit of time looking everywhere I could think of.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

kNeej3rk wrote:a. is it guaranteed to happen? if not, what's the likelihood?
As far as I know, it's 100% guaranteed to happen. For some reason, neither NVS (the programmer assigned to fix it) nor I can replicate it on our development machines, but there's no mistaking that it crashes on my laptop, every time.
b. if it happens, are the 'circumventions' guaranteed to work?
This is not going to make much sense until you get there, but: once you've completed the command prompt puzzle in DXI, be sure to hit Escape a couple of times before the ellipsis is done animating, until you're completely out of the computer interface. That should prevent the crash.
c. any downsides to just playing anyway and using a circumvention?
Not that I know of.
my tendency is to install NV and HDTP in the morning and give it a go, but I guess I am risking my save files for 1.03 being possibly unusable if 1.04 comes out and I upgrade?
That's the worst case scenario, yes.
-also, any idea why I couldn't use the upgrade canister in the Training Mode? this was in the unpatched version.. I attempted from both the inventory screen and the medbot... and couldn't figure out how to upgrade the flashlight.. I spent a good bit of time looking everywhere I could think of.
Upgrade canisters work the same way in TNM that they worked in Deus Ex: you just select the aug in your augmentation screen and click the Upgrade button. You don't have to use a medbot, that's only necessary if you're using a regular augmentation canister to upgrade an existing aug of the same type with.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
kNeej3rk
Mole Person

Post by kNeej3rk »

Thanks again..

I got 1.03 installed and also New Vision, and the game seems to be running fine from a short test.

however, I think I'm going to skip HDTP.. I tried installing and only ran into issues and errors, and I didn't find any SIMPLE instructions to get past this.

and I don't understand why HDTP has its own .exe ... seems like it's doing the same thing as New Vision, except on different objects in the world, so WHY is NV a simple unzip and copy/paste, while HDTP is using an .exe and a bunch of confusing command line changes etc...

in other words, HDTP just doesn't seem streamlined enough for me at the moment.. and not finding a good README (???) or explanation of what's going on with it is always a HUGE turn-off for me.. why a separate .exe? how to use it with TNM? use the TNM .exe? does it work automatically with TNM? etcetera.

really, some simple 1,2,3,4 instructions are desparately needed, either included in a readme, or on a sticky here at the forums. I don't think I should be digging through forum posts to figure out how to simply install a mod..

I also don't think a graphic upgrade mod like HDTP should have it's own exe
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Well Shifter can be used with any mod (Though it's a bit glitchy with TNM) and it has easy to use HDTP support, all you have to do is move a single file from the HDTP files over to the main texture folder.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

kNeej3rk wrote:in other words, HDTP just doesn't seem streamlined enough for me at the moment.. and not finding a good README (???) or explanation of what's going on with it is always a HUGE turn-off for me.. why a separate .exe? how to use it with TNM? use the TNM .exe? does it work automatically with TNM? etcetera.
It's a seperate .exe because it's not made for TNM, it's made for Deus Ex. Since it uses its own executable, you can run that if you want to play HDTP or use the original Deus Ex .exe if you want to play original Deus Ex, you won't have to move all the files back and undo all your .ini changes.
really, some simple 1,2,3,4 instructions are desparately needed, either included in a readme, or on a sticky here at the forums. I don't think I should be digging through forum posts to figure out how to simply install a mod..
There is a sticky thread about it, it's right over here in the tech support forum: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=1713
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Justsomeguy2
Thug

Post by Justsomeguy2 »

Jaedar wrote:but the main problem people have is that it isn't compatible with previous saves, which is not a problem for you.
Ha I was lucky the patch's worked with my saves :D.