TNM OST!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Zaine
UNATCO

Re: TNM OST!

Post by Zaine »

I'll hopefully get it tonight!
You Will Regret This!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I just got mine. It is lavish. Exquisite. Perfect.

The track info doesn't show up in Windows Media Player yet, but we'll hopefully get that fixed soon. Until then I recommend iTunes, where it all shows up correctly.

I'm listening to it right now. All game soundtracks should have Spanish guitar and a saxophone.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:The track info doesn't show up in Windows Media Player yet
What about Winamp?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I believe it shows up in Winamp (that's what I've heard, I don't use Winamp myself). WMP gets its CD info from some 3rd party company that we have to send a copy of the OST so they can type it in - it's a bit stupid.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:Yeah I believe it shows up in Winamp (that's what I've heard, I don't use Winamp myself). WMP gets its CD info from some 3rd party company that we have to send a copy of the OST so they can type it in - it's a bit stupid.
Winamp should display it, it gets its info from the file summary.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

*mounts CD, runs it with WinAmp*

Yup, it's all there...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

A courier just deliverd mine and I'm currently listening to the TNM theme in glorious surround sound. Fantasmagorically cool!!
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I wonder how we get the album art into iTunes...I should look into that.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Trestkon wrote:I wonder how we get the album art into iTunes...I should look into that.
humm We'd need to have it sold at the iTunes store for that.

I thought we would offer a .mp3 download version too. I guess that was my mistake? Should I correct it?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

LeoBad wrote:
Trestkon wrote:I wonder how we get the album art into iTunes...I should look into that.
humm We'd need to have it sold at the iTunes store for that.

I thought we would offer a .mp3 download version too. I guess that was my mistake? Should I correct it?
Oh, you can't make it freely available? Darn.

And yes, we should offer an .mp3 download. We overlooked it at the time and just haven't had a chance to get around to it, yet.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Trestkon wrote:And yes, we should offer an .mp3 download. We overlooked it at the time and just haven't had a chance to get around to it, yet.
Really, how much different would that be than the OGG versions that are with the mod? As I understand, they are similar algorithms in their approach, so there isn't particularly any difference between the two unless there are quality differences due to the implementations of the algorithms or the tracks were OGG encoded with a rather low bps.

After all, I can load up the OGG files in Winamp (don't know about anything else) and could decode them with the same app. So, what is the "win" in offering MP3 (an essentially similar file structure)?
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

That they aren't the same files/songs? (well, mostly, the ending sequences still are)
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

And mp3's have ID3 tags, which OGG lack. Also, mp3's are generally compressed with some loss of quality (of course), while OGG is (as far as I know) a lossy format.

Personally, I ripped the mp3's off the CDs, added the proper ID3 tags (with Winamp, if that makes a difference) and renamed everything as "# - Title". It's really not that complicated and everyone who wants the mp3's can easily get them, as the soundtrack is free.

By the way, the soundtrack is great. The hostile version of Sol's Bar wakes me up every Thursday.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Made in China wrote:And mp3's have ID3 tags, which OGG lack. Also, mp3's are generally compressed with some loss of quality (of course), while OGG is (as far as I know) a lossy format.
Not quite true. I have surfed many of the .ogg's in AudioSurf because they do have proper tags, and actually some others did too (although I am the expert champion on the theme song still :lol:).
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Really? I thought ID3 tags were mp3 files only. Maybe this is another kind of tagging, though I'm not sure how it would make a difference on modern players.

Also, I've made a mistake in my last post - I meant to say that OGG is lossless rathr than lossy, but now I think about it, and I may have mixed it up with FLAC. Anyway, I'm an mp3 guy, and my audio library consists only of mp3's, because I'm a bit OCD about it.