TNM OST!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: TNM OST!

Post by Jonas »

Yeah oggs can have ID3 tags too, I've personally tagged all of our music files. And ogg is indeed not lossless (FLAC is), but they have really good compression. But oggs require a special codec to play, which doesn't come with Windows, whereas MP3s can be played out of the box, and a lot of portable music players won't play oggs either.

But mostly, the official soundtrack has been remixed with many of the separate files from certain levels combined into seamless tracks and the whole thing has been remastered, in some cases with new and better samples.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

ggrotz wrote:Really, how much different would that be than the OGG versions that are with the mod? As I understand, they are similar algorithms in their approach, so there isn't particularly any difference between the two unless there are quality differences due to the implementations of the algorithms or the tracks were OGG encoded with a rather low bps.

After all, I can load up the OGG files in Winamp (don't know about anything else) and could decode them with the same app. So, what is the "win" in offering MP3 (an essentially similar file structure)?
Jonas wrote:But mostly, the official soundtrack has been remixed with many of the separate files from certain levels combined into seamless tracks and the whole thing has been remastered, in some cases with new and better samples.

Most of the tracks were reworked by their authors, usually re-writing parts to make smooth connections between the different sections of a map. And the sound quality of the Soundtrack as a whole was brought up a notch. Give the OST a chance and see what your personal opinion is. You didn't think we would just grab the files from the TNM folder, make a new playlist and offer that as another download would you?

As a funny tidbit you will notice the Sol's Bar track sounds very different than the in-game version. The game version was drenched in reverb to make it sound as if it was coming from the pub's speakers. The OST version is clean and glossy and will sound as if it was coming from your speakers. :P

..and there are other differences too...which I won't talk about, lest I start ruining the experience.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It sounds magnificent, and that's with my less than the state of the art entertainment system.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

LeoBad wrote:Most of the tracks were reworked by their authors, usually re-writing parts to make smooth connections between the different sections of a map. And the sound quality of the Soundtrack as a whole was brought up a notch.
Thank you for clarifying what this thing indeed is (and I don't know where the Jonas quote came from, I looked over this thread twice). Given that this thread is my introduction to the existence of the TNM OST, there really hasn't been any indication in this thread to this point what it exactly is. Therefore, it's easy to conclude that it is the original music from the TNM mod (i.e. TNM OST). I apologize for that mistaken assumption.

The other question probably came from that assumption, since I see OGG files in the TNM installation. But was more a technical question related to the format quality than that. I know people that are audiophiles enough to not accept anything other than CDA, so the CDA release would make sense, at least to give the choice of how to listen to it.

However, I know there has to be audio quality differences between MP3 and OGG. Other than the obvious benefit of convenience for the MP3 format, I was wondering if there was any particular difference.

(and yes, it's been downloaded. It's just at the back of a long list of things. Anyhow, back to figuring out how to make my Hotel Carone vids to not look like garbage.)
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

ggrotz wrote:...The other question ...was more a technical question related to the format quality than that. I know people that are audiophiles enough to not accept anything other than CDA, so the CDA release would make sense, at least to give the choice of how to listen to it.

However, I know there has to be audio quality differences between MP3 and OGG. Other than the obvious benefit of convenience for the MP3 format, I was wondering if there was any particular difference....
Aha I see what you mean. If I'm not mistaken the .ogg files on the TNM install were encoded at 128kbps, this bit rate is, from my perspective unacceptable in either .ogg nor .mp3 if what you intend to do is enjoy the music in it's full glory. Somehow, the brain doesn't get caught in technicalities when playing the game and trying to avoid getting killed, solve mysteries, and all that. (Not even counting the exceedingly large amount of extra SFX that Grub managed to cram into it...-just kidding.., :D) So it's an OK bitrate for in-game music.

As for technical differences, my understanding is that all things being equal, the .ogg format is superior to .mp3. But only marginally, just as .aac may be seen as superior to .mp3 by some folks too.
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

I am thrilled for the release of this - but am hoping it will be released in 320kbps mp3 format soon. I am all for convenience!!! :)
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

So when is it coming out on record?
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

LeoBad wrote:If I'm not mistaken the .ogg files on the TNM install were encoded at 128kbps
*Looks it up in WinRar*

Looks like a variable bitrate around 160kbps (for most songs).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:Yeah I believe it shows up in Winamp (that's what I've heard, I don't use Winamp myself). WMP gets its CD info from some 3rd party company that we have to send a copy of the OST so they can type it in - it's a bit stupid.
As a suggestion, I notice the TNM OST doesn't show up in www.freedb.org when I try to encode these CDs to MP3....
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ah ace, dBpowerAMP supports that, I'll get it done in a jiffy then :)

Thanks!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

LeoBad wrote:And the sound quality of the Soundtrack as a whole was brought up a notch. Give the OST a chance and see what your personal opinion is.
Got a listen to it last night, and I found it very well done - the sound quality is indeed worth CDA, which is why I wanted to download it. This is especially considering I tend to like listening to this style/kind of music (and tend to find it hard to find good tracks of the nature I'm looking for now). Given that, I found it very comparable to some of the best tracks I've heard in this area.

Well done, and thanks for using your talents in this way!
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

chris the cynic wrote:So when is it coming out on record?
Vinyl you mean? geez that would be a whole another dimension of coolness.
Hassat Hunter wrote:
LeoBad wrote:If I'm not mistaken the .ogg files on the TNM install were encoded at 128kbps
*Looks it up in WinRar*

Looks like a variable bitrate around 160kbps (for most songs).

Oh ok. So I was mistaken. Thanks for rubbing it on my face. #-o
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

ggrotz wrote:Got a listen to it last night, and I found it very well done - the sound quality is indeed worth CDA, which is why I wanted to download it. This is especially considering I tend to like listening to this style/kind of music (and tend to find it hard to find good tracks of the nature I'm looking for now). Given that, I found it very comparable to some of the best tracks I've heard in this area.

Well done, and thanks for using your talents in this way!
Thanks ggrotz.. You have just won a cookie :smile:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

LeoBad wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Looks like a variable bitrate around 160kbps (for most songs).
Oh ok. So I was mistaken. Thanks for rubbing it on my face. #-o
Steve wouldn't let us use anything less. He would've literally exploded if we'd reduced the sound quality below 160 - even that was pushing it I think :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Yay, mine came in the post today; I've just finished tagging it, and am listening to Frequency Modulated at the moment. I'm liking it a lot, thanks. :D
Any chance of artwork for iTunes?