Marketing - Version 2

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Marketing - Version 2

Post by Trestkon »

Upon much discussion with OiNutter, we've decided to change our PR strategy a bit. In a nutshell, Oi suggested that we can generate more interest if we cease our weekly posting and instead make our posts more spread out and content rich.

We fully agree with this sentiment, and it was actually something we'd planned for closer to the release. However, it's something that could use more time to build up, so we're going to start now. The idea is still being fleshed out, but it makes sense, considering that our weekly posts are really pretty bland, anyway.

Key points:

-Less frequent news posts (maybe monthly?)
-MUCH more media in those posts, videos, screenshots, etc.
-Mirroring of those posts at on Moddb
-Be more stingy with info, in general
-Identify key things that we can use to generate intrest, the prime example of this would be Warren Spector voicing a few barks (which we'll start trying to make happen this weekend)

Comments, suggestions?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Also, I don't imagine that we'll get into any gaming mags until release, but if we can scheme up a way to bring ourselves to the attention of gaming news websites, that would be excellent.

We should be making an effort to capitalize on the Deus Ex name, and the upcoming DX 3.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

I'm not sure us being stingy with information would do us any good at this point, but as far as the general strategy goes I don't see an issue (not sure whether or not it'll do anything useful but it won't hurt anything obviously)
NVShacker
Are you still there?
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Honestly? There's no mystery about our mod. Practically every little tidbit of new design we have is featured in a POTW. Less revealing POTWs, I believe these pictures are only designed to display technical aspects, such as parts of a map that seem well made (I really think we should only put POTWs of maps early in the game tbh) chill out on our fancy pants new weapons, showing our very strange pump shotgun was acceptable, the double pistols, etc. But the Phat rifle and napalm cannon? That should have been kept secret until release.

This is of course... all useless since its been done already.

But, about the new news posts. Yes heavy media, but NOT REVEALING AT ALL. This of course leaves still a large amount of content that can be displayed, since in the past, we HAVE revealed a lot of stuff. So... might as well make use of it.
Structure... structure is important. Here's a suggested key:

Introduction
Departments:
Mapping
Coding
Voice acting
Modelling
Teammates:
Talk about a teammate, keep it positive. Mention something nice about someone you think deserves it.
Involvement:
Get our community involved, ask a question, offer something for them to do to get in contact with us. Then make a thread in our forum in regard to this involvement piece.
Closing

Bah... there's a bunch of stuff I should have voiced a while ago now that I think about it. Like earlier though... whatever I say is useless now. :/
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I don't think we have to worry too much about stuff we've already revealed. Most people have probably forgotten half the stuff we've shown/said because there's been SO much of it. Plus, all the new people that this will hopefully attract won't have seen any of it, anyway.

Good idea on the community involvement!
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

community involvement is key I believe. When I look at games produced by big time gaming names, its an obvious trend what happens to games where they listen to fans. In our case, simply interacting with fans is a good step, I don't see us accepting feedback in the form of ideas and such at this stage. But... like I said involvement involvement.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Personally I think regular updates are important to maintain interest
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Especially since you've been incredibly keen on regular promotion up to now.

I reckon it'd take about a week and a half before you get spammed with

"LOL IS UR MOD DAED?"

and similar.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

DDL wrote:Especially since you've been incredibly keen on regular promotion up to now.

I reckon it'd take about a week and a half before you get spammed with

"LOL IS UR MOD DAED?"

and similar.
Which, ironically, would mean people were still paying attention. And once a monthly update hit, all would be revealed.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

that guy wrote:Personally I think regular updates are important to maintain interest
Perhaps, but all the people who are paying any attention right now are members of the community, and they aren't going anywhere, anyway.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

if I was an onlooker I would much rather read a well thought out post after a while than "so yeah we're working on stuff, lol" every week.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:if I was an onlooker I would much rather read a well thought out post after a while than "so yeah we're working on stuff, lol" every week.
Jeez Chris, thanks. It's so great to know my weekly posts are appreciated :/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:
ZeroPresence wrote:if I was an onlooker I would much rather read a well thought out post after a while than "so yeah we're working on stuff, lol" every week.
Jeez Chris, thanks. It's so great to know my weekly posts are appreciated :/
Well, that IS pretty much what we write. Just a lot fancier.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Here's a rather EXCELLENT short teaser that OiNutter came up with. I'm not sure we can do it justice with ingame footage, but it's awesome, none the less:

It's dark and you are showing this npc running down an alley in forum city.

The camera is probably chasing him.

He hits a dead end and turns around and Trestkon is standing right behind him.

The camera is fixed on a side view of Trestkon's golden gun firing in slow motion.

Then it shows trestkon slowly putting his hands back at his sides.

Then the shot changes so that you can just see the feet of the guy and the shell casing, with maybe trestkons legs in the center.

Then a voiceover says "On this forum... all bans are permanent"

FADE OUT. FLASH "A mod for Deus Ex.
http://www.thenamelessmod.com
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

do it. If not I question your manliness.

OiNutter is obviously the official epic idea man.