The Trestkon Conundrum

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

The Trestkon Conundrum

Post by Trestkon »

I've come to the tentative conclusion that we should suspend recording any more Trestkon lines. In my current plan, we'd finish processing what we have now, and include it as an option in the installer. Allow me to highlight my thought processes:

-We've probably recorded a little over 500 Trestkon lines
-There are approximately 3000 Trestkon lines in total
-We've been recording Trestkon lines for 6 months
-There's no way we're spending 2 years waiting for all the Trestkon lines
-Even if Matt somehow sped up to superhuman speed, we'd still have to slice AND filter all those lines
-Stopping now would prevent further wasted effort and free up resources so we could finish everything faster

I agree that it's not the idea solution, it'd be fantastic and awesome to have all the Trestkon lines in, but realistically, it's not going to happen.

Thoughts?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Silent Characters in RPGs work for me so while it would be cool if Trestkon talked it's not a bad thing that he doesn't.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think that's a good idea. Including it as an option in the installer, though... introduces a problem: Wouldn't we have to include two copies of every dialogue audio file? Since our audio probably takes up 75% of the mod, that would drastically increase the download size of TNM.

If we do find a way to include partial voice-acting for Trestkon as an option, I still strongly suggest we do the following:
  1. Record Trestkon-lines for the cinematics (regardless of what we do, these should btw be recorded ASAP). These should be forced on the player even if he or she doesn't choose to install partial Trestkon voice acting.
  2. Implement DDL's code that fakes lip-syncing on dialogue without recorded audio.
  3. Make sure all convos with Trestkon voicing are fully voiced - meaning for example record the last Trestkon-lines for the Yardbomb convos.
  4. Record Trestkon's side of the really major convos (the initial Phasmatis conversations, the pre-boss-fight convos in DXI and on the space station, the holocoms on the space station).
We should do the first two no matter what, by the way.

#4 is the least important, but I still think it would be nice - right now, it's a bit random which conversations have been voiced, and as a player, getting audio on Trestkon's lines for a character like Nosferatu but not on major pivotal conversations like the quick exchange with Slicer before he fights you, that would be a real "WTF"-inducing inconsistency.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I agree that the first two should be done no matter what.

Could you list what you think are the major convos?
OiNutter
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by OiNutter »

I'm a little late, but I just happened to read this topic and thought I could contribute:

Why not cut down on Trestkon voicing KOTOR style? This means that Trestkon's lines that are NOT chosen by the player are voiced and acted, while the Trestkon lines that are chosen by the player are just skipped. The player has already read them anyway. Not sure how much of Trestkon's dialogue is user-choice, but if it is a lot, it could potentially solve some problems...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oi, it's about the same as in Deus Ex - that is, a very small portion of Trestkon's lines are in the form of choices. An educated estimate is that it's maybe 5% of them. It would make no difference in the big picture.

Larry, I'd say we should voice these convos (I'm at work so pardon I don't remember the specific conversation names):

Phasmatis - Briefing
Scara - First convo
Kashue - First convo
Slicer - Pre boss fight
ZeroPresence - Pre boss fight
Scara - DXI debriefing
Kashue - DXI debriefing
Ryan - First convo
Kylie - Pre boss fight
Deus Diablo - Pre boss fight
Deus Diablo - Pre rescue
Every holocom conversation in mission 24 (there are about 6 I think, but they don't add up to that many Trestkon lines)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

?

Are we not going to get Jeremiah's crew to do all of them? Or is this just in case that doesn't work out?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

This is just in case that doesn't work out :)

And because you asked!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine