Beta 1.0.0 Check List

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Yeah, I don't get home from work until about 5pm, so we don't really sync up anymore. Let's just say July 12th, then, and go from there.

As for the OpenGL thing, it's definitely possible that I have it setting the wrong value. It shouldn't matter what he has he DX settings at, I don't think, as it should write in all the OpenGl info, but that could be a result of the aformentioned error. However, changing render settings in TNM (is that what he did?) will never work, at least, as far as I remember it doesn't…anyway, I'll have to look into it all some more :-p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No he fixed the line in the .ini.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

*moves Beta conversation to proper place*

In the manual, will the link the the Beta actually work? I notice that it has spaces in the URL but no %20 's.

We should probably give them that manual as well as the regular TNM manual in advance (ie: with the email informing them they're in the first group).

Oh, and I think it would be good to add a blurb to the voice acting section in the Beta manual that mentions that we *don't* have all the characters voiced yet, or we'll get a lot of bug reports :-p What they should watch out for are characters that are voiced, but are missing lines, as that's always a bug.

*eats lunch*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I think it'll work. We can test before we send it out.

Partially voiced characters aren't actually always a bug right now. For example, check our list of "Pending rerecording" lines on the VADB :(

But yeah, I'll add a note about ignoring characters that aren't voiced.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Yeah, there's a couple that aren't bugs, but it's still way less than the amount of reports we'd get about characters with *no* lines. I'll have to poke a couple of those partial record people, actually.

As for the BETA folder, I don't know if we have to bother giving everyone seperate usernames/passwords. We could just secure it with a single user/pass and give it to everyone.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Here's the email draft, Jonas. Feel free to suggest changes.

Code: Select all

Subject: The Nameless Mod - Beta Testing

Greetings,

The time has finally come for us to call upon the mighty testing skills of YOU, the prospective Beta testers!  After more than 6 years in development we finally have a product that we feel is nearing completion.  

If you've received this email, it's because you're one of the select few who have been chosen to take part in the Beta testing.  The Beta process will consists of two separate rounds.  One round of testers will begin testing next week and all the way up to release.  The second round will begin halfway between the first round and the release of the mod.  The basic idea is that we want to have a good supply of fresh testers and don't want anyone getting too burned out.

There is but a single thing that you must do to secure a covoted place on the testing roster: email us back with all due haste.  We realize that some of you have been on this list for a very long time, and we want to confirm that everyone is still interested, and still has the time to commit to this undertaking.  We should be clear right off the hop that it *IS* a sizable commitment on your part.  TNM is a massive mod, and you can expect about 15 hours on your first playthough.  That doesn't include the second storyline you can follow the second time through.  If you feel you can't spare the time, please still email us back and let us know.

Once you've contacted us to confirm you place in the testing roster, you'll receive further information/instructions.

This message will self destruct in 5…

-The Nameless Mod Team
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

My suggested changes:

Code: Select all

Subject: The Nameless Mod - Beta Testing

Greetings,

The time has finally come for us to call upon the mighty testing skills of YOU, the prospective Beta testers!  After more than 6 years in development we finally have a product that we feel is nearing completion. 

If you've received this email, it's because you're one of the select few who have been chosen to take part in the Beta testing.  The Beta process will consist of two separate rounds.  One round of testers will begin testing next week and all the way up to release.  The second round will begin a few weeks later.  The basic idea is that we want to have a good supply of fresh testers to start from the beginning once we've fixed the bugs reported by the first group of testers.  Though it may seem like the first group is getting the better part of the deal, remember that the last batch of testers will play play a build with more bug fixes and more voice acting.  It all balances out thanks to Cosmic Karma!

There is but a single thing that you must do to secure one of the coveted places on the testing roster: E-mail us back with all due haste.  We realize that some of you have been on this list for a very long time, and we want to confirm that everyone is still interested, and still has the time to commit to this undertaking.  We should be clear right off the hop that it *IS* a sizable commitment on your part.  TNM is a massive mod, and you can expect about 15 hours on your first playthough.  That doesn't include the second storyline you can follow the second time through.  If you feel you can't spare the time, please still email us back and let us know.

Once you've contacted us to confirm you place in the testing roster, you'll receive further information/instructions.

This message will self-destruct in 5...

- The Nameless Mod Team
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Good stuff :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've finished the Treskton sequence in the ABI ruins. I think it works pretty well as a scripted sequence instead of a cutscene. There's still one thing left to fix about it though: Treskton has no items. We need to either decide on a set of items for him to use, or to find a clever way to give him the same weapons and ammo that the player has (which could be non-trivial to implement, since we'd need to make sure it doesn't copy unique weapons!)

Once Nick has implemented the PC game-related flags for the debugger, we can scratch Narcissus off the beta to-do list.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Woo, nice work :-)

I think it would be easiest to just give him a standard set of weapons.

Aemer confirmed for the Beta so we're up to 9 for Phase 1!

Also, I was thinking about the SVN thing. What you said yesterday about corrupting their saved games makes total sense, but then we should be sure to instruct them NOT to setup the SVN. Currently don't we recommend it in the doc? And there's also the SVN thread, so some people might just do it right away by themselves if we don't tell the differently.

I was thinking that maybe we should hook them up to the con audio part of the SVN, but in reality it's probably a lot simpler and more consistant for testing if we just keep them away from the SVN entirely.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Who's voicing Treskton? I'd like to give it a try, if we don't have anyone lined up. Even if it's not the best uber-quality voice acting ever, at least it seems like a character I should probably do.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jeremiah is voicing Treskton.

Right now the beta manual sort of describes the SVN as optional, but yeah we could just tell them not to use it. Or just remove that section from the manual. I guess it would be easier for everybody if we simply upload a set of compiled convo packages whenever we've made enough VA progress that the testers should get an update.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Ah right, I guess that makes sense for Jeremiah to do it. Especially since he, you know...has talent :-p

I agree, let's just remove that section from the manual, and probably move that thread back to our private forum.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Here's the latest version of the testing manual, let me know if you have any more changes so I can get it done before we send it out tomorrow :)

http://www.thenamelessmod.com/BETA/Beta ... Manual.pdf
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

A few updates to the beta list: I've replaced the PC high scores with the PDX sniper sequence (which is already done, thanks to Shane) and struck the DXI ruins remake off the list. Speaking of which, the new DXI ruins are on the SVN. Not very well tested though and in dire need of some more scripting, but Nick and I will hopefully see to it tomorrow.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine