Audio

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Briguy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Briguy »

Grub wrote:
that guy wrote:I like the song and think it suits the voodoo shop but I don't see how it is funny.....
It's funny because, among the strange whistling police sirens, the horns sound like enormous expulsions of rectal gas.
lol, exactly, hehe
Redd
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Slightly important thing that I forgot to put on the first post:

Leo has suggested an RMS scale for our sound, to keep it consistant. It is thus:

RMS Scale:
0 to -6 dbFS for dialog
-6 to -13 dbFS for sound effects
-13 to -18dbFS for the music
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Sensei
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Sensei »

'Ey, guys. It's been a while since I've forum-posted, so I figure I'll do so. I'm posting at the end of a late night of music speed-writing. I was a dope, and accidentally saved over the original of the former ABI Interior ambient track, so I had to redo it from scratch, and it is now the ABI Lab ambient track. I made a subfolder on my site to house recently completed .oggs, which now includes ABI Lab ambient intro, ambient loop, battle loop; ABI Ruins ambient intro, and ambient loop. http://www.livingstonian.com/music/TNM/
Please leave feedback. ;)
Bam!
Briguy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Briguy »

Ok guys I will be adding DXI_ruins outro and death in the next couple of days. So that leaves me with convs. Is there any chance of getting the maps for my next assignment?.
Redd
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Brian, you should probably download version 1.1.0 of the alpha, it's the latest build:

tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/ALPHA/The Nameless Mod ALPHA 1.1.0.exe (paste it into your address bar)

It doesn't have the DXI maps though (in fact it stops 1 mission before you get to DXI), but you can download those here:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _02_05.rar

Bear in mind there are more maps in that rar than there will be eventually though. The plan is to merge some of these maps so there will be 3 maps like the Audio thread says.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sensei wrote:I made a subfolder on my site to house recently completed .oggs, which now includes ABI Lab ambient intro, ambient loop, battle loop; ABI Ruins ambient intro, and ambient loop.
Sensei... you fucking rock.

That Ruins track (the track formerly known as Mandible) is without a doubt the best ambient track you've made thus far. The Lab track is exciting and has a great melody, but the Ruins track just stays in the background, creating this sinister, dark atmosphere which is perfect for the ruins. Now you just need to make the last three tracks for the Ruins, and then the entire score for the ABI mission is done :D

You are the man!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Heads up: It takes 15 seconds from the player dies until a map with our spinning logo and our theme song is loaded. This means all death tracks should be 15 seconds of length and can be given a clear beginning and end with no worries about looping it.

Any death tracks we already have which are longer than 15 seconds can stay. If you guys really feel like it, you can make 15-second versions out of them and just leave the full versions on the FTP for the soundtrack CD.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Jonas I think brian actually wanted you to assign a new map to him now that he's almost finished his current one.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't think so, because I've already assigned all of the Forum City maps to him, which was why he went "woah" in his first post in this thread :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

The RMS Scale

Post by LeoBad »

This is not my idea, it appears on the book "Audio for Games" by Alexander Brandon, and according to him was suggested by Todd Simmons (Sound Designer for Ion Storm) while they were working on DX: Invisible War.

The idea behind setting an RMS scale (or volume scale or whatever you wanna call it) is to achive consitency in the dynamic range through the game.
ie: we set the voice to be normalized between -13 db to -6 db.
This will be our loudest audio content.
Then we set the levels for the SFX between -18 to -13 db , and finally we use -25 to -18 db RMS for the music.

Why RMS and not peak normalization? because RMS averages the response of the meter, in other words it meters closer to how we hear.

You can do this in soundforge or with any brickwall limiter before an rms meter. Just shoot for the ranges mentioned above.

I hope I've been helpful.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

okay guys, listen up. Previously, the music was spread all over the damn FTP. Trestkon and I finally had enough of this, and so we decided to centralize it. From now on, we ask you to please upload all your finished ogg files to your own folder in this directory:

teamFTP/PACKAGES/Music/

The naming scheme is easy and will make it a lot easier for the rest of us to get a quick overview of the tracks. It goes like so:

Level_(Map_)Event

Examples:

DXI_MCR_Ambient
ABI_Ruins_Combat

If your assigned map doesn't really have a subsection (like ABI or DXI where several parts make up a whole level), just leave that part out like so:

Weaponshop_Ambient.ogg

Remember only completed tracks go here. To back up your work in progress, please use your own folder in the teamFTP directory. Thanks a lot in advance. You're doing a great job guys, I just wish you could all do it a bit faster :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

You know..I just counted music files, and we're done 26 out of 103, that puts us at 25% complete music-wise.

Or am I crazy?
Briguy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Briguy »

Hey guys, sorry so long, anyway I have read all that is expected to upload and what not. I am aiming at getting it all uploaded after Christmas as I have have couple more days off work. That's the plan. So every one have a great Christmas and talk too you all soon.
Redd
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Briguy wrote:Hey guys, sorry so long, anyway I have read all that is expected to upload and what not. I am aiming at getting it all uploaded after Christmas as I have have couple more days off work. That's the plan. So every one have a great Christmas and talk too you all soon.
Thanks Brian, have a great Christmas!
Briguy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Briguy »

Hey all, I am in search of a good free wav to ogg file converter. I am using Cwenc right now which is all right but there is to much data lose which affects my loop points. I remixed all my tunes and converted to ogg files, now the loop points totally suck. Can some of you down load my tunes from the server and have a listen, maybe mu ogg player just sucks. Pleas advise! Thanks.
Redd