Audio

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Mormalizing to RMS

Post by LeoBad »

Hey guys, after Jonas' suggestion to explain how to normalize to RMS I'm posting a little guide to do it using the current tools you work with.

Those of us who use Soundforge are the lucky ones since Soundforge has this feature already built in. Just go to the Process menu, select "normalize" and a window will pop up with different options. At the top there a selector for rms or peak processing, choose rms and then at the left press the button labeled "scan levels" then use the slider to set the desired amount of leveling and I would suggest to use the "Apply dynamic compression" option in the "If clipping occurs" section. Then press "ok". You will have just nomalized your track within the suggested RMS levels.

For those that do not use Soundforge there are other tools that will also do the job. The plugin Ozone by Izotope is a mastering plugin that has the ability to use RMS metering when applying dynamic compression, or you can use any audio analyizer plug-in such as Waves' "PAZ" or "Inspector" by Elemental Audio Systems (this last one is free and it's gooood).
Use the analyzer as the last plug in your audio chain and use the dynamics plugin of your choice to raise, lower, compress, or expand your audio to the required level.

Lastly after saying all of this I'd like to say that I volunteered to apply this process to all the music tracks, in case any one of you had some problem with the process. So don't sweat it if this causes you too much trouble.

Leo.
Last edited by LeoBad on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

You 'da man, Leo.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Update

Post by LeoBad »

Hi.

Just a quick update to let you know that I uploaded the PDXHQ/ Phas' Apartment Combat track.

You can get it here

cheers
SpiritVII
Mole Person

Post by SpiritVII »

Hi! Just stopping by to say that no, I am not dead, nor have I been kidnapped. I'm still alive and I'm conceptualizing the DXO_Action track. Well, maybe I have been kidnapped, now if someone could open the basement door plz...

Oh, I saw the trailer and that was just awesome, really sparked my excitement up again. Oh and check this mod out, they said it would be compatible with HDTP:
Deus Ex: Reborn
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Good to know you're still alive :D

And yeah, DX: Reborn looks hella cool, I hope they spend enough time on tweakage to provide a nice, polished mod.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Phas' Apartment Convo

Post by LeoBad »

So here's the finished Phas Apartment conversation track. I wasn't able to upload it yesterday because I had some ISP problems and the FTP kept timing out. But today those problems are gone so I managed to do it.

The track's mixed and should be final unless someone has a different opinion.

See ya.

PS: I took the liberty of updating my "to do" list on the first post of the topic.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Awesome, Leo! That brings us up to a top quality 28% :D

btw, it wasn't your ISP, the FTP was down for everyone :?
ilikecokekd
Mole Person

New music added by Kevin Dellinger

Post by ilikecokekd »

Hello All,

New tracks are available to take a listen to:

http://www.tnm.offtopicproductions.com/ ... _intro.mp3

http://www.tnm.offtopicproductions.com/ ... bient1.mp3

.ogg and .wav files are also available in my ftp folder, "kdellinger" in the music directory.

Peace Out,
Kevin
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I just copied this over from the other thread to keep the conversation going:

Hey Kevin, excellent start!

Here's a few critiques and a description of WorldCorp:

These tracks are slightly too upbeat and energetic. You may also want to tone down the beat a bit, to make it more ambient.

Worldcorp has more of a sinister atmosphere to it. WorldCorp is basically your typical power hungry, corrupt, multi-billion dollar corporation. Their goal is basically world domination, and they currently control 70% of all businesses operating in Forum City. WorldCorp also conducts genetic experiments on helpless victims, and other sketchy type science experiments.

Basically, the music should be sinister, but not downright evil. The player should suspect that there's something dark lurking under the bright shiny facade of WorldCorp.
ilikecokekd
Mole Person

Being familiar to the game

Post by ilikecokekd »

Like I said, earlier, tracks that are not suitable, could be used somewhere else. My creativity is spontaneous. Each song is unique and is very unpredictable. There will be many many times that I will write a tune and it doesn't fit anywhere.

It would be wiser to assign other team members to put the music where it fits.

Focusing on one scenario limits my creativity. Because when I write music, it comes from somewhere else. I never know what I will end up with. It may take days to find that perfect song you are looking for.

So, I will post them in the categories in my folder. Allow other members to use them where they see fit or whoever decides those things.

Yes, I am unique. But I get the music written when it comes to me.

Being familiar to the game will take time. But it doesn't mean you will get the perfect tune for that scene right away. I'm sure other composers like me know what I am talking about.

Music is an art form in itself. Creating an atmosphere, feeling the right mood, feeling the right melody, these things come from the soul. The inner-minglings of energies floating about has no predictable substance. It comes when it chooses to come.

So the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to use the music where you want it. Let the writer of the story decide if it feels right in a particular scene. Leave those decisions to someone more familiar to the game.

If you let me be creative, you will get more music and more tracks to plug-in where ever. If I rely on one scene, it may take some time for that dark dreary song to come.

What ever tracks don't fit, let me know, and I will delete them in the directory.

Maybe another composer is more suitable for WorldCorp that specializes in the style you are looking for.

Either way, I am happy to help, where my music fits. If a song comes up in the future that fits WorldCorp, then hooahh. And remember fellas, I'm doing this for fun. I never look at my work as a job. That kills my spirit.
I say, if you don't enjoy what you do, find something else until you do.

Having brain farts and losing ideas may be result of not enough sleep or just plain boredom. Either way, watch American Idol.

Here is a little poem to describe how I feel:

Let the Clouds swirl and flow
But it is not up to me to see
where the bird droppings will go
The trees are fixed and know there place
but without the nuts
the squirrels cannot chase
You know the rain will fall
but lightning may strike
will it hit the golfer? or the gopher?
Either way, volcanoes are unsuitable
but they can still make land.

And some words of wisdom to everyone:

Don't be intimidated by the creative.
You may eat an apple everyday, but one day, you may want to eat an orange or a watermelon.

Peace,
Kevin

:shock:
Kevin Dellinger
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

no amount of ellipsis can sum up my response to that post :|
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Okay Kevin, you can compose whatever you like and we'll try to match it to a level, horrible and hacky as that method is. But here's the catch:

We still need a full set of tracks for each level. That is to say, we need not just an ambient track, but usually also a conversation track, a combat track, a death track, and often even a second ambient track, and all those need to FIT together for each level! If you're sneaking around in a level with happy techno music, you will be torn right out of immersion if the soundtrack fades into a hardcore death metal guitar riff when you decide attack somebody. We don't need the music to distract from the gameplay, so just make sure all the tracks for each level fits each other, alright?

If we assign one of your ambient tracks to, for example, the server complex, we do NOT want to have to get Sensei to compose the rest of the tracks because you can't find the inspiration necessary to compose matching combat and conversation music.

We respect that you're an artists and as such rely largely on inspiration and being in the groove, but we're making a game here, we need a certain amount of craftsmanship from you to make everything work. Are you okay with that?

Sorry to put it to you like that, but we have 5 different composers and 103 individual tracks to produce, and we need everything to fit together. Even if we can't pay you :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Alright Kevin, if that's the way you want to work it, it's fine with me 8) I just hate to see things to to waste, but we'll keep a sharp ear out and try and fit them in where we can.

Now, this kind of setup will work for our purposes, but you should probably know that if you want to break into the gaming industry, you're going to have to actually be designing music to fit the levels. But like I said, I'm happy enough to have you spontaneously generate music, as long as some of it fits :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Coughs suggestively at Trestkon*
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ilikecokekd
Mole Person

response to replies

Post by ilikecokekd »

Hence the statement, free. Keep in mind, I am getting nothing out of this except raw utter experience working with practical thinkers.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. It is just a healthy learning experience.

The problem is everyone is so picky. Not everyone on the team is going to agree with what sounds right where. Someone may say, hey that is cool. Someone else may say, that is too loud.

As far as your comment, Jonas, about structure, I agree. I am aware that scenarios have a certain style and they must correspond to each other.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make earlier.

You've got to keep in mind I have a lot of experience in the music industry. And one of the most important things about music, is originality.

When a television studio looks for a certain track, they have to sort out many tracks of music until they find the right one to suit their commercial.

If you are going to be structured and seek music to fit the mood of a scenario then you must find the right sound for that scene.

In the gaming industry, there is a reason why they have more than one composer. So there is a variety of styles to choose from to fit their needs.

Many people take a talent for granted. However, it isn't easy writing, composing, engineering, even being motivated, to come up with original music material.

If you want subtle music that doesn't interfere with gameplay, then find a composer that can do so.

Keep in mind, my goal is learn how this industry works and because of my post, you have taught me well. I thank you for that. That was the whole point of me being here. Also, it may help to inspire others.

Being open-minded will get you further along the road. You have structure in your programming. That makes sense. A system is essential to create a game. Organization is very important. Everything must work together perfectly.

But music is a different thing all together. You got to agree on what sounds right where.

I know composers that can read music and are the most boring people on the face of existence. They are not creative, but they can play beautifully.

Then there are composers like Bjork, who are very creative.

Right now, I have mixed feelings about working for your team because I haven't seen much enthuisasm. I didn't get a very positive response from some of the team members.

That may explain why some members of the team have left in the past.
So far, Lawrence has been very helpful, positive, and receptive.

I want to thank you Lawrence for being nice to me.

Therefore, I will retire for now.

Take Care,
Kevin
Kevin Dellinger