Coding

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Coding

Post by Trestkon »

Coding crew:
That Guy

20_WCHQ01, 20_WCHQ02, 20_WCHQ03, and 20_WCHQ04 (planting some spyware):
QR_MAIN_WCSpyware=TRUE
QR_MAIN_ShadowCode=FALSE

20_DXO, 20_PDXHQ01, and 20_PDXHQ02 (stealing the news script):
QR_MAIN_GetNewsscript=TRUE
QR_MAIN_KillPhas=FALSE

20_GoatCity (destroying the melk fountains):
QR_CULT_DrainTheMelk=TRUE
Beefman_LastQuestDone=FALSE

20_LlamaTemple (destroying the tablets):
QR_CULT_DestroyTheTablets=TRUE
DT_LastQuestDone=FALSE

22_GoatCity and 22_GoatTemplae (killing Athena):
QR_CULT_KillAthena=TRUE
Beefman_LastQuestDone=FALSE (that's not a mistake, it expires in mission 21)

22_LlamaTemple (killing Beefman):
QR_CULT_KillBeefman=TRUE
DT_LastQuestDone=FALSE

removed all todo list items that are already in the bug tracker

8) Add a function to the mission 20 and 22 scripts which makes all templars run to Athena's apartment if the alarm there is sounded

9) Send the goal updated message even when a goal is added in a datalink convo (weird bug...)
Last edited by Trestkon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

OMG, Shane kicks so much ass. Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout, look what our characters can do that the DX characters were too stupid to:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... CROUCH.jpg
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

My poll about skills in the public forum (spurred, btw, by the need to let Evil Invasion upgrade one of your skills to Trained on successful completion of the Black ICE mission) gave me a couple of ideas.

Firstly, I would like to adjust the way the regeneration augmentation works. I recall a quote by Warren Spector (or was it Harvey?) stating that they made it a point to avoid "sandwich"-moments in Deus Ex, meaning situations where the player might want to go get a sandwich while waiting for something to happen in the game. Following this excellent philosophy, we should make the regen aug into a burst aug rather than a gradual regeneration aug. Rather than slowly recharing your health in exchange for bioenergy, I think it would be good to make it instantly refill some of your health and simultaneously remove a good chunk of your BE. For example:

Level 1: All your BE is drained, you gain 25 HP.
Level 2: 3/4 of your BE is drained, you gain 25 HP.
Level 3: 1/2 of your BE is drained, you gain 25 HP.
Level 4: 1/4 of your BE is drained, you gain 25 HP.

So on level 4, if you're really close to dying, you'll just activate the regen aug 4 times in a row to regain all your health in exchange for ALL your BE. Does this sound good? We could also set a fixed BE drain and just increase the amount of HP gained, but I really want to power this aug down because it makes you bloody invincible in the game.

My second idea is to add some more one-shot items to the game, similar to the tech goggles and the rebreather. They would need to be more useful though, as not a damn lot of people used those items in the original game. The reason for adding this would be to make the environmental training skill more useful, and besides... Phasmatis is out of work.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Keffe
Thug

Post by Keffe »

Hmmm, I just wanted to put in a few things.

If you want to keep the Enviromental Training skill and change the health Aug then I'd have to say remove the skill for swimming but up the natural ability of the playable character a bit.

I think that if you change to the health aug to make it less powerful then you may want to have something to justify it for some people. If you're really good at sneaking, which is how I play too, you may not need health packs so much but for the Run-and-Gun players they may need something to fall back on.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm not sure I understand. Why would we remove Swimming?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Here are some ideas for powered items:

Power boots
When activated, you will run faster than with the highest level of the speed aug, and you will jump about as high as the third or fourth level of the speed aug. But only as long as it lasts of course.

Gas mask
I've always missed this in the original game. I was disappointed to find that the rebreather didn't protect against tear gas, but of course it makes sense. But a gas mask would rock, equip it, throw a few gas 'nades into a room and then storm in there and frag everybody, unaffected by your own gas. What's not to like about this? It would especially kick ass if we could overlay a few filters to make it look like you're actually wearing a mask.

Laser jammer
When you get near a laser emitter while this is active, the laser beam will be interrupted similar to if you throw an EMP grenade near the emitter.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I don't really agree with your perspective on the healing aug.

The healing aug wasn't something that you would leave on for ages and slowly regen. It was a matter of seconds before you were either at full health or ran out of bio energy. By making it a one shot thing you throw off the aug convention of making all augs passive. Also it means that you require calculations of how much bio energy is left. You could only have half as much bio energy as is required for a heal but not be able to get half a heal. Then there's the whole realism thing. Instant heal is not realistic.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm, you're right. Okay, we'll scratch that idea. Can we just make it heal you slower or something? It's really overpowered :(
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I've got a whole bunch of queries about the mission scripting.

what exactly is DDL working on and how far has he got with the inventory thing because I'm at a stage where I'm going to implement the more complex stuff like that and I need to know what he's done and/or talk to him/ get it off him.

when the player is captured in mission 23 the best way I can see to stop him actually dying is to load the map again in the new location as opposed to teleporting the player. The only difference will be that you get the loading screen. Do you know how to specify a target teleporter in the URL for a map transition?

Also regarding this I'm not sure how the fading will work if at all but please place a fade out camera and fade in camera on the map somewhere with a suitable name and whatever fade out time you think is appropriate.

do you want a sepparate body count, etc for each ABI map?

That's all I can remember. Anyway I've done a bunch of mission 23 stuff that's ready for testing.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

the guard room in 23_ABIRuins needs to be filled with SpawnPoints with the tag 'player_inv'. The mission script iterates through these spawn points dumping an item from the players inventory at each one. Please Ackknowledge when this is done. I'll chuck it in a todo list at the start of the thread.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It is now done. Additionally, ZP has placed a GEP Gun and a set of rockets on the shelves for the player to find if he is not captured (or if he visits the storage room before being captured). These items should of course be removed from the map if they have not been picked up by the time the player is thrown into the dungeon, they have been given the tag "DungeonStorageBoon".

For test purposes, it has been uploaded here:

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _12_05.rar
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh btw, I got some questions for you Shane:
  1. Did you ever make the doubleguns fire twice as fast when using alternate fire than they do with double fire?
  2. I read your post in the PDX thread about useless items. Do you think we should remove that visual effect cigarettes got and make them increase accuracy instead?
  3. Can we somehow add an option in the graphical settings to turn off the rain? Because that rain effect really fucks up my game periodically, making it potentially extremely frustrating to play through the first mission, and other people may get that same problem. Not to mention a decrease in FPS if their rigs are old.
  4. I've added the subway pass and vending machine to the graphics and modelling to-do lists, but I still have no idea how we'll show the player whether or not he has one... an inventory item would be a bad call, so do you have any suggestions?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Keffe
Thug

Post by Keffe »

Jonas wrote: I read your post in the PDX thread about useless items. Do you think we should remove that visual effect cigarettes got and make them increase accuracy instead?

I've added the subway pass and vending machine to the graphics and modelling to-do lists, but I still have no idea how we'll show the player whether or not he has one... an inventory item would be a bad call, so do you have any suggestions?
[/list]
Just adding suggestions.

For the cigs, what about adding accuracy for the rifle but also decreasing run speed for a brief time?

For the subway pass, what about how the nanotech key thingy in your inventory when you clicked it showed a list of keys you have, couldn't you do something similar? That or add it to that list.

Just suggestions I thought when reading.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Keffe wrote:For the cigs, what about adding accuracy for the rifle but also decreasing run speed for a brief time?
Yeah, they already deal a bit of damage as far as I know, so I think that's enough of a penalty, really. It might be an idea only to make them decrease your scope shake.
For the subway pass, what about how the nanotech key thingy in your inventory when you clicked it showed a list of keys you have, couldn't you do something similar? That or add it to that list.
Yeah I thought about that, but unfortunately we've already crammed the fist icon for the glove menu between the nanokey and the ammo type icons in the inventory screen, so we don't really have anywhere to put it. It might be an idea to actually add it to the bottom of the nanokey list though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

So let me get this straight. You want me to remove anything with the tag 'Dungeon..Boon' (can't remember th exact tag. Not important). From the map when the player gets captured unless it's in the players inventoy?

I'm yet to make the double guns fire twice as fast. I believe that is listed as a bug in the bug tracker. I also think I looked into it at one point and discovered there would be issues due to the animation speed but I'll investigate further when I have the time.

I don't think the cigarettes should increase accuracy. From a realism perspective I suppose that some 10 minutes after you smoke them your scope sway should be improved slightly or something. From a gameplay perspective the accuracy on the rifle is already fine. The cigarettes are supposed to be useless. They're just easter egg style items to improve immersion.

I think it's a truly excellent idea to be able to turn off rain. Add that to the TODO list and I'll get right on it.

Like Keffe said it would be good to have another little list window like the ammo and nanokey ones. However, like jonas said, having added the fist list as well there's really not enough room for it. Personally I would probably increase the scope of the passwords list to all accessors. Then we can just add the subway pass as part of the list. I agree that having it as an inventory item would be annoying.

in mission 22, sols bombers mission: I'm supposed to do a bunch of stuff when 4 bombers have been killed. As you know it is impossible to tell how many people have been killed. It is only possible to tell how many have not been killed. In light of this I have assumed that there are -only- 4 bombers. Is this assumption correct?