Coding

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I've fixed the camera system bug. I should be releasing a new tnm.u within hours but, in the even that I don't, I'll upload the code to my folder on the ftp. Changes are in trestkon.uc
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

20_PDXHQ02 is currently completely unplayable. I don't know why, but I keep getting GPF's and Windows crashes, and they seem related to sound. I can't make it rain outside the windows despite having fixed some dodgy brushwork that was messing up the zoning and having set everything up right (inside zones are precipitation shelters and outside zones are precipitation zones).

At this moment, I am all for ditching the precipitation system. Ever since we implemented rain, I've been getting more and more severe, game-stopping errors, and I'm not sure I can live with it anymore, now that I need to be able to play the mod for more than 5 minutes to test that the storylines work. I am currently extremely frustrated.

These are some of the errors I've been getting:

This is what TNM.log told me, anybody know what this is supposed to mean?
Warning: ***WINDOW WARNING: AskParentForReconfigure() called during configure (StaticWindow 20_PDXHQ02.trestkon1.DeusExRootWindow1.tnmhud1.StaticWindow1)
ScriptWarning: tnmMission20 20_PDXHQ02.tnmMission0 (Function TNM.TNMMissionScript.DecrementTimer:0009) Accessed None
I really really really just wanna be able to kick back and play the mod a bit without the game crashing. These constant errors and crashes are killing my motivation.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

okay, the panic has now slightly decreased. By deleting all the ambient rain sounds from PDXHQ02, I have eliminated the constant crashes. Although now I have to figure out how to put the sounds back in there without reintroducing the crashes...

The rain is also there now, some brush realignment and zone tweakage and a few rebuilds helped.

I still can't open the Goat City though.

Does anybody else see the irony in the fact that our only map that was created by a real professional level designer is full of dodgy geometry? :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I have no idea what the deal is with those bugs though I can tell you that those log messages are unrelated.

you -still- can't load goat city? I thought you resolved that to reverting back to the pre-pathed version?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I did, then I added my own pathing, and now I can't open that one either :shock:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

The map resists pathing. I say let the AI find its OWN damn way around. D:<
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Shane, this is what Phas said when he saw the subway pass' code:
The problem is you haven't got thirdpersonscale, firstpersonscale and pickupviewscale in the default properties. The drawscale property will simply scale the mesh in the editor not the game.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uhhh, Shane, did you actually test that text for the training mission?

It did not work as intended. First it displayed two lines of white text in a really weird position on the monitor, then it displayed three more lines of equally white and badly aligned text, and then it blacked out for about 40 seconds until the waiting camera ran out and proceeded with the cutscene.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

yeah that's pretty much what I expected.
I haven't positioned the text. I just picked fairly arbitrarily.
I didn't set the color but the option is there (though I havne't tested it)
If I recall correctly there was no 40 second wait camera, though ironically that actually sounds more or less like what you wanted.

The stuff I sent you was the tested (to a basic degree) code and a work demostrating how to use it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah, I set up the 48 second wait camera like you told me. That part worked fine.

But do you expect me to set up 20 (count 'em) credit text triggers timed by a dispatcher to handle the text? Are you telling me there is no easier way? :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Pretty Much. I could put it all in a mission script function but we'd still require all those parameters anyway so its really no easier.

Note that I already placed the dispatcher with the appropriate times so it shouldn't be that difficult to set up the creditstexttriggers once ou work out the text alignment you want
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:Yeah I did, then I added my own pathing, and now I can't open that one either :shock:
If you view the editor log window, what does it say?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:If you view the editor log window, what does it say?
It says you're about a month late, Doc. We reverted to an older version and redid the path work after a week of consulting Hahn and other clever people with no success. But thanks for your concern :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Bah. It all just seemed to run on so seamlessly, I didn't even check the post dates. D'oh.

Ah well. Oh, and while I'm here: I keep getting asked for username/password to see any images/whatevers posted here, and the one you gave me doesn't work. Is this bad? Or is it just ubermegasuparhigh security?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:I keep getting asked for username/password to see any images/whatevers posted here, and the one you gave me doesn't work. Is this bad? Or is it just ubermegasuparhigh security?
Sigh. As usual, an FTP account set up by me just doesn't seem to fucking work. I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong since no user I set up on the FTP ever seems to work. I guess you'll have to wait for Trestkon to set you up.

Shane, I've now put 20 credittexttriggers in the level activated by 3 different dispatchers. All three dispatchers are triggered at the same time by the first camera, and I've carefully calculated the delays of the dispatcher events, the live times of the credittexttriggers, and the timewaitpost of the second camera in the cinematic to all fit together. And yet... it doesn't. The credittexttriggers seem to completely ignore my livetime. It's not working out at all, everything is fucking up, can you please tell me if there's some code in those triggers that somehow times the text to the amount of letters or something?

On the positive side, I've got the positioning right now :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine