Graphics

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Only because it wouldn't be you making the normal maps. :shock:
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well obviously ;)

Phas do you think you could pop by on MSN tomorrow so we can talk about those goddamn monitors?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trest, whenever you get back from your cabin, I could really use a procedural texture depicting yellow-orange lights swarming around randomly. It'll be used to simulate bugs swarming underneath street lights in the Downtown sector. Trust me, it will be extremely mood-setting.

We're probably looking for something like Wepn_Prifle_SFX (in Effects), just without the significant trails and preferably with more randomness (Prifle_SFX looks too round). Please give it a go and see if it's possible. Ask me for the latest version of Core_Tex before you start.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

H'okay, I'll see what I can do about this tomorrow!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Hokay, I had a look at this. I can certainly make something suitable, I think I found the perfect colour of palette and they have an effect that looks almost exactly like swarming bugs.

However, the bugs swarm randomly around the entire texture, which means that the texture will look square if I just apply it to a light as a sprite texture. We'll need to apply it to something that's modulated and round. You think making a small round sphere model would work? Or maybe hemispherical would be better....
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Guys, I've got code for moths and/or fireflies already set up, which you're more than welcome to have. There's a lot of unnecessary code in there though (to account for light emping and glowtrails and stuff), so you might want to just do the following:

Subclass fly (firefly?), give it a reskin, make it bUnlit=true (or not, if it's under a light anyway).
For moths, omit the bUnlit, drawscale of 2.0, and, oh, fuck it: make two versions of the fly texture (except slightly browner, and possibly doublesized to put more mothy detail in) one with wings, one without, then use this:

Code: Select all

class Moth extends fly;

var texture tex1, tex2;
var vector lastloc;

function tick(float DT)
{
	if(skin == tex1 && lastloc != location) //only flap when we move
		Skin = tex2;
	else
		Skin = tex1;

lastloc = location;

super.tick(DT);
}

state Wandering
{
	function tick(float DT)
	{
		if(skin == tex1 && lastloc != location) //only flap when we move
			Skin = tex2;
		else
			Skin = tex1;

lastloc = location;

super.tick(DT);
	}
}

defaultproperties
{
     AirSpeed=60.000000
     AccelRate=300.000000
     UnderWaterTime=20.000000
     AttitudeToPlayer=ATTITUDE_Fear
     Skin=texture'TNMtextures.Characters.MothTex0'
     tex1=texture'TNMtextures.Characters.MothTex0' //with wings
     tex2=texture'TNMtextures.Characters.MothTex1' //without
     bTransient=true
     DrawScale=2.0
     AmbientSound=none
     RotationRate=(Pitch=32768,Yaw=50000)
     BindName="Moth"
     FamiliarName="Moth"
     UnfamiliarName="Moth"
}
Then stick a pawngenerator (or a subclass of the flygenerator, or even just a flygenerator set to spawn fireflies/moths) under your light.

Much more convincing, and believe me, flies really don't add much processing load to the engine.

And yes: moths flapping around a light REALLY adds to the ambience. :D[/code]
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Wow that's really cool DDL. Let me ask you something though, hypothetical situation: Say we only add them to the lamps near the dock, and say we add 8 bugs to each lamp. That's 120 bugs. Do you think that would be ok?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Anything more than 5 looks a little cramped, to be honest, so it'd probably only be 75.

Plus they're 'transient', so if the player is out of range of the generator (i.e far enough away that they probably wouldn't spot the flies/moths anyway) it deletes them. When the player comes back, they spawn again.

And besides, your average corpse spawns in 3 flies, and you can happily have stonking great heaps of corpses without notable slowdown.

So yes, I think that would be ok. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's awesome, I'll set the coders right on it! Thanks DDL!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

surprise, i'm alive

here's where i stand

computer texture: monitor is now dirty looking. keyboard is probably going to be redone, most likely when i have the patience to type out every key on the keyboard >:/. alos, hte back of the screen has more painted lighting now, hopefully that won't suck ingame

vending machines: haven't really touched these, but i pwomise i will soon

"pylonthingy.psd": i don't know what i'm supposed to do with this. it looks like a big red diagonal line. :?

windows: i don't think i can reset the window size, it doesn't really blend in well will all the grime that i added to the sides. if you can fit in in somewhere else, like you said, jonas, that's fine.

again, sorry i haven't been around a lot. i know i'm on msn frequently, but that's usually me not being very active.

also, i just got the fanciest camera ever, so i can probably get pictures of useless texture crap.
inACTIVE tnm graphical artist.
Jonas wrote:WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A NINJA-MOD IS THIS?!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey fub, forget about the windows and the computer, I've already done a new keyboard texture (it's the Optimus Maximus keyboard, pretty much) and the windows are fine at the moment.

You should do the vending machines ASAP. It really is ridiculously important. Currently the status is that we have 4 skins done, two of which are by HDTP. You need to do skins for the Tool machine, the Weapon mod machine, and the Ammo machine. The rest of the weapon shop is done, so we're just waiting on you.

As for the pylon, it's the side of this particular structure in the AI module of the space station. I'm not sure we still need a texture for it, you were gone so long I kinda gave up. It's clean metal right now, and I guess that works.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

alright, groovy.

also, if there are any sorts of weapons that need to be textured that haven't been done yet, i can certainly do them (this is basically the only thing i can do consistently, which is why i offer)
inACTIVE tnm graphical artist.
Jonas wrote:WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A NINJA-MOD IS THIS?!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

DDL wrote:Anything more than 5 looks a little cramped, to be honest, so it'd probably only be 75.

Plus they're 'transient', so if the player is out of range of the generator (i.e far enough away that they probably wouldn't spot the flies/moths anyway) it deletes them. When the player comes back, they spawn again.

And besides, your average corpse spawns in 3 flies, and you can happily have stonking great heaps of corpses without notable slowdown.

So yes, I think that would be ok. :)
Jonas just showed me a screenie of the lamp bugs, they look fantastic! Thanks a lot for those :-)

*sends girls and money*
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas, Jim finished his lines last night and has requested that a picture of a taco appear near his character :P Specifically, this one:

http://www.wpclipart.com/food/mexican/taco_large.png