Writing

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Done, thanks.
Phas just told you that it wasn't the security force that was the problem, but his secret para-military men, yet Trestkon seems to have totally ignored that comment.
No no, note the flag check. Those are two different branches of the conversation :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:Done, thanks.
Phas just told you that it wasn't the security force that was the problem, but his secret para-military men, yet Trestkon seems to have totally ignored that comment.
No no, note the flag check. Those are two different branches of the conversation :)
Oh, okay. It was late when I read that part :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I guess this is mostly for you, Gelo. Larry thought my idea might be a bit more polished if we get some feedback on it before I start writing it into the dialogues, so without further ado: My retcon (without the "ret"-part) of the reason why Deus Diablo was kidnapped by GameSpy:

Many years ago, the moderator council of DXI, led by the admin Gwog, made a deal with GameSpy to let DXI become planetized: The city was shifted to the dimension of ForumPlanet. But Gwog was worried that GameSpy might get too much power over DXI - that the DXI moderators would essentially hand the rulership of their planet to GameSpy during the planetization.

As a contingency, the moderator council created the Firestaff just before the planetization as a backup to preserve some of their power in case GameSpy decided to take advantage of them. Deus Diablo, who was not a moderator back then, was the mastermind behind the creation of the Firestaff, which is a sort of key to the admin power of the old DXI moderators in that it contains the necessary certificates and the proper permissions to control the city, and it was locked away so GS wouldn't find out about it.

Unfortunately the planetization was a catastrophy; the dimension-shift went horribly wrong and the city was buried under hundreds of meters of dirt. Everybody who knew about the staff died, except a select few (Ronin and Deus Diablo included) who couldn't retreive it anyway because it was buried under hundreds of meters of dirt.

After he became a moderator in the election from which Trestkon withdrew for unknown reasons in 2002, DD was instrumental in starting up the excavation of DXI because he alone knew what the buried city contained. But being secretive by nature, he never revealed why it was so important to unearth DXI. Unhappily, DXI proved too hazardous to excavate, and the bureaucracy shut down the project.

Fast forward to August 2004. Scara's researchers are looking for a way to duplicate the moderators' invulnerability and come across some references to the Firestaff - GameSpy, who have previously commissioned the ROFL satellite from WorldCorp, are keeping tap on the corporation's activities. Through this connection, they too learn about the Firestaff, and in it, they see a solution for one of their chief problems in governing ForumPlanet.

Previously, there was no known way to imbue an object with admin powers. With the knowledge of how the Firestaff was created, it would no longer be necessary to grant partial admin power to the various local admins of ForumPlanet, and GS would be able to withdraw their admin power and use the technology from the Firestaff to enslave every forumite on ForumPlanet.

Deus Diablo had a hand in creating the staff, so GameSpy assume he can help them achieve these goals. But DD proves a particularly unwilling subject to interrogate, and their progress is slow and tedious. Just as he is about to crack, Trestkon enters the stage...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

To clarify, would you say that they need deus diablo's knowledge of the workings of the firestaff to fully utilize its power?

Overall it sounds plausible to me
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes that's a good clarification, they definitely need both the staff AND Deus Diablo's knowledge of it. Since the staff is buried, they figured it'd be the easiest to abduct DD first and then hopefully retrieve the staff with the knowledge they could get from him.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

If that is exact text that is going to be used I suggest looking at this:

Unfortunately the planetization was a catastrophy; the dimension-shift went horribly wrong and the city was buried under hundreds of meters of dirt. Everybody who knew about the staff died, except a select few (Ronin and Deus Diablo included) who couldn't retreive it anyway because it was buried under hundreds of meters of dirt.

saying "hundreds of meters of dirt" twice is a little redundant. If this is just an idea, then ignore me.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:If this is just an idea, then ignore me.
Done ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

well seeing as how it's in the writing thread... it could easily have been understood that it is actual writing going into the game...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah, but that's not the case though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

ok? Jesus Christ... sorry for trying to help.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No problem, just don't let it happen again ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas, I've been splitting up VA lines and renaming them so they're ready for AudioX to deal with. Can we please remove this line from Jackie's M22 Subsequent? She mispronounces 'Kashue' and 'Phasmatis':

"I'm pretty sure PDX will help us out, though. Kashue and Phasmatis were regulars here."
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I'd also like to remove the BarkAreaSecure:

"Sorry."

Because she didn't seem to get the comment and it sounds like she's actually sorry for killing you. It just doesn't fit.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Another thing:

Look at Mission 20 -> Jackie1

Now look at the JCDenton lines. Do you have any idea why the go 1, 2, 1,2,3, etc.?

Matt discovered that when he was slicing up his recordings.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Another question, sir Jonas!

In the Sym2 convo, Trestkon says this if you're allied to Scara:

"You silly little man. You can't run away from me. How dare you insult my boss like that. For that I shall punish you. But first you're going to..."

What exactly is happening there? Why is Sym insulting Scara by running away from Trestkon, and what are they going to do 'first'? We can't seem to make sense of it. It also sounds rather terrible when spoken o_0

I imagine that as Matt voices thing we'll have need to make slight changes to a number of lines to adjust for readability. Whenever we do that I'll post it here :)

P.S. - In case you can't tell, VA is rocking :D Matt's voiced his side of Jackie, Compudoc, Sym, and Nosferatu. Just have some minor changes to make.