Writing

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

First of all, let me just note how extremely displeased I am that you repeatedly delete lines from the script just because the voice actors get them wrong!? Frankly it pisses me off. You can go right ahead and delete the "Sorry" bark, it's not important, but her subsequent about Phas and Kashue actually contains relevant background information! You're sure she can't just re-record it? It's a single bloody line. And you know, even if she can't, I say we keep it anyway. Frankly it doesn't really matter that much to me if certain characters mis-pronounce each others' names.

As for the audio naming scheme, first check to make sure the entire file path is in fact duplicated for certain lines. Sometimes (for example with choices or somesuch) the files will be named identically but placed in different folders. If they are indeed named entirely alike, then it's ConEdit fucking up because I've edited the dialogue after computing filenames. Usually I can do that without incident, but sometimes it messes up the naming scheme. It's relatively easily fixed by opening each event and pressing Update (or Enter on your keyboard) and then re-computing the filenames (it's a function under the File menu). I can do it when I get home, but it's pretty easy for you to handle if you can't wait.

As for the Sym line, it's yet another example of why you should be extremely careful who you get to help you with writing. Just like I've had to re-write most of the info devices AT Jazz wrote, I frequently become really annoyed with some of the stuff Andreus wrote for me. Because, you know, he was like 14 when he wrote it, and his sense of humour was... infantile, at best. That Sym line you mention is extremely out of place, I will rewrite it tonight, okay?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:First of all, let me just note how extremely displeased I am that you repeatedly delete lines from the script just because the voice actors get them wrong!? Frankly it pisses me off. You can go right ahead and delete the "Sorry" bark, it's not important, but her subsequent about Phas and Kashue actually contains relevant background information! You're sure she can't just re-record it? It's a single bloody line. And you know, even if she can't, I say we keep it anyway. Frankly it doesn't really matter that much to me if certain characters mis-pronounce each others' names.
I think I've done it once before, and I hardly think it fair to blame me for recordings from Tina when I had nothing to do with communicating with her. I don't even have her email address. Angry outbursts annoy me, especially when I spent hours sorting through all this yesterday.

I'll remove the 'Sorry' bark. The Phas/Kashue one, what if I just cut off the end so she says, "I'm sure PDX will help us out."
Jonas wrote:As for the audio naming scheme, first check to make sure the entire file path is in fact duplicated for certain lines. Sometimes (for example with choices or somesuch) the files will be named identically but placed in different folders. If they are indeed named entirely alike, then it's ConEdit fucking up because I've edited the dialogue after computing filenames. Usually I can do that without incident, but sometimes it messes up the naming scheme. It's relatively easily fixed by opening each event and pressing Update (or Enter on your keyboard) and then re-computing the filenames (it's a function under the File menu). I can do it when I get home, but it's pretty easy for you to handle if you can't wait.
I indeed did double check that the entire path was the same. We just numbered the lines in sequential order as they'll end up being. Whenever we catch an error like that I'll post here so it can be changed. I'd do it myself but I never likely to have the most up to date .con files and don't want to screw up the SVN.
Jonas wrote:As for the Sym line, it's yet another example of why you should be extremely careful who you get to help you with writing. Just like I've had to re-write most of the info devices AT Jazz wrote, I frequently become really annoyed with some of the stuff Andreus wrote for me. Because, you know, he was like 14 when he wrote it, and his sense of humour was... infantile, at best. That Sym line you mention is extremely out of place, I will rewrite it tonight, okay?
Righto. All the rest of his lines were workabe, that was one just...odd.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:I think I've done it once before, and I hardly think it fair to blame me for recordings from Tina when I had nothing to do with communicating with her. I don't even have her email address. Angry outbursts annoy me, especially when I spent hours sorting through all this yesterday.
First of all, I was not blaming you for the recording, I was blaming you for the proposed solution. Far as I can see, the most straight-forward solution would be to just ask her to re-record that line. Or in your case, ask Gelo to ask her. Second, that was not an angry outburst - that was a declaration of extreme irritation. An angry outburst from me would likely include seething sarcasm and possibly a bold typeface. Also I guarantee you that during angry outbursts, my intention is never to keep you from being annoyed.
I'll remove the 'Sorry' bark. The Phas/Kashue one, what if I just cut off the end so she says, "I'm sure PDX will help us out."
Fuck it. Do whatever you like.
I indeed did double check that the entire path was the same. We just numbered the lines in sequential order as they'll end up being. Whenever we catch an error like that I'll post here so it can be changed. I'd do it myself but I never likely to have the most up to date .con files and don't want to screw up the SVN.
Trest that's what the SVN is for in the first place: Do an Update and you're guaranteed to have the latest .con files. But fine, I can take care of it, it doesn't take a minute.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:Trest that's what the SVN is for in the first place: Do an Update and you're guaranteed to have the latest .con files. But fine, I can take care of it, it doesn't take a minute.
Oooooh yeah. For some reason that totally bypassed me. I'll change that unless you get to it, first.

I can ask Tina to re-record that line, do you have her email? I haven't seen Gelo in about a week.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Bet I'll beat you to it :P

Tina's addy is windihibagon@hotmail.com for MSN, probably the same for mail?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonasman!

I was setting up the Andreus lines and I noticed a little thing that might be in your realm of...things to fix :p

TNMConvos\Mission20.con, at the end of the Andreus2 convo it's jumping to an invalid conversation :)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Hey Jonas. Some more stuff about the Andreus convos.

Apparently this line was in the original script:

Andreus: "Yeah, Raving taught me. It shouldn't be that complicated, they're just regular 45mm pistols, but the silencers will need to be fitted for their muzzles. It won't take long, I can do it while you wait in the shop if you want."

But now the .con seems to call for "45 caliber", which is correct?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

45 caliber is correct. I'll fix the invalid convo jump. Thanks ^_^
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Bah, okay, I'll have him re-record it.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Hey Jonas, the ZP thing looks most excellent :)

I have two comments:

1 - ZP's line that starts with "I'll be hanging back..." there seems to be 3 choices in response to that, but only 1 of them actually fit on my screen? I'm not sure why...I was working in 1024*768 as usual.

2 - Trestkon says "Sod off." Didn't we decide he was American or Canadian?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

1 - Oh I guess I should clear the previous dialogue node, will do.

2 - Uh yeah, I just really like the expression "Sod off" :P Got any suggestions for a replacement?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

"go to hell" would fit pretty well, I think.

Also, a few minor suggestions:
Insert "I" in the choices after 01B, e.g.
Sounds good, I'll see your handywork on the upper level then.
"or it'll put me in a bad light." -> "it'll reflect poorly on me."
"Aww you gotta be kidding...? You're not." -> "Is this some kind of joke? No?"

EDIT-
Oh, and I found a typo in the subsequents:
"I was looking forward to excersizing my trigger finger though."
Should be "exercising".
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks a lot, all your suggestions have been implemented.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Just checked out the additions to the denouement section Jonas. They look right nice, I have a few tweak suggestions, but it'll have to wait until I get back.

It's going to require a lot of flag checking :p
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah most of it can be handled in ConEdit though. The mapping part itself will be comparatively simple.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine