TNM Alpha Thread

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I think Phasmatis uses a unique weapon, I can't remember what it is exactly but I had trouble with getting it to harm the player, so yeah he should be able to kill you but he needs a little coding still it would seem.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Wow, that's weird. Actually Phasmatis in the A155 is equipped with a regular TNMCombatKnife because as Phas said, the broom weapon that Phas created specifically for his character could never be made to harm the player. If the same is true for a regular TNMCombatKnife, that would indicate that the problem is with Phasmatis.uc, not WeaponBroom.uc.

I don't suppose you could look into this, DDL? Otherwise I'll ask Shane to do it, I got the impression you're a busy man :smile:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, if the knife under the pillow is also a tnmcombatknife, it works, coz I killed a guard with it.

Ah: wait: the tnmaugcombat call I mentioned that gives accessed nones..

If it can't find an tnmpawn augcombat, maybe the code assumes a multiplier of 0.0, rather than 1.0

And that would of course mean no damage.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Code: Select all

function float getcombatvalue()
{
return findaug(class'tnmnpcaugcombat').value;
}
Change to

function float getcombatvalue()
{
if(findaug(Class'tnmnpcaugcombat').value != 0)
   return findaug(Class'tnmnpcaugcombat').value;
else
   return 1.0;
}
This assumes that the code is applying a multiplier..I haven't checked...

EDIT: Checked now (had to download the TNMChars pack). Phas doesn't have augcombat, so yeah, if you can't find the aug you should be returning either 1.0, or, more in keeping with the standard way augs work, -1.0 (since aug values of -1.0 correspond to no aug), as the weaponcode is set up to use 1.0 if it gets -1.0.

Question: should I change these myself? Would it make sense to put a folder on the ftp for me to upload any querys/checks/changes I feel like making? Then Shane can look through that and assess whether I'm making any sense or have (more likely) just ruined his carefully constructed code. This way I don't actually run the risk of fucking anything up, plus it means one less person actively mucking around with TNM code, since any fixes/changes I come up with would have to be implemented (or discarded, obv) by Shane.

Also, Jonas: test the damn difficulty system! :D
DDL

Post by DDL »

But wait: there's more!

Minor, this: the cardboard box (boardboxsmall, I think) from endemia comes with an itemname of 'boardbox', which makes no real grammatical sense. Change to 'cardboard box', or just 'box'?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Would it make sense to put a folder on the ftp for me to upload any querys/checks/changes I feel like making? Then Shane can look through that and assess whether I'm making any sense or have (more likely) just ruined his carefully constructed code.
I think that sounds like a good idea, but I'll let Shane decide.
Also, Jonas: test the damn difficulty system! :D
Alright, I will. I'll test it tonight, I promise.
the cardboard box (boardboxsmall, I think) from endemia comes with an itemname of 'boardbox', which makes no real grammatical sense. Change to 'cardboard box', or just 'box'?
Yeah let's just change it to 'Box'.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Did you test your suggested change DDL? I suspect that while its fundamentally correct you'll in fact still get those accessed none warnings as you're trying to read the value out of a null augmentation. I've theoretically fixed this by comparing the returned augmentation against none instead of comparing its value to 0.0. Still returning one instead of -1 because its just easier :P

Changed those boxes item names.

I'd like to reiterate that its important for people to report in the bug tracker when they get warnings like that because as demonstrated by DDL they can be indications of much larger problems.

DDL Feel free to modify the tnm code however you like and send/upload your code. I'll just compare/merge it with mine when you say (BeyondCompare ftw)
DDL

Post by DDL »

The other thing to do, of course, would be to have a findaugmentationvalue function, too:

function float findaugvalue(class<tnmaugmentation> augclass)
{
	local tnmAugmentation anAug;
	local float val;

anAug = FirstAug;
	val = -1.0;
	while(anAug != None)
	{
		if (anaug.class == augclass)
		{
			val = anaug.value;
			break;
		}
		anAug = anAug.next;
	}
	return val;
}
Which wouldn't (I guess) bring up accessed nones, etc etc.

Anyway, next bug:

Walton simons's convo needs a check for 'I've already had this convo before', otherwise you have to go through the whole 'My name isn't capitalised' thing again.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Could you put the Walton bug in the tracker? Otherwise I will :)

I tried testing your changes, but after I used your player class, I couldn't compile TNMCameraPoint any longer. Could you send your stuff to Shane, then he'll merge it into TNM for some test0ring?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

That's really weird. What was the error?

I compiled it into the TNM code I've got without any problems..

Hang on, let's see if you're on messenger..
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've finished duplicating WCFloor1 and WCFloor4, all that remains of the building is the sublevel, since floors 2 and 3 will not be featured in M22.

I would like to start the sublevel as soon as possible, but I need to set up the quad launcher creation sequence with you first, Shane.

Here's a tentative checklist of the status of the M22 level duplication process:
  • FCDowntown - Gotta fix that BSP error first, so this will probably be the last duplicated map :(
  • FCCorporate - Duplicated and mostly done, but the fights need to be adjusted and tweaked.
  • FCCorpSewers - Ready but not started (needs testing).
  • FCSlums - Duplicated and all I need is to finish the interrogation scene.
  • LlamaTemple - Ready but not started.
  • WeaponShop - I need to fix some things in the target range and double-check for BSP problems.
  • VoodooShop - Ready but not started.
  • WCFloor1 - Done.
  • WCFloor4 - Done.
  • WCSublevel - Shane and I need to implement the quad launcher creation sequence first.
  • PDXHQ01 - Done.
  • PDXHQ02 - Done.
  • GoatCity - Waiting on some shop signs from Ricemanu that I want to implement first.
  • GoatTemplae - Ready but not started (needs testing).
  • DXO - Done.
Then there's SolsBar, which uses a special map for M22 and which I think is already done (or if not, it will take less than 15 minutes to set it up). And the M22-specific maps FCSlumSewers, ATC, and DXEditing, which are all done and being tweaked or awaiting tweakage.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Also for th weaponshop you migth as well wait until things like vending machines are placed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually, I probably won't wait for the vending machines, I think they'll take quite a while to create, and actors are easy to copy between maps because you can just copy their Location properties so they'll end up in the exact same positions in each map :)

I'd rather have a complete M22 a few weeks sooner and then spend an extra 5 minutes copying those vending machines between M20 and M22 when they're done.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine