Map Requests

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Map Requests

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:Finally: I know DDL has said in the past that he won't be updating every character model because it'd take too much time (I don't blame him) and he said that he'd leave out certain NPC's that are never seen or only seen once (Rachal Mead for example). She's only in the Intro so I was considering removing her and placing Janice Reed's Female model there instead. She'll stick out like a sore thumb once HDTP's released and she isn't HD. Thoughts?
Most of the characters aren't being redone by HDTP, only the major ones. What DDL meant was that there are too many textures to contemplate re-doing all the civilian models, so basically only the commando's (MJ12, UNATCO, NSF etc.) and some of the major Characters are done. There'd be no way to do the other characters, the guy who did them left over 3 years ago I think.

In other news..

These aren't exactly masterpieces of modelling and texturing, but hopefully in the dark game environments they'll look adequately better than their brush counterparts :)
(Fun fact: the design of the bench is based on a photo I found of a bench at Liberty Island)
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

What is this I see!?! Actual round shapes for Deus Ex???

They look very good. What did you make them in?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Those are beautiful.. :')
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Love the bench! Not sure about that light though, could you try and put it in-game and show us how it looks with the actual engine lighting? Mostly I think it's the texture of the light itself that lacks the colour and detail of the old texture.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Wow! I love those models Dave!
Have you managed to get them ingame yet? :D
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
neokeitaro
Mole Person

Post by neokeitaro »

Wow, those models look amazing! Love the lamp, love the bench!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Love the bench! Not sure about that light though, could you try and put it in-game and show us how it looks with the actual engine lighting? Mostly I think it's the texture of the light itself that lacks the colour and detail of the old texture.
Yeah I think I should've tinted the colour, it does lack the nice darker edges of the original but hopefully it'll look ok ingame.

And I have no idea how to get these ingame, let alone with proper smoothing. I've always hated importing models into engines, and Unreal Engine 1 is perhaps the worst engine I've tried to deal with (next to Source..gah). Like I said Akerfeldt came up with some way to import stuff without the engine playing merry shenanigans with the smoothing groups, so it'll need that anyway.

m3rc1l3ss wrote:What is this I see!?! Actual round shapes for Deus Ex???

They look very good. What did you make them in?
My 3D program of choice is 3DSMax :) And Photoshop CS5 for texturing.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If we are going to be doing that kind of thing I very much recommend that one be made for the payphone. A texture on a rectangular box simply doesn't look that much like a payphone.

I also feel like it might be a good idea to do the jet engines as models rather than geometry because really good looking jet engines would, I think, go a long way towards making the 747 look like an actual plane. (Plus, the jet engine is cylindrical, so the collision thing would probably not be a problem.)

I have to resist the urge to say we should make everything high quality models ("But the coffee makers could look so nice." "Shut up.")
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Huh, a bench that looks like a bench, rather than a collection of rectangles growing from the ground. And another Edison brown gaslight replaced with a Daylight lamp fixture.

I just looked through the visual walkthrough, looking for that granite coffee-maker (sculpted from the countertop it was on), and couldn't find it. Instead, I was reminded of how spare and primitive DX maps are (TNM spoiled me). I'm enjoying all these screenshots, of Etch-a-Sketch mapping being replaced with realistic objects.
Renmazuo
Thug

Post by Renmazuo »

justanotherfan wrote:I just looked through the visual walkthrough, looking for that granite coffee-maker (sculpted from the countertop it was on), and couldn't find it.
I think I remember one in the first part of VersaLife, next to the sitting guy that tells you 'you look like you could have the gift.'

edit: never mind, it's on a wood countertop.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Renmazuo wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:I just looked through the visual walkthrough, looking for that granite coffee-maker (sculpted from the countertop it was on), and couldn't find it.
I think I remember one in the first part of VersaLife, next to the sitting guy that tells you 'you could have the gift.'
Dunno about that. But there is one in the break room in the Underground labs:

By nerdenstein at 2011-08-15
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The new Stoneage Drip Coffee Machine. Totally believable. I'm certain that's with New Vision and using a stone texture, since I remember it being just gray.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

It is indeed.
Which is why we'd need to remake it or steal the Coffee maker model from TNM. ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

...we have a coffee maker model?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:...we have a coffee maker model?
Totally off topic, but you guys have got to check out TNM with the NV V1. I've got the OpenGL renderer and frankly, Crysis wishes it looked this good. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional